Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Travel Advisory: New U.S. security procedures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Travel Advisory: New U.S. security procedures

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM
Relatively painless at YYZ at 3:00 today

The thorough search took only about 10 minutes, including standing in line, at YYZ today at 3:00 PM. They have multiple stations set up and I was fortunate to be heading towards the bus for the east satellite terminal, and the lineup at that station was very short. Six tables, two RCMP guys at each, only one or two people in line.

Search was thorough. Pointless, but thorough.

I had a messenger bag for my laptop with lots of extra room, and asked one officer - "Could I actually pack some clothes in this bag?" He said, "Sure, we've seen lots of clothing, so long as you don't mind us unpacking it all and examining it."

Hmm. I didn't think that was allowed and had very reluctantly checked my rollaboard. Might be able to do an overnight trip with only the one carryon after all.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Dia Amb
Originally Posted by Steverino
I had a messenger bag for my laptop with lots of extra room, and asked one officer - "Could I actually pack some clothes in this bag?" He said, "Sure, we've seen lots of clothing, so long as you don't mind us unpacking it all and examining it."
Ah, you must have been talking to a "left hand". The "right hands" are the ones that are on the other side of security examining what you're attempting to take through and making sure nobody tries to sneak in a few pieces of paper or some socks. They don't seem to go to the same meetings.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 2:31 pm

Meanwhile over in the Land of the Free and the Brave and the Allowed-To-Carryon:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/01/12...ips/index.html
Old Jan 12, 2010, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by mevlannen
On the way through YYZ, I'll be the one with the blue patchwork cap and the black stompy shoes, whistling Die Gedanken Sind Frei in the CATSA corral.
SOMEBODY STOP THAT GIRL!

She's carrying 4 sheets of paper in the left bank and now she's thinking freely!
Old Jan 12, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by mevlannen
<more> Of course, your wife is more than welcome to use 'park it in the left bank' as a turn of phrase. I learned it from one of my teachers at Strathcona Lodge School lo these many years ago, and who knows where she first heard it in her day?

Enjoy the day as found,

Mevlannen,
one of the Old Girls
Well how funny. She went to the current Shawnigan Lake school as one of that institution's first resident girls in the late eighties. She'll be delighted to hear of the origin of the phrase.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:21 pm

Location: either in Salishaan, or at an isolated colliery in the Canadian northland
Programs: AC P75: previously, quintuple secret pterodactyl wings, every year
Well, I suppose I --could-- put a fairly major dent in the Canadian balance of trade with the right four sheets of paper (but not ever while travelling Stateside: my employer is utterly disinterested in conducting any business with the USA until the USD stablises in its new exchange rates).

I do not recall having been taught any economics other than (alas) home economics, whilst at Strathcona Lodgo School; but then again, maybe that was what the then boys-only classes over the way at Shawnigan Lake School were learning.

Pity that none of us took the special elective classes on Airline Management! Just imagine, maybe Calin would be reporting to us..... hmm, wait a minute, he does in the end, doesn't he?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Getting closer to being packed. Something seems wronged as my normal carry-on bag is stuffed as is my normal checked bag. Normally my carry-on has room for my coat so I'm thinking I may have overpacked but I can't think what I've brought that is out of the ordinary.

Anywhooo... my dh just mentioned that his laptop, charger and ticket folio is all that is in his (actually my) laptop case. Everything else will be checked, even his extra battery. DING DING DING...... Double checked and sure enough, TC won't allow us to check extra lithium batteries. So it is in the laptop case. It is required (one of our flights is 15 hours). Sigh.... I wonder how many extra batteries have been checked over this last 10 days?

(He never checks his computer or case so never bothered to learn that rule change two years ago.)

My laptop case will have my laptop, cord and our data projector. Hope that is ok because neither the laptop or the projector is being checked. I won't fly (the projector is pnly needed for the European segment of this trip so I'll just head straight there and skip the first three segments of the trip before I risk losing either.)
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:43 pm

Location: either in Salishaan, or at an isolated colliery in the Canadian northland
Programs: AC P75: previously, quintuple secret pterodactyl wings, every year
Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
... and our data projector.
Wow, I am seriously impressed. I take it that data projectors have gotten much smaller than they used to be.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 5:15 pm

This projector is a viewsonic, is at least 6 years old and weighs under 3 lbs. We've decided dh will try to carry it as his 'purse'. In its case, it is 3"x7"x8", with its power cord. (There's another case, slightly deeper for the video cables and lockdown cable.)

There are smaller ones that our Japanese contacts often demo with and ours is loud, but we broke even with it on our first training gig when we needed a projector for 10 days and the rental from the hotels was US$5K. We paid C$3500 for this one.

We also use it at home for watching movies as it has rear projection so we put it in the dining room and project onto a 60" screen mounted on the arch between the living and dining rooms. (We've used it in hotels to watch movies off the computer but it is distractingly noisy.)
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
YYC update at 5:30 p.m. today

Flew from YYZ-YYC this afternoon, and thought I'd spend a bit of time in the YYC domestic lounge before going over to the cross border area on my way to IAH. With 1.5 hrs to go before my flight, the lounge attendants urged me to get over to the US side. (BTW I took my roller bag as a carry on from YYZ-YYC.) First went to the AC counter to get my bag tagged. The agent told me I would never be allowed through with my laptop bag (too big) plus I had a purse. Luckily I had printed out the info from the CATSA website that Kathryn provided so I was confident that I was fine.

Used Nexus to clear customs, but it wouldn't have mattered as I was the only person in the entire customs area, plus one customs agent! So that took 10 seconds.

Dropped my bag on the conveyor belt.

Then went to security. 3 lines open, and again, no one there. DID NOT GET FRISKED. Security looked through my purse and laptop. Were a lot less thorough than at YYZ last week, plus there was only 1 security screening unlike the 2 in YYZ. From the time I got to the US area until I'm seated in front of my gate: about 10 minutes!

I just saw the boarding of a flight to SEA. I estimate about 8-9 passengers.

Just my luck though, the flight I am on has J=0 and I used a SSWU to upgrade from YYZ-YYC, so won't get the 2nd half of my upgrade.

Just like my experience at YYZ last week, the cross border area of YYC is a ghost town.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:42 am

Ok, I'm through YOW security.

Sigh.....

First the setting: No lineups anywhere. Our flight is at 9:30, we arrived around (but possibly later than 7:45) and were sitting down at 8:05. Of course the earlier morning flights had already gone. We are flying UA this trip.

The big news (as far as I'm concerned): YOW has free wifi now!!!!!

Here's our experience:

Only a laptop bag or a purse. Not both. Therefore must check the purse. It is now in the trash. (BTW, the check in lady did not tell us to check any of our extra stuff, this was from the person who supervises you putting your checked bag on the belt.)

The contents (my kippy bag, smaller clear plastic pouch of prescription eye drops, kippy-sized bag of OTC meds, my eye glasses case, empty 8oz water bottle, tooth brush, comb, three plastic bags of bills (Euro, US, Kroner) and inflatable back and neck pillows) were moved to my pockets and my husband's larger laptop bag (we swapped for the trip so he had to carry the projector.)

I also had a small bag of food which also had to be stuffed into pockets and laptop cases. I specifically asked if I could carry the items in my hands and was told no, they must be in the laptop case. I then asked if it was ok to carry my passport in my hand and was reprimanded for being snarky. I pointed out that they had told me that everything had to be in a case or pocket so I was just confirming it was OK to carry passport, boarding pass and US Immigration card in my hand.

To be clear, I was allowed all these things, I just had to put them in a laptop case.

The projector had to fit inside dh's laptop case along with all my things, he could not carry it separately although it was in a purpose built 7"x8" case.

The laptop cases are overflowing; actually, they were pretty overflowing before we added the purse contents since they also had newspapers, magazines and our flight document folders.

At the check where they tell you your checked bag has cleared x-ray there was a debate amongst the CATSA as to whether or not dh's laptop bag was ok. You see, it is a top loading bag and the picture from the website (she had a printout of it) showed the bag opening up completely. If it had not been allowed we would have been screwed.

Security didn't care about anything. Laptops weren't turned on. They were just pulled out into their own bins along with the projector. I left everything in my pockets of my coat and sweater but removed my jean contents.

My pat down was superficial. My dh, who had only removed the metal from his pockets was given a major pat down. He had to open up his handkerchief, his business card case and wallet was rifled through, etc. They looked that the soles of his feet (socks on.)

The pocket contents and extras from my purse are now in my new 'carry-on' bag - a large Fakta plastic shopping bag from Denmark. It is about 14 x 18 x 6 and looks stuffed. On the other hand, my coat fits properly once again!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:59 am

Programs: AC*E
What a pain. Been researching what I can and can't take for a few days now and have read a lot of this thread.

Here's what I'm planning on taking on board tomorrow (YYZ-YYC, YYC-HNL):

1) Laptop and associated accessories in a backpack laptop bag
- a few other bits in there such as a few things to eat and some notes I'm sure
2) Digital SLR camera with associated accessories in a "purpose designed carrying case" (fairly small, Lowepro Slingshot 200)

For #1
- rules do not indicated you cannot bring this type of case (be it AC or CATSA's sites), but leaves a huge grey area between a standard laptop bag and a roller laptop bag (as given by description and pictures on CATSA's site)
- indications of success posted on this thread

For #2
- rules indicate you can bring this in a "purpose" carrying bag

Questioning if this is "too many" items but as per posted policies there's a "zero carry-on policy" and these items, according to the CATSA are "not counted as carry-on" and on the AC site as "1 or more personal items"

Anyone had any issues with bringing these items as described as well as bringing multiple, "non-carry-on" items? Sounds like the overwhelming experience indicates this will be fine but there will always be the risk of uninformed screener. Just making sure I'm not missing something obvious here that will trip me up.

Linked to sources:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/trav_adv/091230.html
http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/file/li...)%20-%20EN.pdf
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: AC E
empty 8oz water bottle...To be clear, I was allowed all these things, I just had to put them in a laptop case.
That got through?!?

wallet was rifled through, etc.
There's a line that they're rapidly approaching. I would not take too kindly to this. Put it through the x-ray a second time if you wish. Keep your grubby paws off the loot.

I have the um, pleasure of my first post-Christmas transborder flight in about five hours. Non-peak at YVR - fingers crossed.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Steverino
The thorough search took only about 10 minutes, including standing in line, at YYZ today at 3:00 PM. They have multiple stations set up and I was fortunate to be heading towards the bus for the east satellite terminal, and the lineup at that station was very short. Six tables, two RCMP guys at each, only one or two people in line.

Search was thorough. Pointless, but thorough.

Hmm. I didn't think that was allowed and had very reluctantly checked my rollaboard. Might be able to do an overnight trip with only the one carryon after all.
Sounds like the Mounties are being logical and using discretion. CATSA management should grow tired of that pretty quickly.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: United premier
Ok, I'm through YOW security.

Sigh.....
Only a laptop bag or a purse. Not both. Therefore must check the purse. It is now in the trash. (BTW, the check in lady did not tell us to check any of our extra stuff, this was from the person who supervises you putting your checked bag on the belt.)

The contents (my kippy bag, smaller clear plastic pouch of prescription eye drops, kippy-sized bag of OTC meds, my eye glasses case, empty 8oz water bottle, tooth brush, comb, three plastic bags of bills (Euro, US, Kroner) and inflatable back and neck pillows) were moved to my pockets and my husband's larger laptop bag (we swapped for the trip so he had to carry the projector.)

I also had a small bag of food which also had to be stuffed into pockets and laptop cases. I specifically asked if I could carry the items in my hands and was told no, they must be in the laptop case. I then asked if it was ok to carry my passport in my hand and was reprimanded for being snarky. I pointed out that they had told me that everything had to be in a case or pocket so I was just confirming it was OK to carry passport, boarding pass and US Immigration card in my hand.
Has there been any investigative reports from newspapers on why there is such a significant disconnect between what CATSA says on their webpage and telephone help-line and what actually happens in airports? (I've been following the news, but haven't seen anything that looks like a solid investigation.)

It should be unacceptable that there's any disconnect between the two.

It should be a matter of investigation that people are following the rules and then arbitrarily told that, no, you'll need to carry your business-critical laptop in your hands, or you'll need to check your fragile and expensive (and easily stolen) camera lenses, or you'll need to carry your medicines and wallet in pockets (rather than a zipper-protected purse).

When I spoke with CATSA (back before New Years), the woman I spoke with specifically noted the importance of being able to carry things like medicines, keys, and a wallet in a purse or tote, especially since "nothing but a laptop and its accessories" could go into the laptop bag. How can they then say Only a laptop bag or a purse. Not both?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.