Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus axes majority of European network for May and June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus axes majority of European network for May and June

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:44 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
It was illegal to leave Ireland until last week without a reasonable excuse. Its going to be another 2-3 weeks until all those in their 30's are fully vaccinated, they are just finishing off the 40's this week. There is an issue with children and Ireland not accepting antigen tests which makes it expensive (i.e. we won't go) for families to get home.

If you book 14 days before departure you can be almost 100% sure you will fly as EI has been very careful to cancel more than 14 days out to avoid EC261
Old Aug 2, 2021, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've BA flights booked back from Ath to Dub via Lhr
I notice direct flights on EI have appeared including avios availability
Obviously I would prefer the direct flight
What's the chances of Athens Dublin being cancelled on a Saturday in September?
Would a strategy be to just book it with avios and keep the BA flights untill the EI flight is inside 2 weeks?
I've started a seperate thread on the mechanics of an avios purchase these days
Thanks
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:08 am
Original Poster

ATH is pretty reliable so should go unless something drastic happens which given Covid is always possible .
Earthman likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Some more EU cancellations are in :

Old Aug 9, 2021, 1:22 pm

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Ridiculous really Simply cannot book with any confidence. As noted above I don't intend to book with them again till December when I need to start getting my points up to keep the card for 2023 But where will I be able to go? LH/KLM and Swiss all fine for me at the moment. EI offering nothing
Old Aug 10, 2021, 8:11 am
Original Poster

And the USA ones coming in

Old Aug 16, 2021, 5:02 pm

Flew LH to FRA. About two thirds full both sectors. Few J and coming back there were quite a few seats taken. Ryanair flying the route too. Find it hard to believe EI just not competing on a route where there's definitely traffic. Seems to be a lot of complaints on social media about cancellations. EI could suffer big time if they don't take some short term losses for long term gain!
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by alserire
EI could suffer big time if they don't take some short term losses for long term gain!
If Aer Lingus hasn't already taken losses (both short term and long term) then they must be unique amongst all carriers globally!

And we're not at a place yet where the old "compete at all costs" makes sense. Lufthansa may be able to half-fill a plane to Frankfurt, but that's because their network offering requires all their passengers to pass through one of their German hubs. That's no basis for imagining there is point-to-point demand for Irish travellers mad to enjoy the delights of Frankfurt and its environs! And Aer Lingus cannot benefit from onward connections at FRA - at least not to the same extent that LH can, and does.
CallBell likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
If Aer Lingus hasn't already taken losses (both short term and long term) then they must be unique amongst all carriers globally!

And we're not at a place yet where the old "compete at all costs" makes sense. Lufthansa may be able to half-fill a plane to Frankfurt, but that's because their network offering requires all their passengers to pass through one of their German hubs. That's no basis for imagining there is point-to-point demand for Irish travellers mad to enjoy the delights of Frankfurt and its environs! And Aer Lingus cannot benefit from onward connections at FRA - at least not to the same extent that LH can, and does.

Ok I'll rephrase.

They need to stop selling seats on flights they fully intend to cancel It seems apparent that other airlines are not doing that to the extent that EI is. And it could well cost them loyalty in the long run
Old Aug 24, 2021, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Just announced !!

tangey likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Just announced !!

Bugger !, I'm on the mia-dub flight 25 Mar, last day of the cancellation range, via a BA avios redemption.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tangey
Bugger !, I'm on the mia-dub flight 25 Mar, last day of the cancellation range, via a BA avios redemption.
You should see BA get notification in their systems from 27/8.
tangey likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
In that chart, DOOP is a reference to the day of the week when the flight was to have operated. DOOP, as in day of operation?
Old Aug 24, 2021, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
In that chart, DOOP is a reference to the day of the week when the flight was to have operated. DOOP, as in day of operation?
That is correct day of operation .
GUWonder and MM00LL2 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 11:10 pm
hmv

Just asking for a buddy of mine who is on the ord-dub flight that will be cancelled (EI124): Most likely his flight will be or already is rescheduled to the earlier flight (16.05/4.05pm) instead of his original flight (20.30/8.30pm). Final destination is AMS.

Could he actually request to be scheduled on the BA flight and travel back to Amsterdam through Heathrow, since its all IAG? Trip is scheduled in November, so not sure how to apply EU261.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.