Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Onboard WiFi - roll out and experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2022, 12:23 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Thanks for reporting back. This is also the first report of the Stream package actually working. Previously in C one would only get the Surf package for free (Stream was still paid)....
Yeah, I gathered as much.

I logged on with PNR and name, because I had a suspicion that using membership-number as log in coul d be the culprit to why one would be identified as Gold first and foremost.
But that is probably not the issue. After logging in, I was identified as "Business - Gold" and with my M&B-number prominently displayed.
Both bundles were present and choosable, and both where free of charge. "Buy" button was now instead a "Go" button.

After logg-in, this was displayed:

It will be interesting to hear if everyone who didn't get stream was in upgraded J. Or if something has been updated to the system.
giorginho likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 1:59 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by intuition
It will be interesting to hear if everyone who didn't get stream was in upgraded J. Or if something has been updated to the system.
No, this wasn't the case - I had a paid business flight where I had the same problem as in my upgraded flights.
Old May 18, 2022, 2:48 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
OK, then it seems they have made changes to the system. SX-NAD aparently did not give stream for free in J on march 31, and now it does. Hopefully that is a change they have rolled out across the installbase. Further reports of J ticket and Stream for free will be interesting, and also if members are denoted "Business - Gold member" after log in or not.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:10 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium
Posting live from SX-DGZ. Not a NEO but still has wifi. Several failed attempts to log in with M&B credentials but PNR worked in the end. Text & Surf free but €9 for Stream as I’m in Y. I’ll see if my SKG-BER aircraft has wifi and if so, whether I get Stream for free in Business.
Xandrios likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:04 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Thats great, so slowly expanding to the older aircraft then!
gpb_croppers63 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Thats great, so slowly expanding to the older aircraft then!
SX-DVJ currently scheduled for SKG-BER so doubt it’ll have wifi
Old Jun 16, 2022, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Is the issue of internet charges for A3*G in business class now gone?
Old Jun 16, 2022, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I wasn’t able to test it the other day, as the aircraft I was on in business class did not feature wifi. It didn’t even have Aegean Stream which suggests it’s not going to be in the fleet much longer.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 2:22 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by GUWonder
After my report in mid may, there seems to not have been any more reports. But very odd if it worked for me but was a fluke.
As seen above, using PNR and Name on paid J resulted in me being able to select between Text&Surf and Stream, both for free.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 9:59 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by intuition
OK, then it seems they have made changes to the system. SX-NAD aparently did not give stream for free in J on march 31, and now it does. Hopefully that is a change they have rolled out across the installbase. Further reports of J ticket and Stream for free will be interesting, and also if members are denoted "Business - Gold member" after log in or not.
Reporting from the ex-Schengen A3 lounge that "J + Gold member" gives access to both paid plans for free on SX-NAA. Didn't get the wifi to work well though, and but it was also interesting I was offered the Biz plan when my Biz coupon upgrade didn't go through.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:56 am

On board one of the WiFi equipped A321 Neo’s currently.

Coupon upgraded flight and I was able to login using the PNR about 20 minutes after departure. It allowed free access to the stream package which has been working very well. Haven’t noticed any interruptions and the connection is fast enough to stream YouTube - and I was even able to listen in on a Teams call.

This exact same aircraft gave me a lot of issues with WiFi previously. It looks like they have ironed out the early problems. Works very well now. At least on this flight it does.

Last edited by Xandrios; Jul 6, 2022 at 4:11 am
Old Jul 15, 2022, 3:38 am

I don't believe this was mentioned before (seems to be new): You can now pre-purchase your Wi-Fi package and even check to see (up to 2 days in advance) if your flight will feature Wi-Fi.
https://en.aegeanair.com/prepaid-connectivity-voucher
What I find very interesting is the fact that they've made changes to how free and paid access was initially rolled out, with Comfort Flex passengers now also getting the text&surf package free of charge and CF and Gold passengers getting the stream package at a discounted (almost halved) price.
This is likely to draw much more internet traffic than previously, but even though I don't really know how the internet has been coping lately on flights featuring it, I am hopeful that if won't be a huge struggle, given that there are flights featuring Wi-Fi access with about 3 times as many passengers on board than on Aegean's A320s.
So hopefully they've installed the appropriate equipment and booked the appropriate contracts.

Wi-Fi pricing (pre-purchase voucher)
Edit: it looks like CF and Golds are basically granted a discount for the stream package, which corresponds to the value of the package they could get for free (4€). Miles redemption stands (as with other added services) at 300miles/€, which is poor value.
I guess the pre-purchase voucher solution they came up with should combat whatever issues were arising when trying to activate the desired Wi-Fi package during the flight, with many business class passengers reporting here they had to purchase stream for 9€ etc. I find the solution convenient in that you can check if your flight will feature Wi-Fi in advance (the 2 days worth of notice coincides with the check-in window so that's not such a big inconvenience) and you can access the service later by entering simply your voucher's code and not need to go through the whole booking class / ticket/tier type verification, which could lead to issues.
PS. I wouldn't purchase such a voucher in advance just yet. I would wait a bit to get some feedback on how reliable the information regarding general Wi-Fi availability on a specific flight is. For example it's showing it as available on the 840 flight tomorrow, but that's just an older A320, which of course could have already had the "Wi-Fi upgrade", but I'd still like that confirmed first (I read you can use the voucher up to 1 year after buying, but still)...
gioannis13 likes this.

Last edited by giorginho; Jul 15, 2022 at 4:06 am
Old Jul 15, 2022, 4:27 am

Interesting details, thanks. One thing to consider is that, if the purchase of a package doesn’t work while in the air, you most likely also won’t be able to activate a pre paid package either.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
So Gold gets a €4 discount on Wi-Fi packages. That or a 1200 mile discount for being Gold.

That values 1200 miles at €4. Unfortunately, A3 doesn’t sell me miles at that cheap of a rate.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 5:00 pm

SX-DNE, one of the older A320’s, has WiFi now. However, no packages other that Text was on offer. It was free for anyone on the flight after filling in a name and email address (ie not connected to the booking). No way to login with M+B or PNR. Very odd. Also, not fast enough for streaming (while flying C)… but plenty fast for web browsing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.