Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
The table hasn't been amended.

previously, only Golds could select in advance, for free.
But it's a new table. Look at the column below.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by headingwest
But it's a new table. Look at the column below.
Consider it a work in process. They added, but forgot to take away, it seems!

If you know the Flying Blue website and their publication of the Promo Awards each month, you'll know what I mean
Xandrios and headingwest like this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:53 am

Why not?

It still is, by some considerable distance, Europe's best FFP.
Correct. Knee jerk reactions aside A3 still provide a very good product and a great program compared to many others. Who knows if enough Golds get off their backsides and email in then maybe there will be a policy change and A3 M&B Golds will get it free. I am sure the rules are up for being amended.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
I dropped a note to A3 about this and suggested a compromise that Golds should at least have free seat selection when not on UPTE fares, keeping it in line with when they can use the upgrade coupons. What do you all think of that as an idea?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Correct. Knee jerk reactions aside A3 still provide a very good product and a great program compared to many others. Who knows if enough Golds get off their backsides and email in then maybe there will be a policy change and A3 M&B Golds will get it free. I am sure the rules are up for being amended.
I would hope so. Even stingy FFPs like M&M allow free seat selection for top tier elites (SEN and HON in LH's case) free of charge and regardless of the fare purchased. I've complained to A3 via E-Mail and would encourage everyone to do so too.
DELLAS likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:10 am

Interestingly, I checked in yesterday for my AMS-ATH flight tomorrow and could select the exit row for free and I just checked in for my return ATH-BRU on Sunday and again I'm in the exit row for free (flights booked as a one way AMS-ATH-BRU though so I guess I checked in yesterday just before they started charging? )
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AMS-ATH-BRU as a one way?

It sounds more like an open-jaw return to me!

Enjoy! More fun than taking the Intercity Brussel, which is not running from Amsterdam at weekends at present
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by FlyEurope
I would hope so. Even stingy FFPs like M&M allow free seat selection for top tier elites (SEN and HON in LH's case) free of charge and regardless of the fare purchased. I've complained to A3 via E-Mail and would encourage everyone to do so too.
... for what it's worth. On my last 10 LX flights as SEN, in 9 out of 10 cases they did not honor my seat reservation in Exit Row. As far as I could tell always some friends and family. Perhaps when charging something, A3 are less reluctant to completely disregard your seat reservation ...
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swiss_global
Perhaps when charging something, A3 are less reluctant to completely disregard your seat reservation ...
A3 uses the word "guaranteed" on the website, which is a pretty bold statement...
Attached Images  
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:30 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KL714
Interestingly, I checked in yesterday for my AMS-ATH flight tomorrow and could select the exit row for free and I just checked in for my return ATH-BRU on Sunday and again I'm in the exit row for free (flights booked as a one way AMS-ATH-BRU though so I guess I checked in yesterday just before they started charging? )
It is not yet in effect, judging by this fine print: Effective for sales from 01.02.2018 for travel from 12.02.2018 onwards.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: A3*G
I too sent them an email. Maybe - who knows - M&B Golds may select the front row seats at 48h OLCI for free. We will see. But for now, I encourage everyone else to complain. Maybe they'll rethink it. 16 € for a shorthaul European round-trip is insane...
Chr04 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:57 pm

AMS-ATH-BRU as a one way?

It sounds more like an open-jaw return to me!

Enjoy! More fun than taking the Intercity Brussel, which is not running from Amsterdam at weekends at present
Thanks, you're right except I booked it as a one way with an OTA with a 23 hour layover in ATH, so to A3 it's a one way via ATH

Originally Posted by Xandrios
It is not yet in effect, judging by this fine print: Effective for sales from 01.02.2018 for travel from 12.02.2018 onwards.
Hadn't seen that, thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by Arrivals
... But for now, I encourage everyone else to complain. Maybe they'll rethink it. 16 € for a shorthaul European round-trip is insane...
I argue that complaining through their social media accounts (i.e. facebook, twitter) would make much more impact.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:10 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I send a message on Twitter. My main complaint was that I believe they will never manage to fill all those rows with paying customers. On fulll flight they will have to give them for free for he last to check in. I pointed out to them that KLM does the same at half the cost, free for Gold and that they do have an improved legroom, unlike Aegean.
i got a standard response pointing to the announcement.
magyir likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by fransknorge
I send a message on Twitter. My main complaint was that I believe they will never manage to fill all those rows with paying customers. On fulll flight they will have to give them for free for he last to check in. I pointed out to them that KLM does the same at half the cost, free for Gold and that they do have an improved legroom, unlike Aegean.
i got a standard response pointing to the announcement.
You would be surprised it also depends on the market. Take Aer Lingus for example they get a decent amount of revenue for selling ''Choice Seats'' on all their flights. If the flight is full and only those seats available then they do allocate them when OLCI opens 30 hours prior and at the airport free of charge but that may be only a few as plenty opt to pre book seats these days. The jury is out if it will either work well for A3 or they will not gain much from it and just end up annoying their loyal customers. Personally I think they will get away with it after the dust settles. Its far less of a risk then they took when they changed the rules to keep Gold and shunted quite a lot of loyal members to Blue ( mostly Greeks doing Domestics ). Ancillary revenue is big money these days. I still maintain that A3 should have a re think over it being free for M&B Golds though.
Arrivals likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.