Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

12 month status extension for Gold card holders rolling out - Silver awaiting info

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12 month status extension for Gold card holders rolling out - Silver awaiting info

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2020, 6:15 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I am not at all confident that I will be able to make a hassle-free trip to Greece by 23 May. If I can go, I am prepared to pay a bit more than usual but not too much more. There's no way I can get 24K miles by May even if I buy a few thousand, so if I can't go to Greece and A3 does not extend status by another 6 months then I guess it's goodbye to A3.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 6:37 am

currently my status: To maintain my tier I still need: 6,765 Tier miles including 4 Aegean or Olympic Air flights or 21,765 Tier miles regardless of the partner airline but have time till Sept. I have booked Vie-Cph-Hnd-Cph-Vie in SAS Plus for good price but also curious if I will be able to make it. In this case I would earn enough miles to renew without needed A3/OA flights..
Old Dec 23, 2020, 1:43 pm

I managed to make Gold last fall before things really went south (whew!), with some extra. Need 6,087+4 or 18,087 by October 1 to requalify. I have hopes to do it even based in the USA. But an extension would not hurt my feelings.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 12:13 am

Programs: A3 *G
Maybe, even if they don't extend the renewal again, they'll have more of the offers they tried in October, such as double miles. I know it's not much use to those of you flying other airlines, but I was set to almost requalify with just a 4-leg domestic trip costing 120 Euro. I missed out on that by two days due to the new lockdown and now I haven't set foot on an aircraft for 50 weeks! I still have until September but... who knows...
Old Dec 24, 2020, 3:49 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by :D!
I am not at all confident that I will be able to make a hassle-free trip to Greece by 23 May. If I can go, I am prepared to pay a bit more than usual but not too much more. There's no way I can get 24K miles by May even if I buy a few thousand, so if I can't go to Greece and A3 does not extend status by another 6 months then I guess it's goodbye to A3.
That very much replicates my position. I have sufficient miles but need a further two A3/OA flights, having lost the opportunity in November when SKG airport was closed 24 hours before I was due to fly there. I have two more OA sectors booked in March, which have been in place for some time, but I'm becoming increasingly of the view that I won't be able to easily take them.

If that falls through I'll be burning my miles as quickly as possible and putting all my business into oneworld, which will bring to an end about 11 years of *G with firstly BD and now A3. My BA Gold would probably allow me to obtain a status match somewhere, but I wouldn't consider it worthwhile.

On the flip side, this is exactly the reason I maintained status in more than one alliance - that I couldn't predict when for whatever reason the rug might be pulled from under me on one or the other. Admittedly I expected it to be an unrealistic increase in renewal requirements rather than Covid ...
Swanhunter, :D! and yurtripper like this.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 7:10 am

Things should ease in March so a trip from the UK should be possible. Those in the UK should count themselves lucky ! Try doing it from Ireland with one of the most restrictive travel policies in Europe.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Things should ease in March so a trip from the UK should be possible. Those in the UK should count themselves lucky ! Try doing it from Ireland with one of the most restrictive travel policies in Europe.
I have ath-Lhr at march 1 . I hope will be possible to travel....
Old Dec 25, 2020, 5:30 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
It seems that will be able to travel visa-free for tourism for up to 90 days/6 months.

I have a back2back in January ATH-LHR, hope to make it without any troubles.
powergean likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by powergean
I have ath-Lhr at march 1 . I hope will be possible to travel....
Originally Posted by GBobon
It seems that will be able to travel visa-free for tourism for up to 90 days/6 months.
Unlike the Schengen area, the UK has not imposed any blanket entry restrictions based on the infection prevalence in each country. So far the only COVID-related restrictions have been on people coming from Denmark when there was the mink strain, and currently on people coming from South Africa. So unless there is a new Greek strain in March, you will probably be OK to travel
powergean likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Looking at the arrivals board at BER today was somewhat dispiriting - most of the few flights from the UK were listed as cancelled. The issue with flying to Britain in the near future is thus not entry to the country but whether airlines actually find it profitable to maintain schedules. And then there is the small matter of what happens when the return flight lands. A friend of mine is currently spending a terrible Christmas in an uncomfortable quarantine hotel in Larnaca away from his family. And, after the 7-day forced quarantine ends, there is another 7 days of house arrest to follow.

I am currently booked to fly with Aegean from LCA to LHR and return over the period January 11-14. Weighing up the costs and benefits of actually taking the trip will not be easy, but probably Aegean will make the decision for me by cancelling one or more flights. if the trip does go ahead, it will be interesting to compare the brown paper-bagged Aegean business class meal with that provided by Lufthansa - on a flight from LCA-FRA on December 20th, LH offered a fantastic 4-course meal with goose and all the traditional German accompaniments.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by johnirvine
I am currently booked to fly with Aegean from LCA to LHR and return over the period January 11-14. Weighing up the costs and benefits of actually taking the trip will not be easy, but probably Aegean will make the decision for me by cancelling one or more flights. if the trip does go ahead, it will be interesting to compare the brown paper-bagged Aegean business class meal with that provided by Lufthansa - on a flight from LCA-FRA on December 20th, LH offered a fantastic 4-course meal with goose and all the traditional German accompaniments.
no no johnirvine, you've got it all wrong, the Aegean Business Class experience is served in a luxury white paper bag. It's those poor passengers in economy who suffer the brown paper one.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 3:38 pm

Speaking of which, any news about catering coming back in Business ?

Was about to book CDG-ATH-CDG in April, but won't book Business if lounges + catering are still on Covid mode ...
Old Dec 28, 2020, 4:17 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
That very much replicates my position. I have sufficient miles but need a further two A3/OA flights, having lost the opportunity in November when SKG airport was closed 24 hours before I was due to fly there. I have two more OA sectors booked in March, which have been in place for some time, but I'm becoming increasingly of the view that I won't be able to easily take them.

If that falls through I'll be burning my miles as quickly as possible and putting all my business into oneworld, which will bring to an end about 11 years of *G with firstly BD and now A3. My BA Gold would probably allow me to obtain a status match somewhere, but I wouldn't consider it worthwhile.

On the flip side, this is exactly the reason I maintained status in more than one alliance - that I couldn't predict when for whatever reason the rug might be pulled from under me on one or the other. Admittedly I expected it to be an unrealistic increase in renewal requirements rather than Covid ...
I am in the same position. I need 2 A3 flights, or 3 flights in D class on OS or a long haul to renew before April. I have 2 sectors with A3 in February/March but I am also not convinced they will happen, which means no renewal. But then what do I do ? I will not renew Oneworld status either. So ...
Old Dec 28, 2020, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
But then what do I do ? I will not renew Oneworld status either. So ...
I went without status in any airline program for several years. It's survivable.
sokolov, Askin001, :D! and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
I am in the same position. I need 2 A3 flights, or 3 flights in D class on OS or a long haul to renew before April. I have 2 sectors with A3 in February/March but I am also not convinced they will happen, which means no renewal. But then what do I do ? I will not renew Oneworld status either. So ...
You are BA silver? I am sure there will be long-haul sales in J class from somewhere in Germany / AMS / LUX for between €1000 and €1500 in the future. Two of these tickets will get you to silver, or maybe just one if you can make it 6 segments. But even if you can't do it in your 2021-22 BA year, just do it in 2022-23 and you are back in the same position, because you start from 0 TP every year (and flying J gives you most of the silver benefits).

I wouldn't be too bothered if BA had not extended my status. But with A3 it's very different because once you miss a year it becomes much harder to get back to Gold, and if you go down to blue I think you lose the Together account too. That's why if I can't renew A3 Gold I'm not even going to bother trying to requalify from A3 Silver, no more paying extra to get a higher-earning booking class or flying around western Europe via Greece.
yurtripper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.