Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Onboard WiFi - roll out and experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:19 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Wifi onboard

So I got a message saying one plane has been fitted with wifi (with text&surf package free of charge for Gold members) and this is supposed to be rolled out on entire "Airbus neo fleet".

https://en.aegeanair.com/travel-info.../wifi-onboard/

Is there any way to know which plane has the feature?

Perhaps those flying with a plane that has it installed can report the plane registration?
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:28 am

Programs: A3 Gold, *A Gold
That message says, that it is installed on all of A32x fleet.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:31 am

4 EUR for Text&Surf.

9 EUR for Stream.
asf99 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:35 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yeah, you are absolutely right. I misread the mail as it says "on one of our equipped AIRBUS neo aircraft". Thinking "one" meant "1" and not "any"
We can all forget about my original question!
Old Feb 4, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: A3 Gold
Originally Posted by headingwest
Is it just me who sits and just looks out of the window!?

I am quite happy to live without internet for 2-3 hours of my life.

It's good that Aegean are keeping up with the latest developments...but I don't need this at all.
I feel you. Am a bit torn myself between the wonderful feeling of respite from the super-connected world on the ground, and the flexibility of being connected to work while flying so I don't have to plan my flying to be outside of office hours
Alexandros Bravos likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
Is it just me who sits and just looks out of the window!?

I am quite happy to live without internet for 2-3 hours of my life.

It's good that Aegean are keeping up with the latest developments...but I don't need this at all.
For me the channel I have on is the moving map and looking out the window . It might be nice to send a few pics during the flight of the journey.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by DELLAS
For me the channel I have on is the moving map and looking out the window . It might be nice to send a few pics during the flight of the journey.
The new moving map on the neos (part of Aegean Stream) is really terrible. There are no place names marked and it's quite difficult to see exactly where you are in detail. I think, with onboard (free) wifi I would use something like flightradar24 to track the flight. You know, occasionally when you pass close to another aircraft in flight and wonder where it's going - now you'd be able to see!

I certainly don't want to be in touch with the rest of the world while flying (I'm that person who goes out for a drink with friends and actually leave my smartphone at home), but anything to relieve the boredom is a plus.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 6:24 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
A number of similar threads have been merged and the main thread retitled to reflect the more extensive rollout and member contributions.

/mod
GBobon and giorginho like this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 4:30 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
Do you think you could stream on the Text&Surf plan? I mean, the speed difference seems maybe like you are paying for the speed rather than website restrictions. And 1,5mbps should be sufficient for some phone netflix or something.
It very much depends on the implementation that they have chosen. Theoretically 1.5Mbit is sufficient for video streaming, but only if you have that bandwidth available at all times. These kind of systems most likely throttle connections that are open for a longer amount of time (or when a certain amount of data has been used by a single connection). Which means that perhaps your stream will start fine...but may slow down after the first 10 seconds or so. Another option could be that they simply blacklist certain IP ranges that they know belong to Netflix, Youtube, etc. And possibly protocols too (Like VPN). It fully depends on their choices...from a technical perspective there are some options to limit streaming video if that is supposed to be blocked.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 2:48 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Flew on SX-NEO...no internet. Asked the FA and was told this only applies to the A321 NEO's. That's not how it was presented by Aegean, however, unfortunately the A320's - or at least SX-NEO - does not have the capability.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:47 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Xandrios
... only applies to the A321 NEO's. ...
And there are only 4 A321NEO, right? (SX-NAA, NAB, NAC, NAD)
Makes the "launch" less impressive.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:55 am

Programs: BA, A3, LY; IHG/IC, Accor
I flew on SX-NAB yesterday. I have connected to the Wifi network, but couldn't see any package selection options neither during boarding nor during the flight. I did not look too hard. I did seem to have (a very very very bad) connection though.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 12:59 am
Moderator, Finnair

The 4 A321NX seems to go around quite a bit.
Looking at the last 14 days, they are seen on FRA and CDG every day. But they've also regulrarly been to SKG, TLV, CAI, AMS, BRU, OTP, LHR, ZRH, MAD, GVA, FCO, MXP, MUC and TBS.
They've been seen once in 14 days on CPH, LIS, HAM, LCA, TIA, SOF, SXB and EVN.

Not sure one can draw a valid conclusion but it seems they are favoured on some longer destinations and then they get their day filled with what comes up.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Wi-Fi on my a320neo

So, turns out my A320neo has wifi and this post is being written on board!

Though it says the high speed connection is free for business class, I logged in with my PNR and it only gives me the 1.5 Mbps connection for free. Otherwise I have to pay. I'll try to figure it out...

Speed is not too bad...

Update: truly impossible to get the 15 Mbps for free. It recognizes me as gold, but not business class. I've tried logging in with my pnr, as well as with my M&B credentials. Nada. Another negative point is that there was a 20 min break in the service "due to technical reasons".

On the plus side, I was able to connect to my company VPN, so working like this is feasible.
palesky, asf99, giorginho and 1 others like this.

Last edited by blackball; Feb 17, 2022 at 1:38 pm
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:33 pm

Rout?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.