Reload this Page >

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2020, 6:41 am

I seem to remember another program that supposedly was set up to "protect" people. Hmmm, what was that ....
Heads-up: New SA Immigration rules for kids
This'll be quite interesting, I'm sure.

I certainly don't want this to turn towards "Omni" but everyone seems to be sort of feeling around in the dark over what restrictions to put in place, keep in place, lift, etc. And, yes, some aren't bringing the light of actual science to bear on the problem (no, not the light in the body concept from the Dear Leader). But, in the end, we're all just going to have to see how this pans out over time with the best intentions at the time. The decision was suspended for two weeks and an appeal could likely be in the offing. And, as we all know, a lot can happen in two weeks. That sounds very blase after typing it. But, I'm sticking with it. Stay safe, stay healthy, do your best and encourage (but don't bark at) people to do the same.

As for travel to SA. I and family would go (we're currently in the US) in a heartbeat as, while we're mostly working as we travel, we mostly visit friends and family at their homes and are very light on the "tourist" things at this point. Indeed, we've been poking around for multiple trips - August/Sept 2020, December 2020 and 2021.
johan rebel likes this.

Last edited by jsnydcsa; Jun 6, 2020 at 6:49 am
Old Jun 6, 2020, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Interesting story on Repatriation flights, Sir. Would you be willing to say how much they charged you? I appreciate ‘escaping’ is almost priceless, but I’m just curious in the broader context.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:07 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by T8191
Interesting story on Repatriation flights, Sir. Would you be willing to say how much they charged you? I appreciate ‘escaping’ is almost priceless, but I’m just curious in the broader context.
It’s not really a secret I think. The price one way CPT/LHR was a shade under £700 each. If you were allocated a J seat it was great value. For Y, I think it’s more than a return trip would normally cost (haven’t priced this for years, so I might be out quite a bit). A family member has a Y one way ‘pending’ for about the equivalent of £310 (ex JNB).
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by T8191
You can have a look here for some ideas:
https://www.flysaa.com/za/en/us_repatriation.action
Recent flights by AF & KL were ~1000-1200 EUR to most of Europe, ET flight to IAD was circa 3000$ with connection in ADD
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mattp1987
We could also adjust our Western Cape plans to spend less time in Cape Town and do more of the Garden Route. Thoughts?
Would very much recommend. After a few times in CT and Stellenbosch, did the Garden Route to Port Elizabeth last April (flew back to JNB from there). Highlight for me is a few days in Knysna for restaurants and scenery (the town sits alongside and in a lagoon).
mattp1987 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 1:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Nothing to put too much stock in, but I’ve been passed a document from an international exporter operating in SA which claims international routes will open up in some way from mid-July.

I’m taking that with a huge pinch of salt, and assume it refers to cargo or some other scenario (since international passengers are currently restricted til Level 1). However, business travel is likely to be allowed before tourism (as is the case currently with internal flights) so regardless, that’s a date to look for in the short term.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by captainmargaret
Nothing to put too much stock in, but I’ve been passed a document from an international exporter operating in SA which claims international routes will open up in some way from mid-July. I’m taking that with a huge pinch of salt, and assume it refers to cargo or .
KLM, for example, has continued to serve JNB up to six times weekly throughout the pandemic, transporting cargo only.

Johan
Old Jun 7, 2020, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Kruger NP will open for day visitors from tomorrow. In their wisdom, they have decided that the number of vehicles allowed in will be restricted to one-third of the usual quota. They must have come to the conclusion that at 20,000 km2 the park is too small to guarantee 2-meter distancing. To further encourage visitors, picnic sites, hides and most store and gas stations will be closed. Also, they don't want vistitors to put any trash in the garbage cans.

Johan
DELee likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
KLM, for example, has continued to serve JNB up to six times weekly throughout the pandemic, transporting cargo only.

Johan
So did BA, ET, QR, EK and many others, I think in some days ET had 3 or 4 flights, including some repatriation flights with cargo on empty seats...
Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Let’s not forget that this has been the first week of alcohol sales being permitted, hospitals are now being slammed with Truama cases from alcohol related incidents and with other workplace traumatic injuries returning as result of a lot more people going back to work. Car accidents seems to be holding steady for the majority being during the day, however when bars open etc this will increase during the night.

This is obviously a very unwelcome addition to the struggling public and certain private sector hospitals that are having a large influx of Covid19 hospital admission cases. I know in Cape Town the private/public sector ambulance service both this week got totally smacked.

I reckon if we don’t see any level 5or 4 lockdowns being reinstated within the next 5 weeks we should still be on for opening of tourism this year internationally. Just hope it isn’t ruined by moronic sub-rules.

46 people died from Covid-19 in the last 24 hours in South Africa.... 45 were from the Western Cape and 1 from Mpumalanga? How's this even possible. If it wasn't for the Mpumalanga death then every death in the country was from the Western Cape.

Last edited by Flame3601; Jun 7, 2020 at 2:53 pm
Old Jun 8, 2020, 9:19 am

SATSA Webinar International Inbound Recovery 5 Jun 2020
CoolCanuck54 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don’t have 2 hours to spare right now to watch/listen to it all, but my impression is that they (whoever they are) are pushing hard for re-opening the country to tourism. At 1:28:00 there’s a chart that shows, I assume, their proposed timelines.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 2:12 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Uncle T - might be time to get back to the opticians for an eye-test ... the chart is from Australia, guess they're talking about the model.

thijsseh likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

oops!

As it happens, I do indeed need new spectacles ... this is a timely reminder!
thijsseh likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: IHG Gold
I've got a solo trip planned for SA in September, and again in October half term with the family. I appreciate tourism is likely to be blocked, but I wonder if this will be by not issuing tourist VOA? As my wife and kids are SA citizens (dual national), and I hold SA permanent residence (albeit that I'm currently in the UK)...
We'll have to wait and see I guess, but an upthread prediction of late September to open up again even if in a limited capacity would be beneficial for us, especially as if we need to quarantine, that's no bother as we'd be largely staying in family's houses anyway!
signol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.