Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:49 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by DrHalxx
"Please note that charges already paid for seat reservations cannot be reimbursed if there are no equivalent seats available for reservation on the changed flight (i.e. same type and with the same characteristics)."

cheap
And, I would think, probably illegal if challenged. You can't charge for a service, not provide it because of an action you've taken, and still take the money.

I would personally initiate a credit card chargeback if they did this - the cost to A3 of that happening would soon persuade them of the folly of this policy, I'd suggest.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by HEhatesusall
Very weird... I had a confirmed seat assignment, but got booted out of it. Maybe because I used a gold coupon to upgrade? who knows...
Confirmed doesn't mean guaranteed.

Seat assignments can be altered at any time for operational reasons.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios
They will never be able to fill 6-9 rows with paid seat selections. So they will have to 'upgrade' people if the flight is even 2/3rds full. Will they do that for Golds first? Why not just allow Golds to pre-select their seats for free from the start...they will have to upgrade people anyway.
Judging by KLM's modus operandi, it's just the last people to check in that will get these seats.

But even KLM gives these seats for free to top tier elites.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
They are not getting my vote for best European ffp this year....
Why not?

It still is, by some considerable distance, Europe's best FFP.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:42 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Why not?

It still is, by some considerable distance, Europe's best FFP.
I guess the link is that the FFP no longer allows you free seat selection beyond that enjoyed by the general public, and the discount on the front seats still means the passenger is paying more for something that's been free (and an advantage over other passengers) for some years - hence the value is diminished.

Is it not reasonable to think you should end up with a better seat because you've put money the airline/FFP's way through crediting to it compared to a once a year traveller? Will we start to see A3*Gs stuck in a middle seat near the back because of this charging introduction?

By contrast, BA has rolled back on this and allows free advance seat selection to all its elite members (including oneworld equivalents). They also have theoretical seating which assigns preferred seats and blocks others off depending on status level. That's a definite seating benefit of being a BAEC member which A3 now simply doesn't compete on.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All true of course, but the trend across the industry is for fewer perks/benefits.

But it seems that you, too have bought into the idea that there are "better" seats - when, in actuality, the same seats are found throughout the cabin. I think this is an idea that was given to the airlines by travellers, rather than the other way around.

Sure, it's nicer to be in Row 5 than Row 25, solely because you can disembark faster [unless it's a destination where you can disembark from the back - then I'll be in the last row ], but not to the extent that I'd pay for it. I never pay for seats and selecting a free seat instead of a paid seat is no problem for me. And if you plan earlier and diligently, as I do when it comes to travel, you can probably always pick the first "free" row, which is pretty much indiscernible from the last paid "Up Front" row, anyway.

It appears that A3 is offering a 50% discount for these "Up Front" seats. No discount at all for the "extra legroom seats" though. (I actually dislike sitting in exit rows anyway, as I prefer to have my bag under the seat in front).

If people truly believe that there is such a thing as a "better" seat, then they shouldn't be surprised that the airline, latterly, appears to agree by charging for these.

For people like me who just wnat to get from A to B - any of the free ones will do, thank you very much!

That said, I am very much a once-a-year A3 traveller, so I am not at all impacted by this (in fact, it's been two years since my last A3 flight )
Old Feb 2, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
If people truly believe that there is such a thing as a "better" seat, then they shouldn't be surprised that the airline, latterly, appears to agree by charging for these.
How tall are you!?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I'm confused. Do non-status passengers have to pay for 'standard' seat selection or not? Aegean's website has contradictory information. I wonder how much this has all been thought through!

Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by headingwest
I'm confused. Do non-status passengers have to pay for 'standard' seat selection or not? Aegean's website has contradictory information. I wonder how much this has all been thought through!
Confusing. I just tried a dummy booking without logging in (i.e. no status). Free seats cannot be pre-selected. Only extra legroom or up front (with payment, of course).
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
So, what do they count as extra legroom seats? My impression is that the first 4 rows are indeed extra legroom, but my hope is that row 4 would be neither in business or designated as extra legroom, just an up front seat, which we can have for 2 euros as Gold. This is the only silver lining I can see in this new humiliation.....
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:55 am

So, what do they count as extra legroom seats? My impression is that the first 4 rows are indeed extra legroom, but my hope is that row 4 would be neither in business or designated as extra legroom, just an up front seat, which we can have for 2 euros as Gold. This is the only silver lining I can see in this new humiliation.....
I wouldn't even pay €2 for a forward row seat on a domestic flight (European flights cost more), they can stick it!

Personally I find the whole thing insulting that I can book a flight with SAS for example and get an extra legroom seat for free on a transatlantic flight - using A3's Gold card - but Aegean won't give me a free seat anywhere in front of the wing exits. It kind of gives the impression that they don't appreciate the loyalty of their status passengers. You've spent umpteen Euros with us, but it doesn't matter, we want more!

Anyway, I've fired off my complaint to customer services for what good it does.
NWIFlyer and palcsaky like this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:55 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
And, I would think, probably illegal if challenged. You can't charge for a service, not provide it because of an action you've taken, and still take the money.

I would personally initiate a credit card chargeback if they did this - the cost to A3 of that happening would soon persuade them of the folly of this policy, I'd suggest.
This only applies if you change the flight voluntarily. If the airline changes the flight (operational reasons) they do provide a refund.

Row 2-10 are 'Up Front' seats, row 11/12 are extra legroom (on the A320). Unfortunately for the longer flights these up front seats are charged at 16 euro (8 euro for gold). A much higher fee than other airlines are using.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:12 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Row 2-10 are 'Up Front' seats, row 11/12 are extra legroom (on the A320). Unfortunately for the longer flights these up front seats are charged at 16 euro (8 euro for gold). A much higher fee than other airlines are using.
And for middles as well? If so, and the description so far suggests it is, that's wholly absurd. This hasn't even been applied intelligently ...
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Definitely they won't get my vote this year, maybe they get the message. I will probably email them a complaint, too.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headingwest
The table hasn't been amended.

previously, only Golds could select in advance, for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.