Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus axes majority of European network for May and June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2021, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Not really a surprise but Aer Lingus has axed the majority of flights until the end of June. All the Summer favourites and European cities have been removed from sale from DUB and ORK.
irishguy28 and MM00LL2 like this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 2:58 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
No surprise as long as the "wall" around Dublin airport exists we are going nowhere.

Interesting no one has taken a legal challenge as to the legality of blocking someone from leaving the country, very East German.

Whats annoying is this Thursday Germany is likely to remove Dublin from the restricted list (South West/East already removed) so we could travel without even a test, ok not much to do in BER/MUC/DUS but still.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:19 am
Original Poster

BHD / BFS is doing a good trade from cross border travel . Not huge amounts but not insignificant either. Anyone wanting to visit GB will go this way. Considering the now low rates of cases and vaccination program the Irish government will likely turn a bit of a blind eye to this cross border travel.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by DELLAS
All the Summer favourites and European cities have been removed from sale from DUB and ORK.
At ORK, AMS was due to come back in late May (when I looked yesterday, I'm 99% certain that 24 May was the restart date) but indeed now it's been pushed back to 21 June. Just as well KL are on the route now!

It looks like LHR doubles from its current 3 weekly to 6 weekly in May.
DELLAS likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 4:20 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
As soon as inter county travel opens up the border restriction is gone. Wouldn't surprise me if EI started to pour flights into Belfast from EU airports. The EU will be our savour here as they will force some logic and consistency they already caught the government out trying to hold out till September

If I was EI I would be looking at Iceland (lowest case count in EEA and open to all vaccinated), Malta and Greece

Could also do round the Island trips on a A321neo with a a touch and go at Kerry, Cork, Shannon, Knock would do wonders for crew currency (bring 2 crews) and there would be a queue down the street with passengers. All legal per government rules as you are not leaving the county. Would cause mayhem with the attempt to stop people using the airport.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Indeed it looks like KL will take the lead out of ORK and KLM are planning to ramp up to daily from sometime in May . Their loads ex DUB have been between 60-65% so its working for them.
Aer Lingus will most likely look at extending some of the Summer sun routes I notice DUB-ADB has been already extended to end of October. Maybe they will try to see if they can get November out of it too. Turkey normally has some great hotel deals around this period and
weather can be very pleasant still. Also while Aer Lingus are suspending many Greek routes Aegean Airlines are planning to ramp up ATH dedicating a new NEO aircraft on the DUB-ATH route with a proper Business Class cabin. So non Irish airlines are more
optimistic but of course everything can change.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Much of this can be logistically hard on EI. An extra frequency here and there will not matter. But, a significant repurposing of aircraft, crew & staff away from DUB is problematic. KL on the other hand, is AMS based. It is a lot easier to repurpose resources to & from out-stations.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 11:16 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
At ORK, AMS was due to come back in late May (when I looked yesterday, I'm 99% certain that 24 May was the restart date) but indeed now it's been pushed back to 21 June.
Looks like June 21st is the “back to normal” date for pretty much all SH routes ex DUB also. Hopefully this is realistic rather than just optimistic.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dambus
Looks like June 21st is the “back to normal” date for pretty much all SH routes ex DUB also. Hopefully this is realistic rather than just optimistic.
Hate to rain on the parade but this is just the pattern we have seen since cancelations began. They are doing them in waves . So unless something majorly changes I expect the next tranche of cancelations to cover 21/6 to around 20/7. Unless they decide that they will be able to run flights with enough demand for the tiny percentage of fully vaccinated Irish with Green Digital Passports. The HSE have now said June is not a realistic date and it will be well on into July for even the majority to get a first dose. This will very much impact Aer Lingus and others operating in Ireland.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 9:51 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
I know, I know.

But...

‘Good news on the horizon’ on travel and summer holidays, says Coveney

Minister says over next ten days a plan about what to expect over the summer will emerge

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...43418?mode=amp

The article basically contradicts the headline, forget the summer holiday... 🙁
Old Apr 21, 2021, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dambus
I know, I know.

But...

‘Good news on the horizon’ on travel and summer holidays, says Coveney

Minister says over next ten days a plan about what to expect over the summer will emerge

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...43418?mode=amp

The article basically contradicts the headline, forget the summer holiday... 🙁
I have nearly stopped paying attention to these articles because as you rightfully say they contradict each other. I think the key word is BHD ! Its our only way out . I know plenty who have set June as the time to break for the border and fly out of NI .
Dambus and modularmayhem like this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 2:49 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Have booked all upcoming travel ex-BHD as the situation regarding DUB is just ridiculous. I have to go to London several times in May and early June, and also going to AGP end of June.
Its a shame what the irish govt are doing to EI and DUB. And as eamon ryan said on radio this morning, he believes they can justify everything they have done so far in the name of public health, ie. their get out of jail free card
DELLAS likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by modularmayhem
Have booked all upcoming travel ex-BHD as the situation regarding DUB is just ridiculous. I have to go to London several times in May and early June, and also going to AGP end of June.
Its a shame what the irish govt are doing to EI and DUB. And as eamon ryan said on radio this morning, he believes they can justify everything they have done so far in the name of public health, ie. their get out of jail free card
I like others have switched off from the majority of what the Irish government says. When Boris Johnson looks half believable in comparison you really are in trouble !

Aer Lingus have said that they hope to get 50% of their schedule back by end of October but I still think that is pretty optimistic but hope they are right.
Still a nice BA CE hop BHD-LHR with the lounges will be a nice treat
Old May 18, 2021, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Bronze! Avis PC
DUB-BCN on 03/07 and on random other days is now showing as sold out! Anyone got any insight? I'm hoping it's cancelled so I can get refund. Fingers crossed

Update: called Aerlingus on 18/05 but agent insisted flight was still operating. On 25/05 received cancellation notification consistent with the 7 days elapse noted by others here. Called Aerlingus and asked for refund. Looking forward to getting my money back they've effectively had interest free loan from me since December 2019!!

Last edited by MM00LL2; May 25, 2021 at 3:59 pm
Old May 19, 2021, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by MM00LL2
DUB-BCN on 03/07 and on random other days is now showing as sold out! Anyone got any insight? I'm hoping it's cancelled so I can get refund. Fingers crossed
Thats might be cancelled, if the pattern is consistent as to days of the week.

Expect a begging email shortly telling you about flexibility and free changes to encourage you to pay the fare difference

Then either cancellation or rebooking onto another flight within 48 hours will happen about 7 days after the first email
MM00LL2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.