Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
Guide to JNB (Oliver R. Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg, Republic of South Africa)

Welcome to the guide to JNB.

If your have any further questions that have not been answered after reading through, please do not hesitate to ask.

Bear in mind that the minimum connection times given below are the shortest connections allowed for tickets on a single PNR. It would be advisable to leave more time than this, particularly if you are arriving during the busy morning period. If you are travelling on two separate PNRs, add on at least an extra hour to the MCTs to allow for whatever delays the Travel Gods may throw at you.

Do note that procedures can change so this guide may not be accurate. If you notice anything has changed or there are any errors, just let me know.

International-Domestic Connection

Minimum connection time: 90 minutes

Once you have deplaned, simply follow the crowd to the immigration hall.
After going through passport control, you will need to collect your luggage and pass through customs irrespective of whether your bags have been tagged through to your final destination.
Exit into the public area and proceed up to departures level by way of the escalators which are opposite and to the left. The escalator can take trolleys.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your destination and you have your boarding passes for the onward domestic flight, you can use fast bag drop.
Otherwise you will need to check-in as normal.
Alternatively, you can use the baggage re-check desks on the left before exiting to the public area (NOTE : These are permanently closed now - Oct 2022).
If you would prefer to avoid the porters and taxi touts in the arrivals halls, there are escalators to the left of these desks which will take you to level 1. From there you will need to go up one more level to reach domestic departures. (NOTE : These escalators are out of service now - Oct 2022).

The domestic terminal is designated as a separate terminal (Terminal B) but do not be confused by this. All the terminals at JNB are under one roof so you barely notice that you are transferring between them.

Domestic-International Connection

If you can interline baggage, you can check it through from your initial departure point to your international destination. Once you land at JNB walk out to exit (ignore signs to go downstairs to baggage reclaim), keep walking through the shops/past the food court, around the atrium and there is a security/emigration point on your front right.

Please see post #106 for an illustrated guide.
[although there is no need to go up the moving walkway and then back down again - just come out of the domestic exit and keep walking straight on that level, which will bring you to the security/emigration point]

International-International Connection

Minimum connection time: 60 minutes

This is where things become a little more tricky.

If you arrive at a jetway, you will see a corridor heading towards International Transfers on the left just before the escalators down to passport control.
If you arrive at a remote stand and are bussed to the terminal, you will see the escalators on the left heading up to International Transfers as you enter the building.
Both these paths are well signposted and there is usually a staff member shouting out "International transit" and waving a sign to direct passengers.
When you go down the corridor, there is a transit immigration point before the transfer desks. Typically the wait here is 1-3 minutes, very much quicker than 'normal' immigration.
Your passport will be stamped with a "TRANSIT" stamp here even though you do not enter the country, and you must ensure that you have the required blank pages otherwise you may not be permitted to continue your transit and instead sent back to your originating point.

A few meters beyond the immigration checkpoint is the main transit information area which have desks for all the international airlines and handling agents.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your final destination, ensure that you give your connecting airline the tag numbers at this time so that they can verify them in their system.
If the tag numbers are not re-verified, they will not be loaded without manual intervention. This is not required if connecting from SAA to SAA flights however.

If your bags have not been tagged through, you will need to find a member of staff in International Transfers from your arriving airline.
Ask them to get one of their baggage services staff to pull your bags off the belt manually and coordinate with staff from your onward airline to retag them to your final destination.

This is a rather convoluted process and can take a long time.

Therefore, if your bags cannot be tagged all the way through, it is advisable to pass through immigration, collect your bags at baggage reclaim and clear customs.
After you clear customs but before you exit to the public area (the exit is a set of sliding doors on your right), you will see a series of baggage re-check desks on your left.
Proceed to these desks since they often have smaller queues and have your bags re-tagged.
Then head up the escalators to your left (do not exit the main doors into the public area) which emerge on the departures level.
Turn right when facing the Vodacom store and the departures security checkpoint is right in front of you.

You can do the entire transit and enter/exit South Africa in less than 5 minutes if your bags come out quickly.

If time permits, the safest option is to clear customs and re-check your bags as described above rather than rely on the interlining system at JNB.

Have a look at post #9 of this thread for pictures.

Originally posted by Ambassador BA304.

Luggage storage

This is taken from the whyjoburg.com web site (April 2016):

BagPort South Africa, the original company that provided a luggage storage service at OR Tambo International Airport, has changed its name.

It now operates as Ateck - from the same premises down the escalators at the main exit of Terminal A arrivals, on Basement Level 1, going towards the Parkade 2 (South).

Costs are : (NB : CASH ONLY! No Cards Accepted.)
0-5 hours: R70.00
6-12 hours: R80.00
12-24 hours: R90.00
24 hours or more: R90.00 per day.

Open 24 hours, every day of the year.

Contact details :
Tel : +27 (11) 390 2689
http://www.a-teck.co.za/or-tambo-airport-store-teck/
Print Wikipost

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malmostoso
I'm writing from gate E4 at JNB. Lines at immigration were reasonable (I'd say about one hour wait).
That, I guess, depends on your definition of reasonable. At JNB I would define that as aircraft door to curbside in 10 - 20 minutes with hand luggage only.

Johan
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:49 pm

Hi, FlyerTalk! I'm a long-time lurker and this is my first post. I'm going to South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Namibia with my Zimbabwean-American husband for a honeymoon/homecoming (for him) trip over the month of September.

I've gone through past posts and I can't seem to find a definitive answer to my question. Given it's my honeymoon, I'm trying to read up/prepare as much as I can to ensure that things go off without a hitch. I know that this is Africa, and "we'll make a plan" and all that, but I'm trying to cross as many t's and dot as many i's in advance.

My husband and I are flying from VFA to WDH with a connection in JNB. The VFA-JNB flight is on BA (Comair) and arrives at JNB at 4.10pm. The JNB-WDH flight is on Air Namibia and leaves at 6.20pm. They were booked as one ticket on Expedia and have one confirmation number from BA (so, it's through their Interline Agreement). Both flights are in Terminal A. It's the last flight of the night to WDH from JNB on Air Namibia; the only other one that night is on SAA at 7.30pm. We're slated to leave Windhoek the next morning for a lodge in the Namib Desert.

Now, here are my questions:

-2h10m is not tight for this connection, correct? I know what the minimum connection time is--I'm asking as a practical matter and in consideration of the particular circumstances.
-We should be able to check our bags through, right (because it's on the same ticket)?
-If we check our bags through, do we need to do anything to make sure the bags get on the Air Namibia flight? Will we need to clear customs or passport control?
-Should we opt against checking our bags through given the pilferage situation in JNB? (On that note, does anyone know if the new VFA has the facilities to wrap bags?)
-If our flight from VFA is late, is there any chance of BA getting us on the SAA flight? Or are we stuck in Jo'burg until the next morning? Which airline takes responsibility for a misconnect and how flexible does BA or SW tend to be with regard to getting passengers on another airline's flight?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:24 am

denied boarding? issue with birth certificates

Planning the following:

DOHJNBWDH QR-BA international-international connection, no checked bags.

WDHJFKDAR SA-SA international-international connection, no checked bags.

Traveling with minors who do NOT have unabridged birth certificates. Well, technically they do, though my wife is listed by maiden name on one BC and on the other she's named but there's no additional information such as social security number.

Accordingly, we are NOT permitted to bring our children into South Africa. According to South Africa (the country, not the airline) transit passengers are exempt. According to Qatar, they are not.

I'm hoping to battle it out with QR since TIMATIC and South African government pages make it clear transit passengers (international-international) are OK without supporting birth certificates.

QUESTION - can somebody confirm that no immigration passage is required for two connections? Recall no checked bags.

Thanks - Jamie
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:53 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Planning the following:

DOHJNBWDH QR-BA international-international connection, no checked bags.

WDHJFKDAR SA-SA international-international connection, no checked bags.

Traveling with minors who do NOT have unabridged birth certificates. Well, technically they do, though my wife is listed by maiden name on one BC and on the other she's named but there's no additional information such as social security number.

Accordingly, we are NOT permitted to bring our children into South Africa. According to South Africa (the country, not the airline) transit passengers are exempt. According to Qatar, they are not.

I'm hoping to battle it out with QR since TIMATIC and South African government pages make it clear transit passengers (international-international) are OK without supporting birth certificates.

QUESTION - can somebody confirm that no immigration passage is required for two connections? Recall no checked bags.

Thanks - Jamie
There *is* an immigration check for intl connections (you get a 'transit' stamp) but I don't see how/why you'd need the SA-required birth certificates for a transit - although I have no direct experience.

Good luck!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
There *is* an immigration check for intl connections (you get a 'transit' stamp) but I don't see how/why you'd need the SA-required birth certificates for a transit - although I have no direct experience.

Good luck!
Hopefully we make it that far. I'm not encouraged that QR's policies contradict what IATA lists in TIMATIC as well as the policies published by the South African government. I guess it's time to book contingency flights to somewhere else
Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:00 pm

FWIW here's my experience on MRU-JNB-FRA on SA/LH.

Flight from MRU delayed and arrived on the B apron. Entered the A terminal at 18.00 with a boarding time for the next flight at 18.20.

First we had to go through a passport control where we got a "transit" stamp, then we had to go through security where the line had 50 people and only one detector open.

We had to ask people to let us through and luckily everyone was gracious about it, but there is no airport staff to address in case of a tight connection.

No need to have luggage tags checked, so I reckon the information in the wiki is outdated.

Arrived at the gate at 18.20 exactly after a hurried long walk, but boarding didn't start until 18.30.

Overall not a smooth transition, and even on the same ticket I wouldn't want to do it with less than two hours between flights (we had ~90 minutes).

EDIT: And our bags didn't make it on LH573

Last edited by malmostoso; Jul 25, 2016 at 2:45 am
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: Miles and More
I am flying LVI-JNB with SA and then connecting to an international flight with LX to ZRH. Is the Bidair Meet and Greet Service helpful for such international to international connection at JNB?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:09 am

IMHO no, but it really depends how much time for your connection you have. If you have >90 minutes just sit back and prepare for queuing. If it's a short connection, or even worse two separate tickets, you might try inquiring.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 9:57 am

I've read the thread at the front and at the back, and it sounds like there's changes. I'm arriving in JNB from DOH, then getting on another ticket to ADD. No luggage. Is it true that I'll need to go through immigration and that the wiki is not up-to-date?

Also, a few months ago at JNB the immigration line was horrifically long: two hours or so. Was that an anomaly or will I really need that much time? (I budgeted 4 hours, but I wanted to use those hours basking in the lounge.)
Old Sep 11, 2016, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by danielm
I've read the thread at the front and at the back, and it sounds like there's changes. I'm arriving in JNB from DOH, then getting on another ticket to ADD. No luggage. Is it true that I'll need to go through immigration and that the wiki is not up-to-date?

Also, a few months ago at JNB the immigration line was horrifically long: two hours or so. Was that an anomaly or will I really need that much time? (I budgeted 4 hours, but I wanted to use those hours basking in the lounge.)
We arrived from DOH at 10~ (so, the flight that left something like 0200) we were first off and first through immigration and then security rescreen. We were probably in the lounge within 30 minutes of deplaning. Similarly, we arrived around the same time FROM Namibia, had nobody in front of us as we repeated the process.

If you're on the other DOH flight, I don't know. But if you take the one we did, you shouldn't have a problem with the immigration/rescreen for transit passengers. Just make sure you have copies of your onward tickets to show the agent.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 11:59 am

We arrived from DOH at 10~ (so, the flight that left something like 0200) we were first off and first through immigration and then security rescreen. We were probably in the lounge within 30 minutes of deplaning. Similarly, we arrived around the same time FROM Namibia, had nobody in front of us as we repeated the process.

If you're on the other DOH flight, I don't know. But if you take the one we did, you shouldn't have a problem with the immigration/rescreen for transit passengers. Just make sure you have copies of your onward tickets to show the agent.
Thanks! Yes, I am on precisely that flight, so this is very helpful. In this case, I won't worry too much about it. My onward flight is actually to HRE on SA, so checking in shouldn't be an issue. Very glad to hear I'll likely have time to shower and rest up in the lounge after ORD-DOH-JNB. ^
Old Sep 11, 2016, 12:44 pm

Thanks! Yes, I am on precisely that flight, so this is very helpful. In this case, I won't worry too much about it. My onward flight is actually to HRE on SA, so checking in shouldn't be an issue. Very glad to hear I'll likely have time to shower and rest up in the lounge after ORD-DOH-JNB. ^
SA JNB lounge was quite nice. Unfortunately we spent a ton of time there. We had a 2 hr SA-SA connection. But in Windhoek they inexplicably forced all the non-locals to check their carryons at the gate despite them having passed muster for weight and dimensions at check-in. So that forced a significant delay. Then, despite being an international flight, we docked at the domestic terminal. So they had to send busses to get us over to the international terminal. Finally, they finish boarding and close flights 20 minutes before departure. So we misconnected. I hope you have a better experience.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 1:02 pm

SA JNB lounge was quite nice. Unfortunately we spent a ton of time there. We had a 2 hr SA-SA connection. But in Windhoek they inexplicably forced all the non-locals to check their carryons at the gate despite them having passed muster for weight and dimensions at check-in. So that forced a significant delay. Then, despite being an international flight, we docked at the domestic terminal. So they had to send busses to get us over to the international terminal. Finally, they finish boarding and close flights 20 minutes before departure. So we misconnected. I hope you have a better experience.
That sounds horrible! (Except the lounge, which sounds great.) Definitely don't want that to happen to me. I built in very heavy connections, but since my return flights are on three separate tickets a serious delay could have all the dominoes fall. This info on having to clear immig was very helpful, will report back tomorrow on my successes or failures.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:41 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !

Danielm - just to be clear, there is no significant change for an intl-intl connection as yours is. You have to clear transit immigration as has been the case for years, but it's not the same as regular immigration, as you're not entering SA. I have never experienced a queue of more then 2-3 minutes for transit immigration.

When you deplane, follow the herd towards immigration, BUT DO NOT GO DOWN THE ESCALATOR, rather bear left at the top of the escalator to international transit.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Danielm - just to be clear, there is no significant change for an intl-intl connection as yours is. You have to clear transit immigration as has been the case for years, but it's not the same as regular immigration, as you're not entering SA. I have never experienced a queue of more then 2-3 minutes for transit immigration.

When you deplane, follow the herd towards immigration, BUT DO NOT GO DOWN THE ESCALATOR, rather bear left at the top of the escalator to international transit.
I see! Thank you for the clarification. I will avoid the escalator at all costs. Very, very glad to learn I won't have to go anywhere near the regular immigration line. Am doing this in a few hours! BTW, do I need a hard printout of my itinerary on SA, or will phone/verbal explanation do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.