Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
Guide to JNB (Oliver R. Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg, Republic of South Africa)

Welcome to the guide to JNB.

If your have any further questions that have not been answered after reading through, please do not hesitate to ask.

Bear in mind that the minimum connection times given below are the shortest connections allowed for tickets on a single PNR. It would be advisable to leave more time than this, particularly if you are arriving during the busy morning period. If you are travelling on two separate PNRs, add on at least an extra hour to the MCTs to allow for whatever delays the Travel Gods may throw at you.

Do note that procedures can change so this guide may not be accurate. If you notice anything has changed or there are any errors, just let me know.

International-Domestic Connection

Minimum connection time: 90 minutes

Once you have deplaned, simply follow the crowd to the immigration hall.
After going through passport control, you will need to collect your luggage and pass through customs irrespective of whether your bags have been tagged through to your final destination.
Exit into the public area and proceed up to departures level by way of the escalators which are opposite and to the left. The escalator can take trolleys.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your destination and you have your boarding passes for the onward domestic flight, you can use fast bag drop.
Otherwise you will need to check-in as normal.
Alternatively, you can use the baggage re-check desks on the left before exiting to the public area (NOTE : These are permanently closed now - Oct 2022).
If you would prefer to avoid the porters and taxi touts in the arrivals halls, there are escalators to the left of these desks which will take you to level 1. From there you will need to go up one more level to reach domestic departures. (NOTE : These escalators are out of service now - Oct 2022).

The domestic terminal is designated as a separate terminal (Terminal B) but do not be confused by this. All the terminals at JNB are under one roof so you barely notice that you are transferring between them.

Domestic-International Connection

If you can interline baggage, you can check it through from your initial departure point to your international destination. Once you land at JNB walk out to exit (ignore signs to go downstairs to baggage reclaim), keep walking through the shops/past the food court, around the atrium and there is a security/emigration point on your front right.

Please see post #106 for an illustrated guide.
[although there is no need to go up the moving walkway and then back down again - just come out of the domestic exit and keep walking straight on that level, which will bring you to the security/emigration point]

International-International Connection

Minimum connection time: 60 minutes

This is where things become a little more tricky.

If you arrive at a jetway, you will see a corridor heading towards International Transfers on the left just before the escalators down to passport control.
If you arrive at a remote stand and are bussed to the terminal, you will see the escalators on the left heading up to International Transfers as you enter the building.
Both these paths are well signposted and there is usually a staff member shouting out "International transit" and waving a sign to direct passengers.
When you go down the corridor, there is a transit immigration point before the transfer desks. Typically the wait here is 1-3 minutes, very much quicker than 'normal' immigration.
Your passport will be stamped with a "TRANSIT" stamp here even though you do not enter the country, and you must ensure that you have the required blank pages otherwise you may not be permitted to continue your transit and instead sent back to your originating point.

A few meters beyond the immigration checkpoint is the main transit information area which have desks for all the international airlines and handling agents.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your final destination, ensure that you give your connecting airline the tag numbers at this time so that they can verify them in their system.
If the tag numbers are not re-verified, they will not be loaded without manual intervention. This is not required if connecting from SAA to SAA flights however.

If your bags have not been tagged through, you will need to find a member of staff in International Transfers from your arriving airline.
Ask them to get one of their baggage services staff to pull your bags off the belt manually and coordinate with staff from your onward airline to retag them to your final destination.

This is a rather convoluted process and can take a long time.

Therefore, if your bags cannot be tagged all the way through, it is advisable to pass through immigration, collect your bags at baggage reclaim and clear customs.
After you clear customs but before you exit to the public area (the exit is a set of sliding doors on your right), you will see a series of baggage re-check desks on your left.
Proceed to these desks since they often have smaller queues and have your bags re-tagged.
Then head up the escalators to your left (do not exit the main doors into the public area) which emerge on the departures level.
Turn right when facing the Vodacom store and the departures security checkpoint is right in front of you.

You can do the entire transit and enter/exit South Africa in less than 5 minutes if your bags come out quickly.

If time permits, the safest option is to clear customs and re-check your bags as described above rather than rely on the interlining system at JNB.

Have a look at post #9 of this thread for pictures.

Originally posted by Ambassador BA304.

Luggage storage

This is taken from the whyjoburg.com web site (April 2016):

BagPort South Africa, the original company that provided a luggage storage service at OR Tambo International Airport, has changed its name.

It now operates as Ateck - from the same premises down the escalators at the main exit of Terminal A arrivals, on Basement Level 1, going towards the Parkade 2 (South).

Costs are : (NB : CASH ONLY! No Cards Accepted.)
0-5 hours: R70.00
6-12 hours: R80.00
12-24 hours: R90.00
24 hours or more: R90.00 per day.

Open 24 hours, every day of the year.

Contact details :
Tel : +27 (11) 390 2689
http://www.a-teck.co.za/or-tambo-airport-store-teck/
Print Wikipost

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2024, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Looking to fly SZK to GRJ or PLZ. We will be staying in Plettenberg. The cheapest option on one ticket is SZK-JNB-PLZ that lands at 7pm and I am hesitant to drive at night due to safety concerns. The only other single ticket is option is PLZ-CPT-GRJ that is $600 a person one way and lands at 4pm

There is an option via JNB with the first leg on Airlink and the second leg on Safair on separate tickets that lands in GRJ around 530 for less than half the price of the option via CPT. We would have 90 minutes between flights and likely will have checked bags. If we miss the Safair flight it is not a huge deal unless everything is full the next day. Is sounds like the domestic operation is pretty efficient but if there is no chance of making such a connection I won't bother.

Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2024, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Looking to fly SZK to GRJ or PLZ. We will be staying in Plettenberg. The cheapest option on one ticket is SZK-JNB-PLZ that lands at 7pm and I am hesitant to drive at night due to safety concerns. The only other single ticket is option is PLZ-CPT-GRJ that is $600 a person one way and lands at 4pm

There is an option via JNB with the first leg on Airlink and the second leg on Safair on separate tickets that lands in GRJ around 530 for less than half the price of the option via CPT. We would have 90 minutes between flights and likely will have checked bags. If we miss the Safair flight it is not a huge deal unless everything is full the next day. Is sounds like the domestic operation is pretty efficient but if there is no chance of making such a connection I won't bother.

Thanks!
You basically have 50 mins to get to Safair checkin before it closes which is perfectly do-able, despite arriving at a bus gate. However there isn't a great deal of slack if the flight from SZK gets delayed by an afternoon thunderstorm (and it is still that time of year in the Lowveld).

Last edited by Swanhunter; Feb 23, 2024 at 8:42 am
Old Feb 23, 2024, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by konagirl2
As Johannesburg is your first port of entry to South Africa you will have to collect your bags there and then carry them through customs and up the escalators to Cemair to recheck them.

On the return, if there were an interline agreement the bags will be checked in all the way to Prague. And the most significant carrier rule would apply to your luggage and your allowance will be shown on your e-ticket. However the Cemair website does not list British Airways as an interline agreement partner and suggests for domestic connections to non-interline agreement onward flights there is a limit of 21kg.
https://www.flycemair.co.za/general_..._and_info.php#
Cemair confirmed that they will accept the baggage allowance given by British Airways (even there is no interline agreement according to their website). The baggage should be checked through to CPT via JNB from the first city. However I have to collect my bags in JNB, carry them through customs and recheck with Cemair.
Thank you.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 9:39 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
You basically have 50 mins to get to Safair checkin before it closes which is perfectly do-able, despite arriving at a bus gate. However there isn't a great deal of slack if the flight from SZK gets delayed by an afternoon thunderstorm (and it is still that time of year in the Lowveld).
Thanks! Over the last 11 days or so it looks like the flight has arrived late twice - once 9 minutes and once 19 minutes, so probably worth the risk.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 12:47 pm

British Airways Ties Up with CemAir for Better Connectivity

Originally Posted by Dino55
Cemair confirmed that they will accept the baggage allowance given by British Airways (even there is no interline agreement according to their website). The baggage should be checked through to CPT via JNB from the first city. However I have to collect my bags in JNB, carry them through customs and recheck with Cemair.
Thank you.
British Airways has entered into an interline agreement with South African regional carrier Cemair.
https://www.afritraveller.com/post/b...s-connectivity
Old Apr 15, 2024, 10:53 am

Overnight bag recommendations please. I'll be arriving on United at 6pm; staying overnight at a hotel airport; departing the following morning at 11am on Airlink. I know I CAN check my bag all the way through, but should I? If I do, I'll be sure to have it wrapped--although I've never done that before. Thanks!
--Update: Well, never mind, I guess. United said the bag won't be checked through to LVI since the layover is overnight and my last leg is on a different airline...

Last edited by HooHeel; Apr 15, 2024 at 11:20 am
Old Apr 17, 2024, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by HooHeel
Overnight bag recommendations please. I'll be arriving on United at 6pm; staying overnight at a hotel airport; departing the following morning at 11am on Airlink. I know I CAN check my bag all the way through, but should I? If I do, I'll be sure to have it wrapped--although I've never done that before. Thanks!
--Update: Well, never mind, I guess. United said the bag won't be checked through to LVI since the layover is overnight and my last leg is on a different airline...
You have to go through the customs and recheck it with the local airline.
AirLink has check-in counters in the baggage claim international area (before you leave the secured area). All other airlines have their check-in desks in the terminal B (domestic flights), it's the other end of the same building, better to ask for directions.

Last edited by Dino55; Apr 17, 2024 at 7:39 am Reason: spelling
Old Apr 17, 2024, 11:37 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
It looks like I'm going on a business trip to Johannesburg next month (arriving/departing—not transferring). How bad is the risk of hands other than my own getting inside my checked-in bag these days?
Old Apr 18, 2024, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Internaut
It looks like I'm going on a business trip to Johannesburg next month (arriving/departing—not transferring). How bad is the risk of hands other than my own getting inside my checked-in bag these days?
My bags have either a simple padlock or use the built in lock and I've never had an issue. However BA stopped using priority tags a while ago to avoid attracting the attention of the wrong hands so clearly there is still some risk.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 11:17 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
My bags have either a simple padlock or use the built in lock and I've never had an issue. However BA stopped using priority tags a while ago to avoid attracting the attention of the wrong hands so clearly there is still some risk.
Oh... I should warn you I stopped locking my bag after the baggage handlers kindly (badly) broke my new bag to bypass the lock. I thought it would be best to accept the risk of inquisitive fingers while leaving nothing worth taking (which can be challenging—I've lost a pair of rather worn old trainers to them). This was about 12 years ago; I hope things have improved.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Internaut
Oh... I should warn you I stopped locking my bag after the baggage handlers kindly (badly) broke my new bag to bypass the lock. I thought it would be best to accept the risk of inquisitive fingers while leaving nothing worth taking (which can be challenging—I've lost a pair of rather worn old trainers to them). This was about 12 years ago; I hope things have improved.
Funnily enough, the only person I know who has had something lifted at JNB also lost worn trainers.

Between myself, the OH and other family members we probably go through JNB 20 times per year and haven't had an issue at all since the great unlocking. That includes Dom-Int connections where the bags have been in transit for an extended period.
Internaut likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 4:39 pm

What is arrival experience like?

What is the international arrival experience like as of late at JNB? I’ve read previous posts indicating extremely long queues at immigration, especially for morning arrivals.

Is this still the case? I’m landing at 8:35am on EY from AUH this Sunday. My onward flight on different PNR isn’t until 1pm, but I’m considering getting an earlier flight at 11:30.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by nickal320
What is the international arrival experience like as of late at JNB? I’ve read previous posts indicating extremely long queues at immigration, especially for morning arrivals.

Is this still the case? I’m landing at 8:35am on EY from AUH this Sunday. My onward flight on different PNR isn’t until 1pm, but I’m considering getting an earlier flight at 11:30.
My recent experience. arrival on BA A380 at about 7:45 am at JNB: The immigration was painless and swift. Waiting for baggage was longer than expected.
My connection flight on the same PNR was at 10:30 am, enough time to recheck and undergo a security check. Only a lot to go from one end of terminal to another end of the terminal (technically the domestic departures are in terminal B but this is one building).
Swanhunter and nickal320 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3 hours should be fine. The longest it's ever taken us is just under an hour to get through immigration and claim our bags and that was super peak season just before Christmas. My last arrival at a similar time to you was sub 20mins from plane door to walking into Woolies for coffee. The only hesitation would be if flying with a carrier that has a poor on time performance ( waving at BA here) . Someone like EY or QR wouldn't give me concern.
nickal320 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 3:58 am

Thank you both for your replies. I currently have a ticket with LIFT at 1pm. Their earlier flight is at 10am, which I presume is too early even for an on-time arrival. Otherwise there is Safair at 11:30. Would you consider ditching LIFT and go for Safair? I'd lose the money but definitely would prefer to get to the destination more quickly...

It's just a minor irritation because my original waiting time was a good 4 hours, until EY changed the schedule...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.