FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus-694/)
-   -   Onboard WiFi - roll out and experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus/2067579-onboard-wifi-roll-out-experiences.html)

GBobon Nov 1, 2021 3:03 pm

Onboard WiFi - roll out and experiences

SX-NEC is the first aircraft from A3 fleet which was equipped with internet antennas (air to ground).

The new IFE portal (UGO Wireless IFE) now includes information about Transfers too but it will only be available on neo aircraft.

prices for internet:
- Free 10mins: 0eur, speed up to 1.5mb/s for everything for 10min;
- Text & Surf: 4eur (free for Gold + business class pax), speed up to 1.5mb/s for everything for entire flight;
- Stream: 9eur (free for business class pax), speed up to 15mb/s for entire flight.

In the screenshot I found there is no info about bandwidth limit, so if the internet is working OK then is a very good offer.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...33ab379867.jpg

sokolov Nov 1, 2021 8:28 pm

4 Euro for 1.5 MByte, 9 Euro for 15 MByte - who might the target market be?

MerNion Nov 1, 2021 11:36 pm

The question is, for 4 euro for the whole flight who wouldn’t be in their target group? When you depart from Athens airport where you buy a coffee and a snack and pay 10 euro, would anyone care for the 4 euro in order to be online for the whole flight? I don’t think so. The only problem with this low price is that the advertised bandwidth of 1.5mbps might not be the actual one if 100+ pax go online at the same time..

GUWonder Nov 2, 2021 2:36 am

Glad to see a new A3*G benefit: free in-flight internet on applicable Aegean flights.

GUWonder Nov 2, 2021 2:42 am

Originally Posted by sokolov (Post 33694164)
4 Euro for 1.5 MByte, 9 Euro for 15 MByte - who might the target market be?

It’s MBps not just MB.

I would guess that the streaming at 15 MBPS is for those wanting to use their own audio-video entertainment online during the flight but haven’t downloaded all that they want, while the 1.5 is for those browsing the web, using emails, texting for the entire flight and wanting to go cheap.

It seems they have segmented well for different in-flight user types/interests.

romans Nov 2, 2021 2:51 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 33694591)
Glad to see a new A3*G benefit: free in-flight internet on applicable Aegean flights.

where can you see this?

GBobon Nov 2, 2021 2:54 am

@GUWonder: indeed, is up to 1.5mb/s, respectively 15mb/s, I updated the initial post.

@romans: see the pic from my post. Text&surf is free for A3 Gold members + Business class pax

romans Nov 2, 2021 2:57 am

Originally Posted by GBobon (Post 33694613)
@GUWonder: indeed, is up to 1.5mb/s, respectively 15mb/s, I updated the initial post.

@romans: see the pic from my post. Text&surf is free for A3 Gold members + Business class pax

ah yes I see!: ) my bad

MerNion Nov 2, 2021 3:32 am

It is MBPS (mega bits per second)!
1.5Mbps = 0.187 MB/s
15Mbps = 1.87 MB/s

Dover2Golf Nov 2, 2021 8:03 am

Good to see a benefit for golds and glad A3 have limited it to their own.

giorginho Nov 2, 2021 8:10 am

Well, it just reads "Gold", not "Miles&Bonus Gold", so how do you know it's only for Aegean's own gold members?
I for once appreciate the fact that business class passengers get the best of the available offers for free :cool:, as well as the fact that there doesn't appear to be any limitation to how much data you can use up (though it will most likely be kind of limited due to the available/attainable speed) ;) .

GBobon Nov 2, 2021 8:12 am

Is clearly stated there that it will be available „upon login”. so I guess they will offer option to login to M+B account and if your status = Gold, then you will have free access.

Xandrios Nov 2, 2021 9:20 am

Great news! That will be a nice benefit for business class as well. Do we have any information regarding expanding to the rest of the fleet? Chances of actually finding SX-NEC on your route are fairly slim :p

For comparison, AF offers Wifi on pretty much their whole A32x fleet - but only the Texting option is free. Business class (or elites) get no discount.

DELLAS Nov 2, 2021 12:18 pm

Another good enhancement especially when you see what some EU carriers offer in J class in terms of packages.

Dover2Golf Nov 3, 2021 6:52 am

Originally Posted by GBobon (Post 33695085)
Is clearly stated there that it will be available „upon login”. so I guess they will offer option to login to M+B account and if your status = Gold, then you will have free access.

SAS who have a free offering require your booking reference and seat number and it's good to go apart from places like over the North Sea where there is no coverage anyway - can be a problem on LHR-OSL but otherwise it's good and the speeds are fine.