FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]
Old Jun 28, 2020, 1:13 pm
Flame3601

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Let's say SA does open its border in September for argument sake, how many potential travellers would run the risk of getting stuck in a second wave and end up stuck in SA. I think this will really start to play out if we do open up. While the SA economy is opening more and more, it has to or otherwise SA will turn into a major humanitarian crisis, the number of cases is growing larger by the day. At least in Europe there is somewhat sound leadership compared to what dribble is scrapped out in SA, it really is a country that would very easily turnaround without notice and shut everything down again at a drop of a hat. I think all bets is that there just has to be a vaccine ready in the next 3 months to calm fears and really return to normal international travel wise.

Even if borders do open, watch the government enforce ridiculous rules for inbound travellers that makes SA not desirable in the slightest. I think the real fall out economical is still to come. One of my best friends works for the Domestic Branch of the State Security Agency, high up, he says Gov has got a secret level 6 lockdown on the cards if needed if SA turns into an everyman for himself situation. It is has different forms from nationwide Eskom outage, civil unrest, severe drought ( Cape Town specific plan) and pandemic such as Covid - adapted from its Ebola plan. It is apparently a terrifying lockdown option.

I have adapted the approcach of just waiting it out and not overthinking it.