Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
Guide to JNB (Oliver R. Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg, Republic of South Africa)

Welcome to the guide to JNB.

If your have any further questions that have not been answered after reading through, please do not hesitate to ask.

Bear in mind that the minimum connection times given below are the shortest connections allowed for tickets on a single PNR. It would be advisable to leave more time than this, particularly if you are arriving during the busy morning period. If you are travelling on two separate PNRs, add on at least an extra hour to the MCTs to allow for whatever delays the Travel Gods may throw at you.

Do note that procedures can change so this guide may not be accurate. If you notice anything has changed or there are any errors, just let me know.

International-Domestic Connection

Minimum connection time: 90 minutes

Once you have deplaned, simply follow the crowd to the immigration hall.
After going through passport control, you will need to collect your luggage and pass through customs irrespective of whether your bags have been tagged through to your final destination.
Exit into the public area and proceed up to departures level by way of the escalators which are opposite and to the left. The escalator can take trolleys.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your destination and you have your boarding passes for the onward domestic flight, you can use fast bag drop.
Otherwise you will need to check-in as normal.
Alternatively, you can use the baggage re-check desks on the left before exiting to the public area (NOTE : These are permanently closed now - Oct 2022).
If you would prefer to avoid the porters and taxi touts in the arrivals halls, there are escalators to the left of these desks which will take you to level 1. From there you will need to go up one more level to reach domestic departures. (NOTE : These escalators are out of service now - Oct 2022).

The domestic terminal is designated as a separate terminal (Terminal B) but do not be confused by this. All the terminals at JNB are under one roof so you barely notice that you are transferring between them.

Domestic-International Connection

If you can interline baggage, you can check it through from your initial departure point to your international destination. Once you land at JNB walk out to exit (ignore signs to go downstairs to baggage reclaim), keep walking through the shops/past the food court, around the atrium and there is a security/emigration point on your front right.

Please see post #106 for an illustrated guide.
[although there is no need to go up the moving walkway and then back down again - just come out of the domestic exit and keep walking straight on that level, which will bring you to the security/emigration point]

International-International Connection

Minimum connection time: 60 minutes

This is where things become a little more tricky.

If you arrive at a jetway, you will see a corridor heading towards International Transfers on the left just before the escalators down to passport control.
If you arrive at a remote stand and are bussed to the terminal, you will see the escalators on the left heading up to International Transfers as you enter the building.
Both these paths are well signposted and there is usually a staff member shouting out "International transit" and waving a sign to direct passengers.
When you go down the corridor, there is a transit immigration point before the transfer desks. Typically the wait here is 1-3 minutes, very much quicker than 'normal' immigration.
Your passport will be stamped with a "TRANSIT" stamp here even though you do not enter the country, and you must ensure that you have the required blank pages otherwise you may not be permitted to continue your transit and instead sent back to your originating point.

A few meters beyond the immigration checkpoint is the main transit information area which have desks for all the international airlines and handling agents.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your final destination, ensure that you give your connecting airline the tag numbers at this time so that they can verify them in their system.
If the tag numbers are not re-verified, they will not be loaded without manual intervention. This is not required if connecting from SAA to SAA flights however.

If your bags have not been tagged through, you will need to find a member of staff in International Transfers from your arriving airline.
Ask them to get one of their baggage services staff to pull your bags off the belt manually and coordinate with staff from your onward airline to retag them to your final destination.

This is a rather convoluted process and can take a long time.

Therefore, if your bags cannot be tagged all the way through, it is advisable to pass through immigration, collect your bags at baggage reclaim and clear customs.
After you clear customs but before you exit to the public area (the exit is a set of sliding doors on your right), you will see a series of baggage re-check desks on your left.
Proceed to these desks since they often have smaller queues and have your bags re-tagged.
Then head up the escalators to your left (do not exit the main doors into the public area) which emerge on the departures level.
Turn right when facing the Vodacom store and the departures security checkpoint is right in front of you.

You can do the entire transit and enter/exit South Africa in less than 5 minutes if your bags come out quickly.

If time permits, the safest option is to clear customs and re-check your bags as described above rather than rely on the interlining system at JNB.

Have a look at post #9 of this thread for pictures.

Originally posted by Ambassador BA304.

Luggage storage

This is taken from the whyjoburg.com web site (April 2016):

BagPort South Africa, the original company that provided a luggage storage service at OR Tambo International Airport, has changed its name.

It now operates as Ateck - from the same premises down the escalators at the main exit of Terminal A arrivals, on Basement Level 1, going towards the Parkade 2 (South).

Costs are : (NB : CASH ONLY! No Cards Accepted.)
0-5 hours: R70.00
6-12 hours: R80.00
12-24 hours: R90.00
24 hours or more: R90.00 per day.

Open 24 hours, every day of the year.

Contact details :
Tel : +27 (11) 390 2689
http://www.a-teck.co.za/or-tambo-airport-store-teck/
Print Wikipost

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2016, 9:16 am

CPT-JNB-VFA - time for baggage storage between connection?

Thank you everyone for contributing to this very helpful thread! Hoping someone may be able to provide their thoughts on my situation:

I will be flying with SAA from Cape Town to Victoria Falls, with a stopover in Johannesburg. I would like to store some bags at JNB during my layover, since I will be flying home from JNB after my safari.

Arrival time at JNB is scheduled for 0815, TERMINAL:B (SA 308).
Departure from JNB to VFA is scheduled for 1050, TERMINAL:B (SA 40)

So about 2.5 hours layover at JNB. Fingers crossed that the arriving flight isn't delayed, do you think I will have enough time to get to the luggage storage at Terminal A arrivals, then back to Terminal B for my flight to VFA? Since the whole ticket is booked through SAA, I'm hoping my checked baggage will be transferred from CPT to VFA without me having to worry about it at JNB. Then I'm hoping to just bring the luggage I hope to store at JNB as carry-on from CPT>JNB.

Some questions I have are...
- Does this sound reasonable?
- How long is the walk between terminals?
- Will I have to wait in any line-ups just to exit Terminal B to get to the baggage storage in Terminal A?
- How long do you think it will take me to go through security again when returning to Terminal B?
- Does the CPT-JNB flight tend to run on schedule, or is this too risky? Will I have to wait for a bus to bring me from the plane into the terminal?

Also, in the pinned Wiki description under "Domestic-International connections", it says: "Please see post #36 for an illustrated guide." I can't seem to find this illustrated guide in post #36... anyone able to help?

Thanks so much...
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:45 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
I am transiting JNB, domestic to international (South African to Lufthansa). South African could not give me the Lufthansa boarding passes. I know my bag is interlined, but where do I get Luftansa boarding passes during transit JNB?
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:22 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by brngckn
I am transiting JNB, domestic to international (South African to Lufthansa). South African could not give me the Lufthansa boarding passes. I know my bag is interlined, but where do I get Luftansa boarding passes during transit JNB?
There is no 'transit' for dom-int'l connections at JNB - you will come out of domestic arrivals and have to walk landside to international departures, so you can easily go to the LH checkin area [if you already had your boarding pass, you could save a few hundred metres by going to a slightly nearer security/immigration area, but really there's not much in it].

Basically as you come into the arrivals area, baggage claim is signed downstairs, you can head upstairs (it will make sense when you get there), and then just keep walking through a shopping area, keep walking straight, you come to the central atrium which you walk around (you're above ground floor) and then head left towards international checkin.

It's very straightforward and you do *not* need a porter to help you!
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:34 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by eeners
Thank you everyone for contributing to this very helpful thread! Hoping someone may be able to provide their thoughts on my situation:

I will be flying with SAA from Cape Town to Victoria Falls, with a stopover in Johannesburg. I would like to store some bags at JNB during my layover, since I will be flying home from JNB after my safari.

So about 2.5 hours layover at JNB. Fingers crossed that the arriving flight isn't delayed, do you think I will have enough time to get to the luggage storage at Terminal A arrivals, then back to Terminal B for my flight to VFA? Since the whole ticket is booked through SAA, I'm hoping my checked baggage will be transferred from CPT to VFA without me having to worry about it at JNB. Then I'm hoping to just bring the luggage I hope to store at JNB as carry-on from CPT>JNB.

- Will I have to wait in any line-ups just to exit Terminal B to get to the baggage storage in Terminal A?
- How long do you think it will take me to go through security again when returning to Terminal B?
- Does the CPT-JNB flight tend to run on schedule, or is this too risky? Will I have to wait for a bus to bring me from the plane into the terminal?

Also, in the pinned Wiki description under "Domestic-International connections", it says: "Please see post #36 for an illustrated guide." I can't seem to find this illustrated guide in post #36... anyone able to help?

Thanks so much...
In principle, 2.5 hours for a dom to int connection is ample.
The CPT to JNB flights tend to run on time, but as always no guarantees can be given.
You may end up at an airbridge or a bus stand, no way to predict this. My experience is about 70% airbridge. A bus stand obviously takes a bit longer, but not really materially so.
Once inside the terminal and with no luggage to collect, you just walk out. No holdup there.
I have no experience with leaving luggage, so can't comment on the time this might take.
The A and B terminals are actually one building. Takes maybe 10 or 15 minutes to move from the B to the A side.
Going through immigration and security at that time of the morning should not take long. But hey, this is Africa and many things are unpredictable! If they decide to experiment with the biometric system again (see upthread), all bets are off.

I am always OK with a 2 hour transfer without the 'left luggage' component so you should be OK.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by eeners

Thanks so much...
This is a dom-int'l connection, so the same as my reply above. The key is to understand that it's not a 'transit' in the usual sense, ie you don't stay airside but exit domestic arrivals back into the main terminal, and then do through the usual int'l departure procedure (security and immigration).

Therefore, to answer your points in turn:
- yes, very reasonable, you should have plenty of time.
- the 'terminals' aren't physically separate, they are just two ends of the same building, B is nominally domestic and A is international, but there is no real indicators of A or B in the terminal, and in fact your VFA flights, being international, actually departs from terminal A.
- from domestic arrivals to int'l departures is about 5-600m
- as noted, there is no separation between terminals so no wait
- iirc, luggage storage is one level down, underneath international departures. From dom arrivals, walk straight ahead through a hallway of shops and a food court. At the end, you come to the main atrium, walk around that and you'll be at int'l departures. Bear left (there's a security point straight ahead) towards int'l checkin, and after you've gone past KFC on the right there will be an escalator down to parking and left luggage.
- from left luggage, it's back up the escalator and through security and immigration. At that time, I would think anywhere between 2 and 15 minutes.
- flights do sometimes run late, but I would personally be very relaxed about that connection. If you do arrive to a bus gate (not uncommon on SAA) then you gain much of your 'lost' time back by being dropped right in the baggage reclaim area, saving quite a lot of walking.

Relax - this is an easy connection. Just make sure that your bag is well secured (probably worth investing the R20 in getting it polywrapped, facilities available throughout the airport) before leaving it.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:41 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
There is no 'transit' for dom-int'l connections at JNB - you will come out of domestic arrivals and have to walk landside to international departures, so you can easily go to the LH checkin area [if you already had your boarding pass, you could save a few hundred metres by going to a slightly nearer security/immigration area, but really there's not much in it].

Basically as you come into the arrivals area, baggage claim is signed downstairs, you can head upstairs (it will make sense when you get there), and then just keep walking through a shopping area, keep walking straight, you come to the central atrium which you walk around (you're above ground floor) and then head left towards international checkin.

It's very straightforward and you do *not* need a porter to help you!
Many thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2016, 6:53 am

I'll transit twice through JNB in the next few weeks and I wanted to check that the information in the wiki is still up-to-date.

On my inbound I will arrive on LX288 from ZRH and I will then take SA1227 to HDS with a 3h gap on separate tickets. Given the reports on immigration I have decided to book the BidAir services, so I'm not particularly worried about making it.

On my outbound I am on one ticket MRU-JNB-FRA with 90 minutes at JNB. Can anyone confirm that I have to make sure my luggage is "in the system" at JNB?

Thank you all!
Old Jul 11, 2016, 7:10 am

Red face

This is a dom-int'l connection, so the same as my reply above. The key is to understand that it's not a 'transit' in the usual sense, ie you don't stay airside but exit domestic arrivals back into the main terminal, and then do through the usual int'l departure procedure (security and immigration).

Therefore, to answer your points in turn:
- yes, very reasonable, you should have plenty of time.
- the 'terminals' aren't physically separate, they are just two ends of the same building, B is nominally domestic and A is international, but there is no real indicators of A or B in the terminal, and in fact your VFA flights, being international, actually departs from terminal A.
- from domestic arrivals to int'l departures is about 5-600m
- as noted, there is no separation between terminals so no wait
- iirc, luggage storage is one level down, underneath international departures. From dom arrivals, walk straight ahead through a hallway of shops and a food court. At the end, you come to the main atrium, walk around that and you'll be at int'l departures. Bear left (there's a security point straight ahead) towards int'l checkin, and after you've gone past KFC on the right there will be an escalator down to parking and left luggage.
- from left luggage, it's back up the escalator and through security and immigration. At that time, I would think anywhere between 2 and 15 minutes.
- flights do sometimes run late, but I would personally be very relaxed about that connection. If you do arrive to a bus gate (not uncommon on SAA) then you gain much of your 'lost' time back by being dropped right in the baggage reclaim area, saving quite a lot of walking.

Relax - this is an easy connection. Just make sure that your bag is well secured (probably worth investing the R20 in getting it polywrapped, facilities available throughout the airport) before leaving it.
Thank you and @thijsseh so much!!!! I feel much better now. This forum is so helpful - glad I found it
Old Jul 11, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: British Airways Silver
On the topic of Biometric testing:

Went through JNB customs on the way to GBE this morning, no testing. All the counters had the little machines, but no one seemed to interested in using them.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Well this certainly is puzzling - were the operators of the machines sitting there idly twiddling their thumbs or no one was around?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Maraluvr
Well this certainly is puzzling - were the operators of the machines sitting there idly twiddling their thumbs or no one was around?
The machines (fingerprinting and cameras) are on the desks, but the immigration officers aren't using them (at this time) - they are just checking passports as usual.

I asked about them when I was through a fortnight ago, and was told that they are going to be implemented 'soon'... but that has been the plan since January, I think!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I asked about them when I was through a fortnight ago, and was told that they are going to be implemented 'soon'... but that has been the plan since January, I think!
It was implemented the other week, which led to a disaster. Pax were stuck up to four hours in immigrations queues.

Apart from blaming the passengers, the solution was to "decommissioned biometric capability on some systems", which turned out to be all systems except for the transit desks.

See earlier posts for details and links.

Johan
Old Jul 12, 2016, 1:14 pm

Johan,

They have been 'implementing' it piecemeal for months - I had my biometrics taken about three months ago, iirc departing CT, and a colleague was done arriving into JNB a fortnight ago. Seems like they went for a short sharp shock move to 100%, which went (unsurprisingly, for everyone except the SA gov't) wrong...
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Johan,

They have been 'implementing' it piecemeal for months - I had my biometrics taken about three months ago, iirc departing CT, and a colleague was done arriving into JNB a fortnight ago. Seems like they went for a short sharp shock move to 100%, which went (unsurprisingly, for everyone except the SA gov't) wrong...
Exactly.

They went from transit pax only to 100% at JNB a fortnight ago, with predictable results. The decommissioning on "some systems" actually means that they went back to square one, i.e. transit pax only.

Johan
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:56 am

I'm writing from gate E4 at JNB. Lines at immigration were reasonable (I'd say about one hour wait) but I was happy I booked the BidAir service. It took me 45 minutes to walk off the plane, clear immigration and customs, walk to the Intercontinental to store some luggage, and check my bags for the next flight.

All in all a smooth experience, despite the slow biometric process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.