Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
Guide to JNB (Oliver R. Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg, Republic of South Africa)

Welcome to the guide to JNB.

If your have any further questions that have not been answered after reading through, please do not hesitate to ask.

Bear in mind that the minimum connection times given below are the shortest connections allowed for tickets on a single PNR. It would be advisable to leave more time than this, particularly if you are arriving during the busy morning period. If you are travelling on two separate PNRs, add on at least an extra hour to the MCTs to allow for whatever delays the Travel Gods may throw at you.

Do note that procedures can change so this guide may not be accurate. If you notice anything has changed or there are any errors, just let me know.

International-Domestic Connection

Minimum connection time: 90 minutes

Once you have deplaned, simply follow the crowd to the immigration hall.
After going through passport control, you will need to collect your luggage and pass through customs irrespective of whether your bags have been tagged through to your final destination.
Exit into the public area and proceed up to departures level by way of the escalators which are opposite and to the left. The escalator can take trolleys.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your destination and you have your boarding passes for the onward domestic flight, you can use fast bag drop.
Otherwise you will need to check-in as normal.
Alternatively, you can use the baggage re-check desks on the left before exiting to the public area (NOTE : These are permanently closed now - Oct 2022).
If you would prefer to avoid the porters and taxi touts in the arrivals halls, there are escalators to the left of these desks which will take you to level 1. From there you will need to go up one more level to reach domestic departures. (NOTE : These escalators are out of service now - Oct 2022).

The domestic terminal is designated as a separate terminal (Terminal B) but do not be confused by this. All the terminals at JNB are under one roof so you barely notice that you are transferring between them.

Domestic-International Connection

If you can interline baggage, you can check it through from your initial departure point to your international destination. Once you land at JNB walk out to exit (ignore signs to go downstairs to baggage reclaim), keep walking through the shops/past the food court, around the atrium and there is a security/emigration point on your front right.

Please see post #106 for an illustrated guide.
[although there is no need to go up the moving walkway and then back down again - just come out of the domestic exit and keep walking straight on that level, which will bring you to the security/emigration point]

International-International Connection

Minimum connection time: 60 minutes

This is where things become a little more tricky.

If you arrive at a jetway, you will see a corridor heading towards International Transfers on the left just before the escalators down to passport control.
If you arrive at a remote stand and are bussed to the terminal, you will see the escalators on the left heading up to International Transfers as you enter the building.
Both these paths are well signposted and there is usually a staff member shouting out "International transit" and waving a sign to direct passengers.
When you go down the corridor, there is a transit immigration point before the transfer desks. Typically the wait here is 1-3 minutes, very much quicker than 'normal' immigration.
Your passport will be stamped with a "TRANSIT" stamp here even though you do not enter the country, and you must ensure that you have the required blank pages otherwise you may not be permitted to continue your transit and instead sent back to your originating point.

A few meters beyond the immigration checkpoint is the main transit information area which have desks for all the international airlines and handling agents.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your final destination, ensure that you give your connecting airline the tag numbers at this time so that they can verify them in their system.
If the tag numbers are not re-verified, they will not be loaded without manual intervention. This is not required if connecting from SAA to SAA flights however.

If your bags have not been tagged through, you will need to find a member of staff in International Transfers from your arriving airline.
Ask them to get one of their baggage services staff to pull your bags off the belt manually and coordinate with staff from your onward airline to retag them to your final destination.

This is a rather convoluted process and can take a long time.

Therefore, if your bags cannot be tagged all the way through, it is advisable to pass through immigration, collect your bags at baggage reclaim and clear customs.
After you clear customs but before you exit to the public area (the exit is a set of sliding doors on your right), you will see a series of baggage re-check desks on your left.
Proceed to these desks since they often have smaller queues and have your bags re-tagged.
Then head up the escalators to your left (do not exit the main doors into the public area) which emerge on the departures level.
Turn right when facing the Vodacom store and the departures security checkpoint is right in front of you.

You can do the entire transit and enter/exit South Africa in less than 5 minutes if your bags come out quickly.

If time permits, the safest option is to clear customs and re-check your bags as described above rather than rely on the interlining system at JNB.

Have a look at post #9 of this thread for pictures.

Originally posted by Ambassador BA304.

Luggage storage

This is taken from the whyjoburg.com web site (April 2016):

BagPort South Africa, the original company that provided a luggage storage service at OR Tambo International Airport, has changed its name.

It now operates as Ateck - from the same premises down the escalators at the main exit of Terminal A arrivals, on Basement Level 1, going towards the Parkade 2 (South).

Costs are : (NB : CASH ONLY! No Cards Accepted.)
0-5 hours: R70.00
6-12 hours: R80.00
12-24 hours: R90.00
24 hours or more: R90.00 per day.

Open 24 hours, every day of the year.

Contact details :
Tel : +27 (11) 390 2689
http://www.a-teck.co.za/or-tambo-airport-store-teck/
Print Wikipost

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AA, AS, DL, NH, QF, QR, UA, USAF
Wheelchair access for transit in JNB

My wife and I usually request wheelchairs at airports due to our limited mobility Wife due to a stroke and cardiac by-pass surgery, me due to tow knee replacements). We will be transiting JNB both Int.>Dom. and Dom.> Int. in May.

We are on one PNR inbound Qatar/QR 1367 DOH-JNB arriving at 1440 and transferring to BA/Comair 6429 JNB-CPT departing at 1700 (all business). The 140 minute transfer ought to be enough to get through immigration and a short stop at the SLOW Lounge. Do we have to pick up our bags (I assume so from reading the thread) at JNB and recheck?

On the return, we have 2 PNRs SAA 8866 Skukuza (SZK)-JNB in coach arriving 1550 then transferring to QR 1360 JNB-DOH in business. I doubt that SAA will interline with 2 PNRs, so again we pick up bags and check in with QR. Correct?

Qatar is using Bidwest Lounge, while we could use British Airways Galleries Club Lounge since we are Oneworld Business. Which lounge is preferred?

Thanks in Advance.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by AZ Boomer
We are on one PNR inbound Qatar/QR 1367 DOH-JNB arriving at 1440 and transferring to BA/Comair 6429 JNB-CPT departing at 1700 (all business). The 140 minute transfer ought to be enough to get through immigration and a short stop at the SLOW Lounge. Do we have to pick up our bags (I assume so from reading the thread) at JNB and recheck?
Yes, if you are assisted then you will use a separate queue at immigration which bypasses the main bottleneck at JNB. Assuming your inbound is on time you should make it without any rushing around. You will need to collect and drop your bags again in a similar way to arriving in the USA internationally - the folk assisting you will know what to do.

On the return, we have 2 PNRs SAA 8866 Skukuza (SZK)-JNB in coach arriving 1550 then transferring to QR 1360 JNB-DOH in business. I doubt that SAA will interline with 2 PNRs, so again we pick up bags and check in with QR. Correct?
Most likely but you could still ask the agent at SZK.

Qatar is using Bidwest Lounge, while we could use British Airways Galleries Club Lounge since we are Oneworld Business. Which lounge is preferred?
The BA lounge is better but it does get really busy as you have 2 BA flights which depart either side of QR1360 and people tend to arrive early at JNB due to the exit immigration queues. Unfortunately the lounges are a fair distance apart so it isn't easy to take a look at one and then move to the other.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
I would also opt for the BA lounge, since the reports about the Bidvest lounge of late are not that great.

Last edited by roadwarrier; Feb 7, 2017 at 9:28 am Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AA, AS, DL, NH, QF, QR, UA, USAF
Thumbs up Thanks

Thank you roadwarrier & Steve_ZA ^

AZ Boomer
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:06 am
YBC

Question about flight to and from YYZ - GBE

Hi,

It's little confusing but this is the situation.

My brother is coming from GBE - JNB - DXB - YYZ

and then returning with me from YYZ - DXB - JNB - GBE

however because expedia didnt show me flights to gaborone, i only purchased from and to Johannesburg.

I have three questions.

1. i read your initial posting, but is there a chance that YYZ will send my baggages to GBE? my brother won't bring much from GBE-YYZ so it wont matter in the frist round of the trip.

2. Boarding passes, once my brother leaves GBE to JNB, does he need to exit and get new boarding passes from JNB-DXB-YYZ?

3. Again, once we leave from YYZ - GBE, we will have boarding passes for first two stops, but where can we got JNB-GBE boarding passes?

please let me know

thank you in advance!!
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by YBC
Hi,

It's little confusing but this is the situation.

My brother is coming from GBE - JNB - DXB - YYZ

and then returning with me from YYZ - DXB - JNB - GBE

however because expedia didnt show me flights to gaborone, i only purchased from and to Johannesburg.

I have three questions.

1. i read your initial posting, but is there a chance that YYZ will send my baggages to GBE? my brother won't bring much from GBE-YYZ so it wont matter in the frist round of the trip.

2. Boarding passes, once my brother leaves GBE to JNB, does he need to exit and get new boarding passes from JNB-DXB-YYZ?

3. Again, once we leave from YYZ - GBE, we will have boarding passes for first two stops, but where can we got JNB-GBE boarding passes?

please let me know

thank you in advance!!
Hope for the best, expect for the worst
The worst case scenario is that on both ways you will have to clear immigration in JNB, pick up your luggage, present yourself at the checkin counter for the next flight, get your boarding passes and checkin your luggage and proceed to pass security/immigration again.

Hope for the best - you didn't specify which airlines you will be flying, I'm assuming it is EK for the YYZ-DXB-JNB segments, and either SA or BP for the JNB-GBE segment, so interlining agreements between them exists and they can, in theory check your bag all the way through and maybe also issue you with boarding passes.

If possible, check in on-line and print the boarding pass in advance this can save you some hassle, especially if you can travel with only hand luggage.

Do make sure you also have a visa to enter SA (if required for your nationality/passport).
Old Mar 15, 2017, 1:52 am

Programs: Virgin, Qatar, Emirates, British Airways, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by Ditto
Hope for the best, expect for the worst
The worst case scenario is that on both ways you will have to clear immigration in JNB, pick up your luggage, present yourself at the checkin counter for the next flight, get your boarding passes and checkin your luggage and proceed to pass security/immigration again.

Hope for the best - you didn't specify which airlines you will be flying, I'm assuming it is EK for the YYZ-DXB-JNB segments, and either SA or BP for the JNB-GBE segment, so interlining agreements between them exists and they can, in theory check your bag all the way through and maybe also issue you with boarding passes.

If possible, check in on-line and print the boarding pass in advance this can save you some hassle, especially if you can travel with only hand luggage.

Do make sure you also have a visa to enter SA (if required for your nationality/passport).
Sorry to present the worst case but...I would guess you will need to clear immigration and re-check your bags. If you are flying EK then then they are out of alliance with either of the companies that fly to GBE (SA express (SAA) and Air Botswana). SA Immigration have recently introduced biometric capture and queues are averaging 1hr at present for non SADC passport holders.

You should also be aware that the JNB-GBE route is subject to routine delays and cancellations. Most people will drive this route as it's a straight-forward 4hr motorway drive with an efficient border crossing. If you can factor this in instead of flying, I would recommend it.

Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andypp
SA Immigration have recently introduced biometric capture and queues are averaging 1hr at present for non SADC passport holders.
That varies a lot.

The other week I set a new personal record: aircraft door to baggage hall in under 4 minutes. Arrived mid-morning on LX; got a good gate; short walk to immigrations; and the one person ahead of me made the mistake of presenting his passport to the swine flu scan guy.

Flying out a few days ago I went through security and immigrations on the Terminal B side. Late afternoon, peak rush hour, yet there were way more agents on duty than there were departing pax. The agent who processed me said they were getting bored.

On the way to the lounge I then walked past Terminal A immigrations, which was a zoo. Worse than Penn Station on a very bad day.

I've yet to have my biometric data captured, by the way, despite arriving and departing JNB numerous times since the scheme was introduced.

Johan
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:33 pm

Risky Domestic-International Connection at JNB?

Hi, I have a ticket in September from Capetown to Toronto via Johannesburg and Sao Paulo. i.e. CPT-JNB, JNB-GRU and GRU-YYZ. The time between flights at Johannesburg is 1 hour 35 min, is this sufficient for the connection?

Some more details:
- Both flights in and out of JNB are operated by SAA. Luggage will be checked through I believe.
- CPT-JNB flight arrives at JNB at 9:25am in Terminal B
- JNB-GRU flight departs from JNB at 11:00am in Terminal B
- My seat is in business class (hopefully quicker plane exit)

How long does it usually take to go through exit passport control and security check at Terminal B on Sunday morning? How much time should I allow if 1h 35min is not enough?

Thank you very much in advance for your help,
Keith.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by keithr88
Hi, I have a ticket in September from Capetown to Toronto via Johannesburg and Sao Paulo. i.e. CPT-JNB, JNB-GRU and GRU-YYZ. The time between flights at Johannesburg is 1 hour 35 min, is this sufficient for the connection?

Some more details:
- Both flights in and out of JNB are operated by SAA. Luggage will be checked through I believe.
- CPT-JNB flight arrives at JNB at 9:25am in Terminal B
- JNB-GRU flight departs from JNB at 11:00am in Terminal B
- My seat is in business class (hopefully quicker plane exit)

How long does it usually take to go through exit passport control and security check at Terminal B on Sunday morning? How much time should I allow if 1h 35min is not enough?

Thank you very much in advance for your help,
Keith.
Is that on a single ticket or separate tickets? The MCT in JNB is 1h30, but that is of course irrelevant on separate tickets.
Your CPT-JNB flight arrives at terminal B, but your JNB-GRU departs from terminal A, so there is about 10-15 minute walking involved between the terminals.

If on a single ticket, then your luggage is checked through and you will probably be fine (use the first immigration/security entrance you see when walking from terminal B, not the one after the checkin counters), 1h35 can be tight but should be enough, still if you have the option I would take an earlier CPT-JNB flight.

On separate tickets I wouldn't risk it even without checked baggage, allow at least 3 hours for "connecting" on separate tickets.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:47 pm

Ditto, thank you for your reply.

It is on a single ticket.
I am confused... According to the flight itinerary, the JNB-GRU flight shows departure from Terminal B, not A. Did they make a mistake? Are there no international flights from Terminal B?

Thanks, Keith.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by keithr88
I am confused... According to the flight itinerary, the JNB-GRU flight shows departure from Terminal B, not A. Did they make a mistake? Are there no international flights from Terminal B?.
The SAA check in desks are located in terminal B but all international flights, even to the neighbouring states, depart from terminal A.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:33 pm

Steve, thank you.

To anyone else interested in JNB connections/Terminals, here’s an useful aerial map I just found. (not sure if posted before)
http://www.eyesonafrica.net/south-af...-terminals.htm
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:31 am

Connecting flight at JNB

Hello,
i am travelling from Mumbai to Windhoek via Dubai and JNB. i have purchased Mumbai-DXB-JNB through emirates and jnb-wdh through air namibia. Both have different PNR. DXB-JNB reaches at 0530 and Air Namibia at 1300 hrs. i am having a few doubts
1. Any experience if my luggage will be checked all through from mumbai-Edited; talked to emirates, they would not through check in my luggage.
2. if i have to re-collect my baggage, it will require passing through immigration and customs and again re-checking bags at checkin. Now do i require tourist visa for South Africa to pass through immigration and customs.(am i not technically into SA after immigration)
3. since there is considerable time between two flight at JNB should i ask for through check in of baggage considering baggage security issues at JNB.

thanks & regards
Dave

Last edited by amitdave7377; Apr 6, 2017 at 7:14 am
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:21 pm

Essentially you are not in transit as you will have to pass immigration to collect your luggage and then check it again for your Air Namibia flight. Emirates will most likely want to make sure that you meet the entry requirements for SA before they let you board.

According to TIMATIC Indian passport holders ae allowed to transit without a visa in SA but I don't know what the rules are for this (suspect that it doesn't include going landside to sort out luggage) - I would recommend that you contact your closest SA High Commission or Consulate to get a clear answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.