Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Travel Advisory: New U.S. security procedures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Travel Advisory: New U.S. security procedures

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2010, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by KathrynFlyingAway
Has there been any investigative reports from newspapers on why there is such a significant disconnect between what CATSA says on their webpage and telephone help-line and what actually happens in airports? (I've been following the news, but haven't seen anything that looks like a solid investigation.)

It should be unacceptable that there's any disconnect between the two.

It should be a matter of investigation that people are following the rules and then arbitrarily told that, no, you'll need to carry your business-critical laptop in your hands, or you'll need to check your fragile and expensive (and easily stolen) camera lenses, or you'll need to carry your medicines and wallet in pockets (rather than a zipper-protected purse).

When I spoke with CATSA (back before New Years), the woman I spoke with specifically noted the importance of being able to carry things like medicines, keys, and a wallet in a purse or tote, especially since "nothing but a laptop and its accessories" could go into the laptop bag. How can they then say Only a laptop bag or a purse. Not both?
I have not seen anything. And yes, I totally think that there needs to be some kind of investigation of the inconsistency happening here. Why is our security and transportation system incapable of organizing itself? Somewhere along the line someone in the government has to take responsibility for the implementation of these travel rules. Business is really going to hurt if this carries on for much longer. I puzzle about the rules that you can carry X and Y "on your person" and that you can carry a bag, but the only contents of the bag that appear acceptable are a laptop. Complete absurdity. When I travel through YYC next week I will take a laptop bag with my netbook in it, plus have pants with lots of pockets for the rest of my stuff. Surely, searching through my pockets will be more difficult than just looking in my bag. I probably don't even need a computer with me for this trip, but I figure I might get away with more stuff if I actually have a computer in the computer bag. How stupid is that for a mindset??

Thanks Margarita Girl for the update on YYC. I was sort of thinking of switching over to the YQR-DEN (I am going to SAN) flight in UA to avoid YYC as I expect that security will be more by the book in YQR--the CATSA people here are really very good, and you can talk to them too about stuff. However, I prefer to be on AC metal and the YYC route gets me into SAN in the afternoon rather than in the evening. We only have one hour in YYC, which is a worry though.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 2:24 pm

Has there been any investigative reports from newspapers on why there is such a significant disconnect between what CATSA says on their webpage and telephone help-line and what actually happens in airports?
I've hardly seen any "journalism" at all on this issue, never mind any investigative journalism.

The only thing remotely resembling an inquisitive attitude has been about the privacy & health issues surrounding full-body scanners. And while I understand why some people may be concerned about that, the bigger questions I have are more around, "will they actually increase security, and even if so, is it the best increase of security for a given amount of money?" Nobody seems to touch that.

Mostly I see stand-up interviews with VBITs who almost invariably say they'll accept any measure thrown at them in the name of security, apparently without any concern about the actual change in security or inconvenience to them

(Of course, I'm sure *some* reporter out there has managed to ask this question, but I haven't seen it.)
Old Jan 13, 2010, 4:50 pm

Rick Mercer Report

Here's some journalism by Rick Mercer!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...rt-canada.html
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
At least someone is willing to point out the insanity ...
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:07 pm

Paula Simons in The Edmonton Journal Jan. 7/10

Here's a column that apparently sparked several concerned calls to the Edmonton Airport Authority about its veracity....

http://www2.canada.com/edmontonjourn...4-5d9e601037bb
Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
Ok, I'm through YOW security.
The pocket contents and extras from my purse are now in my new 'carry-on' bag - a large Fakta plastic shopping bag from Denmark. It is about 14 x 18 x 6 and looks stuffed. On the other hand, my coat fits properly once again!
Thanks for the detailed report Kathryn. I hope you've now had time to enjoy a nice glass of the adult beverage of your preference to help recover from the ordeal.

I can't believe after all we've heard about not putting anything in laptop bags except laptops and accessories, they made/allowed you to put all that other stuff in.

Finally found a balance between cost and "non purseness" on a "personal item" bag for Mr. Cdn Traveller. Cost was an issue because it will probably be only be used (by him) for this one trip. Most of the time Mr. Cdn Traveller goes to the US it is for business and he would be carrying his own laptop. The exception was this trip with Mr.CdnTraveller Jr who in this case would be carrying HIS laptop, requiring Mr.CdnTraveller Sr to carry something else (not needing both laptops on a ski trip). MrCdnTraveller's temporary manbag is a neoprene mini messenger, in which he will be carrying necessary items such as GPS, book, wallet, etc.

http://www.onlinebags.com/en/Product...-Bag-5063.aspx

Following your post, however, he has chosen the first thing to go into said "manbag" the following in black (which I already own). Please disregard the insanity of putting a dog in the bag which is shown in the picture.

http://www.baggallini.com/product1.a...t=%27ZSS157%27

Once he has cleared all layers of security, the manbag, along with all the stuff he has jammed in his pockets will go into said bag for the duration of the trip. He originally wanted to use a re-usable LeBaron cloth shopping bag (similar to the Canadian Tire ones, but with all kinds of hunting equipment logos on it), however I convinced him that the baggallini bag with the zipper top would be more secure. Heaven knows what a kind of insane security measures a cloth bag from a hunting/fishing store would set off if spotted in an airport!

Thanks again, and congrats on finally finding an excuse to ditch the really nasty handbag.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:07 pm

28isGreat I showed the CATSA workers that two of the baggies in my purse contained meds and they still couldn't be carried either in my hands or in my purse. There was no arguing with them.

threepoint Not only did the empty water bottle get through, an empty hot water bottle (baby-size) got through. I had asked specifically at UA check in and she seemed sure it would be fine. I counted it as a medical device since I'd rather use it than Advil to deal with pain (flight attendants will fill it with hot water for me.)

As I said, everything I had was allowed, just not the container I had them in.

So Ottawa landfill has an atrociously ugly purse (honestly, what was I thinking when I bought it?!)

I took photos once I was through security. There are three posted here:

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee46/OsgoodeManse/

First is a photo of my laptop case and the Fakta bag with the purse and pocket contents.

Second is the laptop case that was questioned as being too big, and the third shot is of it with the newspaper in front of it so you can see how big it is.

BTW: while there is no scale for my laptop case, it is now inside the other laptop case giving me a second padded pocket. So you can surmise it must be quite small (it has just enough room for my IBM X40 (8.5x11") and its power cord)

I spent the whole day in a panic whenever I went anywhere because I didn't have my travel purse hanging from my body. I'm glad I didn't try taking it with me because that I would not have thrown out.

Aside from the stress of US security, I had an amazing travel day. Zero line ups, both my flights were 35 minutes early, both YOW and IAD had free internet (Google is giving free internet until Friday at IAD as a Christmas gift), our 4 checked bags were in the first 7 off the plane in SFO and we had In*N*Out for dinner!

Last edited by KathrynInCanada; Jan 13, 2010 at 8:32 pm
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by CdnTraveller
He originally wanted to use a re-usable LeBaron cloth shopping bag (similar to the Canadian Tire ones, but with all kinds of hunting equipment logos on it), however I convinced him that the baggallini bag with the zipper top would be more secure. Heaven knows what a kind of insane security measures a cloth bag from a hunting/fishing store would set off if spotted in an airport!

Thanks again, and congrats on finally finding an excuse to ditch the really nasty handbag.
The zipper closure will be appreciated. I put the Fakta bag in the overhead bins but had to keep tying the handles shut in case anything fell out during the flight.

I had originally wanted to put my folding backpack into my computer bag or a pocket but I was afraid it would be not allowed so I just brought the plastic bag since it rolls into a space smaller than 1/2 a roll of quarters. That I figured would not attract the attention of anyone.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:07 pm

Hi all !
I have been following this and similar threads since booking a flight to NewZeland from YYZ to LAX the on to NZ .
As a traveling photographer I am VERY alarmed at what I am reading !
It is making me quite worred about how I usually travel with one carry on , backpack style camera case and lap top bag ( all in One ) This is a pic of the bag I travel with :
http://www.kata-bags.com/productFRM2...&Version=Photo
or should I buy this to make it past security ? :
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/produc...puter-bag.aspx
I will wear a photo vest with a massive amount of pockets for cards , and other accessorizes .

This holds my camera , lenses , lap top ( 15inch) , travel docs , ipod and other stuff I use on the flight . I cannot afford to check this bag , it contains near $20 k worth of equipment . Not checking it .
Seems the new rules are NOT straight forward and even if it is a " purpose built " camera case , may still be rejected due to a call from a security official ...
Not sure what to due here ... any suggestions ?
Anyone else a working pro photographer traveling with gear ????

thanks
Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:52 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
YUL to ORD, 14-Jan, 07:20 flight

Here is my experience today, currently waiting in the MLL.

Arrived to YUL at 04:10 for my 07:20 AC/Jazz flight to ORD. I had printed my boarding pass at home. One person in front of me at the Gold/SE counter. Dropped my bag off with the agent within 5 minutes.

A quick check of my Tumi leather messenger bag style briefcase by a CATSA guy who asked me "do I have a laptop in there?" The guy ahead of me was carrying a backpack (like a regular school kid backpack) and the CATSA guy asked him if he had any clothes in the bag, because "you can't bring clothes in your carry-on."

To the Nexus security line, no waiting. 100% standard security check.

To the Nexus passport line, and had to wait 10 minutes for the big metal curtain to be raised and for the USA to "open for business." Once open, I was the first one through and it was the standard interaction. FWIW, by the time the big metal curtain opened, the standard line had about 100 people in in it.

Once through passport control you are steered through the new duty-free store and at the back of the store just before you would normally go into the main corridor of the concourse is a new security check-point manned by CATSA and Montreal police. They had a row of security desks on the left for the gates to the left of the duty-free and a row on the right for the gates to the right. My gate was to the left but I wanted to go to the MLL so I went to the right side. I was the first one to the line. The CATSA guy swabbed my hands and some of my stuff and checked it for explosives. The Montreal PD went through my bag. In my bag I had my laptop, power supply, iPod, earbuds, some candy, business cards, pen, 2 books, 1 magazine, and a clear plastic folder with my travel documents. Throughout the process, no one said a thing about the contents of the bag -- I guess it was 100% OK. In my jacked pockets were my wallet, keys, and Blackberry. They made me turn the Blackberry on, but not the laptop. They then marked my BP so that when I decided to go to my gate I wouldn't have to do secondary screening again.

I was sitting in the MLL drinking coffee and eating yogurt at 04:40.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 7:16 am

Programs: AC E75K 2MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Has there been any investigative reports from newspapers on why there is such a significant disconnect between what CATSA says on their webpage and telephone help-line and what actually happens in airports? (I've been following the news, but haven't seen anything that looks like a solid investigation.)
HA. Ha ha ha ha ha. HAHAHAHA.

Sorry.

There's been no coverage from the press at all on the inanity that is going on.

The current regulations make Ma & Pa Kettle "feel" safer, and are not discriminating against certain groups, so what's to investigate? You can be sure that if they were screening only those 14 countries, there'd be high murder screamed in the press.

The inconvenience to business travellers and the fact that what they are doing would not have caught the groin bomber anyway are not worth their time apparently.

Simon
Old Jan 14, 2010, 7:19 am

I've developed eczema over the years; it flares up over ski season due to the thermal socks. My doctor has put me on a prescription that involves a spray bottle (59ml) that is liquid. The bottle has a prescription label on it.

With the new war of common sense, my questions are:

-- do I put this in a baggie
-- do I put this in my laptop bag, or do I carry it in my pocket (regardless of answer to the first question)
-- do other medications (pill bottle) go in my laptop bag, or in my pocket?
-- can I expect complete buffoonery from the CATSA goons with respect to this spray bottle or is there at least some minimal level of intelligence there?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 7:38 am

Programs: AC SE
Great day at YULL

Today's numbers from YUL :

8:51 am bags tagged at SE counter
9:03 am past security, us customs (nexus) and in line for extra screening.
9:08 am past extra screening
9:09 am in MLL

Of note today is a change at the extra screening stage. There was no PAT DOWN being down at all. They did a quick swab of my hands for the ETD scan and did a very quick look at my carry on. They opened on 1 of 3 compartment, and did not search my jacket pockets which contained my blackberry, wallet and money.

It looks to me that fatigue has set in and the majority of the CATSA people I saw looked tired and bored.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by yyzprincess
I am travelling overseas via US next week. Was looking to change my flight to EX: BUF from EX: YYZ.

I was told not to do the change as the present policy no carryon is set to expire on 13 Jan.

I guess on the 14th I will know will it be EX: YYZ or EX: BUF.
It looks like the "no carry on" will not be rescinded soon, or in fact will be the "new normal" henceforward.

Appreciate hearing comments from those who travelled by air from Canada to the U.S. subsequent to the "no carry on" rule as to the flight load.

If the security and immigration pre-clearance are not busy, does it mean fewer travellers?

Any decline will likely be gradual as many bookings or engagements would have been arranged a while ago and too late to cancel, particularly with AC refusing to waive the penalty.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 9:30 am

clothes, laptop and camera - what are my chances

Originally Posted by footprints
A quick check of my Tumi leather messenger bag style briefcase by a CATSA guy who asked me "do I have a laptop in there?" The guy ahead of me was carrying a backpack (like a regular school kid backpack) and the CATSA guy asked him if he had any clothes in the bag, because "you can't bring clothes in your carry-on."
Originally Posted by fuse
Hi all !
I have been following this and similar threads since booking a flight to NewZeland from YYZ to LAX the on to NZ .
As a traveling photographer I am VERY alarmed at what I am reading !
It is making me quite worred about how I usually travel with one carry on , backpack style camera case and lap top bag ( all in One ) This is a pic of the bag I travel with :
http://www.kata-bags.com/productFRM2...&Version=Photo
or should I buy this to make it past security ? :
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/produc...puter-bag.aspx
I will wear a photo vest with a massive amount of pockets for cards , and other accessorizes .

This holds my camera , lenses , lap top ( 15inch) , travel docs , ipod and other stuff I use on the flight . I cannot afford to check this bag , it contains near $20 k worth of equipment . Not checking it .
Seems the new rules are NOT straight forward and even if it is a " purpose built " camera case , may still be rejected due to a call from a security official ...
Not sure what to due here ... any suggestions ?
Anyone else a working pro photographer traveling with gear ????

thanks
How strict is the rule about no clothes .... I am going YYZ-ORD-FRA with 16hours in FRA then FRA-BKK. I plan on having a shower in FRA and would like to change my clothes. I plan on taking a pair of pants, shirt and undergarments.

To make matters a little worse I have a laptop and a digital SLR camera with two lenses. I have lap top bag which is fine for my laptop. For my camera I have a bag that is not a purpose built camera bag but will hold and protect the one body and two lenses I plan on taking. The bag is the same size a medium size womens purse.

Somewhere between my laptop bag and my other bag I plan on taking my travel size liquids, medication and a full change of clothes.

Any comment on my chances of getting through security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.