Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Travel Advisory: New U.S. security procedures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Travel Advisory: New U.S. security procedures

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: AC*SE, NW Silver
Advice please!

After solidly following this forum and studying CATSA regulations for over two weeks, I can't postpone my travel any longer, so tomorrow I begin my weekly year-long travel between Canada and the US. How unnerving it is that altho I've travelled solidly for over ten years, I feel like a kid who has never before seen an airplane (but I'm struck with dread rather than excitement).

My first weekly set of trips is Winnipeg to Toronto to Newark (which is only pertinent if the CATSA-agents in Toronto or the line-ups in Toronto, are particularly problematic).

Here are the questions that still perplex me:
Q1: Can I take my normal baggie (usually stuffed to the max) onboard? CATSA has made no mention of items in baggie. Nor have they discussed the 3oz-max sizes of shampoo, face lotion, lip gloss, mascara, etc. on their one-page synopsis, yet one of their FAQs says the limits with such liquids remain the same. Has anyone taken a baggie of stuff with them onto the plane? Or is everyone checking their baggie-type stuff now?
Q2: Will my soft-sided Tumi multi-zippered-section bag in which I usually carry my laptop, be allowed? It has no wheels. It looks a bit like a briefcase I suppose, but it IS my laptop bag that I've been travelling with for ten years.
Q3: Presuming I can carry my Tumi bag, can I ALSO carry a small purse over my arm? Or would I be better off putting my small purse INSIDE one of the sections in my Tumi bag? Or will that evoke immediate CATSA-ire? (But perhaps it would derail them from noticing the other items in my Tumi?)
Q4: Can I put my scheduler/date-book in my Tumi? How about other business papers or receipts that may or may not be in file-folders -- can I put them in my Tumi?
Q5: I've read in this forum that people have taken their power cord in their laptop-bag, and I presume I can take my laptop security-cable, but can I take other misc items like paper-clips, bulldog-clips, mini-umbrella, hairbrush, comb, pens/pencils, non-liquid makeup?
Q5: Can I put my noise-reduction headphones AND my Skype headset in my Tumi?
Q6: Can I put a few items of clothing in my Tumi?
Q7: Do I SERIOUSLY have to put my cellphone, passport, keys, eyeglasses-case, wallet, etc. -- the stuff I normally put in my purse -- in my POCKETS??? I have very few pockets in my clothing. Can't I leave this stuff in my purse (which you may advise me to put INSIDE my Tumi -- see Q3 above).

The items I want to take are those things I CANNOT do without -- should AC lose my checked bag.

I would REALLY appreciate any advice from this forum's followers.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Q1: Have not tried liquids since I have to check a case anyway.

Q2, Q4, Q5B: definite yes.

Q3: I believe a purse and a laptop bag is OK, but you might want to read through the thread to check for yourself. CATSA says neither "counts" but ...

Q5A: Not sure about that umbrella, it could attract attention.

I may be seeing you on the EWR flight in a week's time!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by quank
... It was a very quiet Sun night so Im curious what a busy time would be like. However, my experience shows that either the allowable items on board are starting to ease or maybe YEG is more lax than some of our other Canadian airports.
From what I understand YEG has been one of the few common sense airports throughout the whole ordeal.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:16 pm

Ooops on the two Q5s! Thanks for your thoughts, tomh009. But what about Q6 and Q7?

This week (Mon, 11Jan), I'm taking AC772 (departs 905pmET) from Toronto. But that presumes 2hrs and 11 mins is sufficient to get from my Winnipeg-Toronto arriving flight AC268, thru the multi-stages of Customs and security, to board AC772. Do you think that will be enough time? This presumes my flight from Winnipeg is on-time, of course. Arrrggghhhh.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by tomh009
So you are confident that the bad guys don't have (real or fake) US driver's licences to use as ID, and willing to bet your security on it? I guess none of the 9/11 attackers were living in the US, either, were they?
Good grief, I just stated a fact about what TSA accepts as ID. I didn't express an opinion on its effectiveness as a security measure.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM)
Originally Posted by tomh009
Q1: Have not tried liquids since I have to check a case anyway.

Q2, Q4, Q5B: definite yes.

Q3: I believe a purse and a laptop bag is OK, but you might want to read through the thread to check for yourself. CATSA says neither "counts" but ...

Q5A: Not sure about that umbrella, it could attract attention.

I may be seeing you on the EWR flight in a week's time!
On liquids by all accounts it is permitted but I just wonder how you are supposed to carry them.

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/Page.as...ageurs&lang=en
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:42 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by Bokehman
On QP Baird mentioned the carry-on rules may be changed in a few days.

So the reason for no carry-on (meaning 'luggage' kind of carry-on) was due to the fact that we're just not capable of handling the extra amount of work at Canadian airports? And Pearson, with some of the HIGHEST landing fees in the world, cannot be properly staffed to do efficient hand checks of carry-on baggage?

So is it just that other countries aren't following that rule, and letting people go through? Or that they're actually capable of doing that?
Where does the money go? It all goes towards the epic construction of the high speed walkway in T1! YYZ T1 must rank as one of biggest flops of all of the new airports to open in the last 30 yrs.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:15 am

Thank you to user SLC-YYZ for pointing out the new Q/A on CATSA's site regarding liquids/gels! Here's what SLC-YYZ found for us:
----
CATSA Q: "Will there be any changes to the restrictions on liquids, aerosols and gels?"
CATSA A: "No, the restrictions will remain the same for liquids, aerosols and gels."
----
CATSA Q: "New: Can I still take liquids, aerosols and gels onto a flight to the United States if they are in containers less than 100 ml and fit into a 1 litre clear plastic bag?"
CATSA A: "Yes. These are considered personal items and can be carried onto the plane."
----
So yes, good question you posed: How are we supposed to get our 1-litre baggie onto the plane? Could I put it in my small purse? I still can't figure out what's legit to put in a small purse, considering at the top-left of the CATSA two-pager it stipulates what is to be "worn on the person" and what is to be carried "in pockets", and elsewhere it says the items listed can't be carried inside a larger bag, which BTW, suggests to me I CANNOT put my small purse inside my laptop-bag. Maybe I can put an EMPTY small purse into my laptop bag? Seriously. Is that legit? This is driving me crazy.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:48 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM)
It's all a crap shoot it seems...sort of like how the little company I work at implements policy/procedure. Sort of heartwarming to know it isn't any better at CATSA (maybe a poor measuring stick).

I am still trying to figure out if I should risk my 'briefcase' as it is my primary laptop bag (for reference...17" x 12" x 6"). I do have a little bag/purse/satchel that is within an inch of the purse requirements and my laptop will fit in...just pocketfuls of other stuff if I got that way.

And the kicker is I just relocated back to YYZ from SLC...most of my work is around the US!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flew to MCO yesterday via YYZ.

Cnx bag came out quickly,not tagged priority
US customs had 1 pax in front of me.Nexus not working,2 fellas in line there.
Got into a disageement with Catsa pre security screeners about my carryon bag,Sent to a secondary CATSA guy who said that since my bag did not have a computer in it,it would need to be checked.
I told him I had medication(s) (true) that were required and this was the bag they were in.Marginally bigger than current5.5x10x12 size.He allowed it without opening bag.Back to original CATSA guy who again said I was not allowed that bag.Told him to talk to the other fella at table who said it was OK

Security was quick from there,5 minutes later in MLL.

Left MLL at 3pm for a 445pm flight,gate was 169,IIRC,down centre section of Pearson US departure level.Line up to duty-free store.
Men to right,women to left,those with absolutely no carry-on to far left,AC agents kept calling for flights leaving within 15-30 minutes and were moved to front of mens line.Total time for me in line,1 hour 5 minutes.

Secondary screening had a couple questions,all items on desk from bag and pockets of large winter jacket.Agent verified destination
,I dumped all items from desk into my carryon in front of agent^,and was on my way.Took 3 minutes from start of search to finish.

Items of interest or note.

1. many families pulled apart with BPs ID items and children tend to go with mom.many screaming young kids who are confused ,bewildered and likely afraid.Moms are left to juggle kids while dad is in separate line.
2. Come late and get in fast lane.AC will call your flight,or go to desk just past shoe shine stand where there is a customer service agent.
3. according to Flight attendant,we should have had a near capacity flight,we might have left people behind for an ontime departure,
4.Waited 20 minutes at MCO for luggage at a belt with 2 flights arrived from Winnipeg and calgary.Westjet pax all travelling with families.I cannot remember the last time i waited for luggage
5.CATSA
6.1 bag carry-on limit was strictly enforced
7.Stay calm,even the big German shepard dog is friendly but serious looking
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:57 am

Duty Free Carryon

What is the story about duty free carryon at YYZ? If I buy something in duty free will it count toward the one carryon or is it in addition to my laptop bag?
Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:09 am

I realize this is an AC thread, but can anyone report on WJ at YYZ T3?
Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
The links on the stickied announcement thread don't work for me.

This entire thing is such a clusterf!ck. Temporary measures my @ss.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: AC Elite
Originally Posted by SitAlot
After solidly following this forum and studying CATSA regulations for over two weeks, I can't postpone my travel any longer, so tomorrow I begin my weekly year-long travel between Canada and the US. How unnerving it is that altho I've travelled solidly for over ten years, I feel like a kid who has never before seen an airplane (but I'm struck with dread rather than excitement).

My first weekly set of trips is Winnipeg to Toronto to Newark (which is only pertinent if the CATSA-agents in Toronto or the line-ups in Toronto, are particularly problematic).

Here are the questions that still perplex me:
Q1: Can I take my normal baggie (usually stuffed to the max) onboard? CATSA has made no mention of items in baggie. Nor have they discussed the 3oz-max sizes of shampoo, face lotion, lip gloss, mascara, etc. on their one-page synopsis, yet one of their FAQs says the limits with such liquids remain the same. Has anyone taken a baggie of stuff with them onto the plane? Or is everyone checking their baggie-type stuff now?
Q2: Will my soft-sided Tumi multi-zippered-section bag in which I usually carry my laptop, be allowed? It has no wheels. It looks a bit like a briefcase I suppose, but it IS my laptop bag that I've been travelling with for ten years.
Q3: Presuming I can carry my Tumi bag, can I ALSO carry a small purse over my arm? Or would I be better off putting my small purse INSIDE one of the sections in my Tumi bag? Or will that evoke immediate CATSA-ire? (But perhaps it would derail them from noticing the other items in my Tumi?)
Q4: Can I put my scheduler/date-book in my Tumi? How about other business papers or receipts that may or may not be in file-folders -- can I put them in my Tumi?
Q5: I've read in this forum that people have taken their power cord in their laptop-bag, and I presume I can take my laptop security-cable, but can I take other misc items like paper-clips, bulldog-clips, mini-umbrella, hairbrush, comb, pens/pencils, non-liquid makeup?
Q6: Can I put a few items of clothing in my Tumi?
Q7: Do I SERIOUSLY have to put my cellphone, passport, keys, eyeglasses-case, wallet, etc. -- the stuff I normally put in my purse -- in my POCKETS??? I have very few pockets in my clothing. Can't I leave this stuff in my purse (which you may advise me to put INSIDE my Tumi -- see Q3 above).

The items I want to take are those things I CANNOT do without -- should AC lose my checked bag.

I would REALLY appreciate any advice from this forum's followers.
To answer some of your questions from what others are saying ( I am flying out tomorrow YOW YYZ MCO & will report back)

In YYZ- only one carry-on has been permitted & you are not allowed to put a small purse in a laptop bag. Someone had done this & was asked to check one bag. All cellphones, headphones & other electronics as well as books are permitted and although the CATSA website mentions the baggie of liquids is okay, have not heard of anyone trying to bring this through. I would recommend you pack the purse & take out the wallet passport & a few other acceptable personal items(on th list) & put in your pocket. In some cases they wanted nothing other than the laptop & the accessoires in the laptop bag- so you have to carry the other items then put them back in the bag later , crazy as it sounds.

I hope they come to their senses & make changes soon however for now YYZ sounds like the tightest restrictions, other airports I heard they let you put personal items in your laptop bags & some places let you take a small purse AND a laptop bag, go figure. I will caution on taking as little as possible to not be stuck having to go back to check items.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:02 am
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by SitAlot

Q6: Can I put a few items of clothing in my Tumi?.
From secondary screener at YXU (US-bound) on 1/8:
headphones are ok; headphones case not ok
no clothes - "One thing they are really looking for is anything like clothes"

He was being very helpful in answering questions, so I didn't want to give him any grief.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.