South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
nsoltz, I wish you good fortune. At least you’re taking a long view, which should/might help!

For us, we need SA’s high summer in the Western Cape, so our options will tend to time out around Feb/Mar 2021.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
Hope that Feb/Mar 2021 can work out for you. Even with best-case predictions for a vaccine, it would take that long for mass distribution and innoculation.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Let's say SA does open its border in September for argument sake, how many potential travellers would run the risk of getting stuck in a second wave and end up stuck in SA. I think this will really start to play out if we do open up. While the SA economy is opening more and more, it has to or otherwise SA will turn into a major humanitarian crisis, the number of cases is growing larger by the day. At least in Europe there is somewhat sound leadership compared to what dribble is scrapped out in SA, it really is a country that would very easily turnaround without notice and shut everything down again at a drop of a hat. I think all bets is that there just has to be a vaccine ready in the next 3 months to calm fears and really return to normal international travel wise.

Even if borders do open, watch the government enforce ridiculous rules for inbound travellers that makes SA not desirable in the slightest. I think the real fall out economical is still to come. One of my best friends works for the Domestic Branch of the State Security Agency, high up, he says Gov has got a secret level 6 lockdown on the cards if needed if SA turns into an everyman for himself situation. It is has different forms from nationwide Eskom outage, civil unrest, severe drought ( Cape Town specific plan) and pandemic such as Covid - adapted from its Ebola plan. It is apparently a terrifying lockdown option.

I have adapted the approcach of just waiting it out and not overthinking it.
thijsseh and T8191 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 3:30 am

Update as per the minister of transport, this was just announced minutes ago. Sadly no changes to international travel, but more domestic airports to open which is in itself promising for international routes to be allowed in the future.

a)​All international passenger flights are prohibited except those flights authorised by the Minister of Transport.

b)​Domestic passenger flights are permitted subject to the following conditions:
(i) In addition to the original four airports that are currently operating, the following domestic airports will reopen from 01 July 2020:
• Bram Fischer International Airport;
• Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport;
• Pietermaritzburg Airport;
• Port Elizabeth International Airport;
• Richardsbay Airport;
• Skukuza Airport; and Upington Airport

Source:
T8191 and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Skukuza?!? At least 99% of the passengers traveling to that airport are safari tourists, the vast majority of those from overseas.

They can open the airport as much as they want, but with all the safari lodges closed and the KNP only taking day visitors from Mpumalanga and Limpopo, where will the passengers come from?

KMIA at least has some business traffic to Nelspruit, but one wonders whether there's enough demand for even one daily flight.

Johan
T8191 and vbnet like this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Skukuza?!? At least 99% of the passengers traveling to that airport are safari tourists, the vast majority of those from overseas.
They can open the airport as much as they want, but with all the safari lodges closed and the KNP only taking day visitors from Mpumalanga and Limpopo, where will the passengers come from?
Johan
My thoughts exactly. When I first saw that Skukuza was included, I really lost the will, as I just couldn't be bothered trying to figure out why it would be included now. Surely the cost of keepig it open outweighs any revenue from flights..?

ok, KNP has a conference centre at the camp, but really...? But does it really warrant a lot of business travel at the moment? Maybe it does? On the other hand, nothing surprises me anymore. The lodges must be in depair!
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The governments determination to kill the goose that lays the golden egg is getting more impressive by the day:

"The potential growth and post-COVID recovery of the tourism sector has been dealt another blow with confirmation – by Tourism Business Council of South Africa CEO, Tshifhiwa Tshivhengwa – that the Department of Tourism’s budget has been cut by R1bn (€51.5m)“The R2.4bn (€124m) budget for the Department of Tourism has been cut by R1bn – effectively 40%. And the majority of the cut (around 80%) is South African Tourism’s marketing budget,” he said."

Source

Way to go!

Johan
Old Jul 1, 2020, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
The governments determination to kill the goose that lays the golden egg is getting more impressive by the day:

"The potential growth and post-COVID recovery of the tourism sector has been dealt another blow with confirmation – by Tourism Business Council of South Africa CEO, Tshifhiwa Tshivhengwa – that the Department of Tourism’s budget has been cut by R1bn (€51.5m)“The R2.4bn (€124m) budget for the Department of Tourism has been cut by R1bn – effectively 40%. And the majority of the cut (around 80%) is South African Tourism’s marketing budget,” he said."

Source

Way to go!

Johan
totsiens...

David
Old Jul 2, 2020, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh well, I guess a lot of people know SA exists! And, let's face it, there are probably more pressing local needs for that money.

PS. Thanks, DELee, for expanding my vocabulary!
Old Jul 2, 2020, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191
let's face it, there are probably more pressing local needs for that money.
Sure, but whether that money will now actually be spent on more pressing local needs is something else entirely. SA being SA, I wouldn't bet on it!

Johan
acucobol likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A sad but totally predictable piece on the BBC News feed thes morning ... C-19 in townships, in this case Khayelitsha, on the coast SE of Cape town.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-53256879
Old Jul 5, 2020, 9:46 am

Sunday Times (TimesLive.co.za) by S'THEMBILE CELE

The Gauteng government wants the National Coronavirus Command Council (NCCC) to allow it to reintroduce hard lockdown regulations in an attempt to curb soaring Covid-19 numbers in the province. If approved, the move could see SA's economic powerhouse being shut down for up to two weeks at a time.

"Nobody goes to work and no-one moves. Then the economy opens up again for a particular period of time and then it closes again. So at least there is predictability and you can control infections in that way," health MEC Bandile Masuku said yesterday. He was speaking minutes before attending a provincial cabinet meeting.

With infections in the province having surpassed 54,000 by Friday evening, Masuku went to the meeting with a proposal for an "intermittent" lockdown, closing economic activity in intervals.However, the province could struggle to convince the national cabinet, which has the final say on the matter, as President Cyril Ramaphosa told the media on Friday that there are no plans to move back to level 4 or 5 of the national lockdown.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:46 am

Load shedding is starting to trickle in now, as the economy opens up the need for energy is growing and Eskom is starting to have issue providing such - as usual. Watch this be the start of a very serious national electricty issue as I am sure there will no funds now to bridge any needs as this has been all spent on Covid related issues. Eskom and Covid issues comabined could be the kick off of the true demise of SA heading Zim way.

Fingers crossed big time for a covid vaccine asap!
Old Jul 8, 2020, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flame3601
Fingers crossed big time for a covid vaccine asap!
Any chance of an Eskom vaccine as well?

Johan
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:44 pm

Any chance of an Eskom vaccine as well?

Johan
Will let you know if they ever find a vaccine for moron disease.
johan rebel, thijsseh and T8191 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.