Reload this Page >

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2020, 6:01 pm

I'm extremely hopeful that borders will re-open for tourism by September. I have been separated from my partner who is South African since March and I praying to be there September. The Tourism Business Council of South Africa is lobbying hard for September as well
Old Jun 10, 2020, 5:37 am

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
I have rebooked my SA-Zambia-Uganda August trip for late June-July 2021. That should hopefully be possible.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Screenshot from eNCA News suggesting the travel from SA to Europe will be permitted in July. According to the person who sent it to me there is nothing in the actual news program on the subject or on their website yet.

Old Jun 10, 2020, 9:22 pm

I'm not sure the bottom of the screen applies to SA. I think its just a general statement that Europe is re-opening to tourists, most notably domestic travel within Europe.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:22 pm

https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/artic...from-september

SA tourism industry is lobbying for a 1st September restart for “international tourism”. This would likely be subject to the C19 situation in the country of departure; it could mean intercontinental tourism vs international.

Still, a reason to have hope 🤞
The_Bouncer and CoolCanuck54 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:29 pm

He gives with one hand, and then...

https://qz.com/africa/1867165/south-...-to-let-visit/

If we can avoid being too stupid for a little while longer, I’d *hope* the UK graph long-tail is such that we can fly again. The other variable in this is SA not expecting it’s peak until September, so the UK’s situation may not be the blocker.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Sorry, not signing up for Quartz. Could you summarise?

We’re UK-Western Cape in December ... possibly!
Old Jun 11, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
Sorry, not signing up for Quartz. Could you summarise?

We’re UK-Western Cape in December ... possibly!
Interesting, it opened with no issues for me. Here are a few relevant paragraphs.

In the first phase of a plan put forward by the group, South Africa would welcome visitors from countries at similar stages of the pandemic. Subsequent phases would expand both the number of countries whose residents are eligible to visit and the destinations within South Africa to be visited.
One challenge with that plan might be it could shut out visitors from some of South Africa’s biggest tourist markets including the United Kingdom and United States, which are likely to still be in the throes of the pandemic for some time.
\\SNIP\\
For its part, the government envisions a resumption of travel starting this September, though not on the fast track envisioned by TBCSA. “Based on the Covid-19 epidemic expected trajectory, the first phase of the recovery for the sector will be driven by domestic tourism, followed by regional tourism and international tourism next year,” Kubayi-Ngubane said in May. “Although we will be gradually opening up the sector in the coming months, depending on how the virus is spreading, we expect that the sector will only fully recover towards the end of this year.”
Old Jun 11, 2020, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Interesting, it opened with no issues for me. Here are a few relevant paragraphs.
Grateful for that ... thank you.

So micro-management still reigns supreme? OK, their problem of course, and they must manage it as best they see fit.

My expectations of throwing GBP into the SA economy are diminished!
Old Jun 11, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond

So micro-management still reigns supreme? OK, their problem of course, and they must manage it as best they see fit.

I'm hoping to throw USD into the economy as well, but I don't think it's looking good.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton

It's starting to look like my EUR are possibly heading elsewhere too. I hope I'm wrong.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Subsequent phases would expand . . . the destinations within South Africa to be visited.
Who the heck dreamt that one up?

How on earth are they going to control tourists' movements once they have entered the country? Ankle monitors? Compulsory cell phone apps? Brand their foreheads? North Korean style chaperones (with masks and shields, of course)?

Here's a suggestion for the bright sparks in charge of all this: if you ever want your tourism industry to recover, just must do everything in your power to make visitors feel welcome. Tourists come to enjoy themselves. They do not want to be treated as infectious suspects and undesirable aliens, have their movements restricted and monitored, or be made to feel like a burden or nuisance in any other way.

Johan
Old Jun 11, 2020, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
How on earth are they going to control tourists' movements once they have entered the country? Ankle monitors? Compulsory cell phone apps? Brand their foreheads? North Korean style chaperones (with masks and shields, of course)?
Presumably in the same way 'leisure' domestic travel is disallowed today, roadblocks and the likes.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ditto
Presumably in the same way 'leisure' domestic travel is disallowed today, roadblocks and the likes.
Those can be bypassed by flying, unless they plan keep swinging that economic wrecking ball by keeping most airports closed for the foreseeable future, or preventing tourists from taking domestic flights. Both options would be a great way of enticing tourists to the country.

Johan
Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:47 pm

Plenty of countries are considering regional variations to lockdown levels should hot-zones in transmission rates occur. SA have said as much for the past several weeks - and it’s been a hot topic in the UK regions for a similar time.

Any country that sees a sudden rise in infections may take regional or national action. For international travel longer than a week, it’s possible that getting caught out by lockdown or restrictions are going to remain a problematic for travellers for some time to come.

It certainly doesn’t feel like a problem unique to SA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.