Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Travel Advisory: New U.S. security procedures

Old Dec 26, 09, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite

Hi there, I guess I posted this in the wrong forum and it had to go get moderated prior to being approved to show on that forum. I'm a long time lurker and this is one of my 1st posts, hopefully its not duplicated, but I did do a search and came up empty so I thought I'd post this for everyone.

I personally am not liking the idea of not being able to leave my seat an hour before I land. I wonder how strict they will be enforcing this rule. What if someone really has to go to the washroom?!?

MONTREAL December 26, 2009 -- Air Canada advises passengers travelling to the U.S. that due to enhanced government security measures air travellers should arrive early at airports to allow extra time to clear security screening. Passengers should also expect flight delays, cancellations and missed connections, and limit themselves to a single piece of carry-on baggage.

Air Canada recommends passengers travelling to the U.S. to arrive early at the airport for their flight in order to allow adequate time for additional personal searches. Under new rules enacted by Transport Canada and the U.S. Transportation Security Administration, passengers and their carry-on baggage will be subject to full searches both at airport screening points and prior to boarding at the aircraft gate area.

As a result of the added security precautions, passengers should also expect delayed and cancelled flights as well as missed connections. Air Canada will endeavour to transport passengers to their destination as quickly as possible and rebook passengers who miss their connections at no charge.
While these measures directly affect only flights from Canada to the United States, domestic and international flights may also experience delays due to airport congestion and delayed aircraft. For information on a flight's status please consult www.aircanada.com.

In addition, new rules imposed by Transport Canada will limit the amount of carry-on baggage to one item per person travelling on flights from Canada to the United States. Existing checked baggage rules remain in effect. For details on checked baggage allowances, please consult http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...age/index.html.

"The safety of our customers and staff is our number one priority at Air Canada," said Duncan Dee, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer. "Our operations teams will be working closely with airport and government authorities to minimize any inconvenience to our customers and to ensure that our customers reach their destinations safely and comfortably."

New rules imposed by the U.S. Transportation Security Administration also limit on-board activities by customers and crew in U.S. airspace that may adversely impact on-board service. Among other things, during the final hour of flight customers must remain seated, will not be allowed to access carry-on baggage, or have personal belongings or other items on their laps.

More information for customers on affected flights, including options for rebooking flights online and updates on delayed baggage tracking, is available at www.aircanada.com.
Old Dec 26, 09, 5:21 am

Programs: AC SE MM, UA MP 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, hhonors Diamond
New security policies for AC post NW253

The alert on ac.com is just nuts. Expect delays and cancelations. Only one carry on item, no standing for the last hour. Seems like a kneejerk reaction to one specific threat. Some rational response would be appreciated, but is certainly not expected.

Travel is going to be painful. Looks like transport Canada has done this to us so assume we will be allowed two bags coming home.
Old Dec 26, 09, 5:35 am

Exclamation New U.S. security procedures: secondary pat-down search; 1-carry-on item limit

http://www.canada.com/news/story.html?id=2381565

New airport security procedures implemented for all U.S.-bound flights

By Philip Ling, Canwest News Service

OTTAWA -- Passengers travelling to the United States should expect delays at Canadian airports as major changes to security procedures come into effect Saturday morning, a day after a suspected terrorist attack on a U.S. airliner.

Every passenger on flights to the United States will be subject to a secondary search at the gate area prior to boarding the aircraft - which will include a physical pat-down search and a hand search of carry-on luggage, Air Canada and WestJet said in separate news releases early Saturday.

The new measures will also limit the amount of carry-on baggage to one item per person travelling on flights from Canada to the United States. Previously, passengers were permitted to a carry two bags on board.

The country's two biggest air carriers said they are following new security procedures enacted by the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority - the Crown corporation that oversees screening at the country's airports - and U.S. Transportation Security Administration.

Air Canada said new rules will also limit activities by passengers and crew while in U.S. airspace. "The final hour of flight customers must remain seated, will not be allowed to access carry-on baggage, or have personal belongings or other items on their laps," Air Canada said, citing new U.S. policies.

http://cnw.ca/en/releases/archive/De.../26/c5725.html

Air Canada advises travellers to the U.S. to arrive at airports early; expect delays, cancellations due to added security screening; and to limit carry-on baggage to one carry-on item

MONTREAL, Dec. 26 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada advises passengers travelling to the U.S. that due to enhanced government security measures air travellers should arrive early at airports to allow extra time to clear security screening. Passengers should also expect flight delays, cancellations and missed connections, and limit themselves to a single piece of carry-on baggage.

Air Canada recommends passengers travelling to the U.S. to arrive early at the airport for their flight in order to allow adequate time for additional personal searches. Under new rules enacted by the U.S. Transportation Security Administration, passengers and their carry-on baggage will now be subject to full searches both at airport screening points and prior to boarding at the aircraft gate area.
Old Dec 26, 09, 5:40 am

Exclamation

And here's the travel advisory posted on AirCanada.com:
http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/trav_adv/091226.html

It's going to be awful, I suspect...
Old Dec 26, 09, 6:12 am
DJC

Programs: AC - Super Elite, AA - Platinum, DL - Basic, HHonors - Gold, SPG - Platinum, Fairmont - Gold
Strangely, I have yet to find the announcement of similar restrictions on the TSA's website or, for that matter, UA's.

This is going to be hugely disruptive and creates a nightmare for me if these restrictions stay in through January given that I'm supposed to be going on the road for two weeks with laptop, numerous papers, etc. and was absolutely banking on two carry-ons.

I'm guessing that this, like shoe removal and liquids in ziplocs, etc. is going to be here to stay.....
Old Dec 26, 09, 7:53 am

Thank goodness Ms. PE and I left on Christmas Day on QX/AS YEG-SEA-PSP! In SEA just before boarding airport CNN was on as the drama unfolded. No one seemed that concerned.

On the SEA-PSP flight a young girl went to the restroom several times including at least twice in the last hour. Upset stomach? Can't imagine the nonsense that the 'staying seated for the last hour' is going to cause.... No personal effects in your lap? Will that include blankets and magazines? What sheer lunacy all of this is....

This is going to be a gong-show and I express my sympathies to those who will have to experience this howitzer attack on a mosquito today and in the days that follow.
Old Dec 26, 09, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
This is going to be a huge headache, esp how they can effectively communicate to passengers in the next few weeks.

I guess on short hops like LGA-YYZ, I will be glued to the seat, and if I need to work on my laptop to remember to keep luggage under the seat as I will not be able to get up in the last hour and get into the overhead compartment.

I would be very interested in knowing what other countries are having to do this, and why choose Canada? I could not google any other countries listing this restriction (including KLM).
Old Dec 26, 09, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, AC, VIPorter Passport, SPG Plat(LT Gold), HH Gold
Originally Posted by neuron View Post
I would be very interested in knowing what other countries are having to do this, and why choose Canada? I could not google any other countries listing this restriction (including KLM).
British Airways has announced the 1 carryon policy too.
Old Dec 26, 09, 8:41 am

Location: YYZ; AC SE MM * UA PP * BA G * DL SM MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Accor Platinum * Queen's 92
I guess on short hops like LGA-YYZ, I will be glued to the seat, and if I need to work on my laptop to remember to keep luggage under the seat as I will not be able to get up in the last hour and get into the overhead compartment.
You won't need to worry about that.

You won't be allowed to use your laptop, Kindle, iPod, book, newspaper, blanket or pillow for the last 60 minutes.

You will be strapped into your seat staring straight ahead.

Of course, no bad guy would ever think to do this 65 minutes before landing or 8 minutes after take-off.

Simon
Old Dec 26, 09, 8:41 am

Location: YYZ; AC SE MM * UA PP * BA G * DL SM MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Accor Platinum * Queen's 92
You won't need to worry about that.

You won't be allowed to use your laptop, Kindle, iPod, book, newspaper, blanket or pillow for the last 60 minutes.

You will be strapped into your seat staring straight ahead.

Of course, no bad guy would ever think to do this 65 minutes before landing or 8 minutes after take-off.

Simon
Old Dec 26, 09, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Redy2Rumble View Post
I personally am not liking the idea of not being able to leave my seat an hour before I land. I wonder how strict they will be enforcing this rule. What if someone really has to go to the washroom?!?
This could be a tough one for those of us travelling with kids on our laps - two of them in the case of me & Mrs. Flews, until they turn 2 later next year.

Still, it's a sign of the times, for our own protection.

Cheers,
Old Dec 26, 09, 8:47 am

Programs: various
This is, as expected from the US government, a way over the top response. Let's make sure that every passenger suffers with rules that in reality will make exactly zero difference to the current security measures.

It's like they are trying to make air travel so painful that people will just stop travelling..........maybe that's the goal.......................kill the ailine industry.

Idiots!
Old Dec 26, 09, 9:56 am

New 'emergency security measures' in place at Canadian airports
http://www.canada.com/news/Emergency...565/story.html

"These new measures will affect all flights from Canada to the United States and include not only screening at the security checkpoint but also searches at the boarding gate," spokeswoman Suzanne Perseo told Canwest News Service. "This includes 100 per cent physical search of person and 100 per cent physical search of carry-on baggage and personal items."
What I want to know is what this 100% physical search means.......

TSA ... Spokesman Greg Soule said he could not confirm specifics on any new security procedures on U.S. domestic or international fights, only saying that "passengers might notice enhanced screening measures put into place."
Man, if I'm being forced to sit in a seat for the last 60 minutes of the flight, I'd think I'd notice those new measure.

This is going to be utter chaos at the airports. Forcing people to do secondary searches would mean that there would have to be double the CATSA staff at U.S. security to simply staff the gates. Are they even prepared with enough people to do it? And this is a holiday, too.

Good luck and god speed to anyone travelling today. (Though, I'd like to see if they've even implemented these measures at the gates/airports)
Old Dec 26, 09, 9:58 am

Bit of a case of shutting the barn door after the horse is gone don't you think?
Old Dec 26, 09, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by RockoHorse View Post
Bit of a case of shutting the barn door after the horse is gone don't you think?
The alternative being doing nothing? No, first update I heard yesterday I knew this would go down the same path as the Richard Reid shoebomber scare and sadly that first reaction seemed to have been borne out by the reaction to this latest incident.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: