Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G

Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G

I just checked in for an OA flight on the DHC-8 and I noticed that they have started to mark the exit seats as "Extra Legroom". This is new (although I haven't flown for over a month) and is a sign that they are about to start charging extra for those too, don't you think?

Last edited by Knobbgb; Jan 18, 2018 at 12:45 am
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:00 am

Sure seems like it, especially as it says 'free seat' which to me seems like it would be chargeable but because of your status you can select it for free..
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by KL714
Sure seems like it, especially as it says 'free seat' which to me seems like it would be chargeable but because of your status you can select it for free..
Actually I think it always said that. It means free as in vacant.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:10 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
The same applies to the A320:

Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
and is a sign that they are about to start charging extra for those too, don't you think?
As soon as their IT department can figure out how...
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: Miles & Bonus (A3), Miles & More (LH)
Let's see what Aegean has in mind regarding the cost for selecting seats with extra legroom.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:13 pm

They now also show your seat selection online, although it does not yet let me change the reservation:

Also works/shows for business class bookings
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:25 pm

Did they show that after you selected a seat (I guess by phone) or it just appears in any case? I have a bunch of domestic flights but I see nothing (maybe because they are domestic)
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Alexandros Bravos
Let's see what Aegean has in mind regarding the cost for selecting seats with extra legroom.
Most likely charging for first rows after J class on Airbus fleet where there is extra legroom. Exit rows charged and some others. Whats left at OLCI would be free to select. *G likely would get free seating as per agreements.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by jerry_greece
Did they show that after you selected a seat (I guess by phone) or it just appears in any case? I have a bunch of domestic flights but I see nothing (maybe because they are domestic)
Whenever I have new bookings I reserve the seats at the ticket desk in ATH So I imagine this does not show up if you have not selected any seats. However it most probably is a sign that online seat selecting is about to be introduced.

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Most likely charging for first rows after J class on Airbus fleet where there is extra legroom. Exit rows charged and some others. Whats left at OLCI would be free to select. *G likely would get free seating as per agreements.
If indeed free for *G I would very much welcome this. It will most probably mean that the first few rows will be less popular than now, meaning that the chances of the middle seat staying empty become much larger.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: A3 gold, BA silver, IHG platinum, Hilton Gold
What is interesting is that I just got booted out of 1A(which I had booked a few weeks in advance via phone) in an LHR-ATH segment that I'm about to fly on Saturday, and I'm an M+B gold. I got a call from A3 but couldn't pick it up. Called later to see if my reservation was OK, and the agent told me "there was a curtain position change(???) and you've been moved to 2F"

Tried to do OLCI, and whole row 1 was occupied. Expertflyer says row1 is occupied, and not blocked.

Very weird... I had a confirmed seat assignment, but got booted out of it. Maybe because I used a gold coupon to upgrade? who knows...

Edit: I figured out why... A3 looks like it's going to start charging for seat selection. On my return leg, in manage my booking I can now select my seat online, and I can see there are 3 categories: "standard, upfront, extra legroom". Right now I can change seats for free probably because I had already booked mine via phone.
In some other greek forums, people(even aegean golds) are asked for money for seat selection. Sample prices are:

Standard = free
Up Front up to row 10 : 2 euros
Extra leg room - 8 euros

Last edited by HEhatesusall; Feb 1, 2018 at 7:19 am
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: *G
since today?
last week, I took flights SKG/LCA/ATH, Y(3C) & C(1C), however, no extra charge.

https://en.aegeanair.com/travel-info...anges_refunds/
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: A3 gold, BA silver, IHG platinum, Hilton Gold
Interesting...
Personally, a very big reason why I don't choose P2P LCC's and prefer connecting via ATH is that I am able to select an exit row seat for free from A3. If I need to pay 30 euros one-way for a seat reservation, I might as well change my seat preferences...
Also, not giving at least some premium seats to M+B gold is a bit petty.

However, maybe when OLCI opens all seats can be selected for free by M+B golds, and nothing changes vs today, apart from taking away the free seat reservation benefit away?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Whenever I have new bookings I reserve the seats at the ticket desk in ATH So I imagine this does not show up if you have not selected any seats. However it most probably is a sign that online seat selecting is about to be introduced.

If indeed free for *G I would very much welcome this. It will most probably mean that the first few rows will be less popular than now, meaning that the chances of the middle seat staying empty become much larger.
So they went with an option I think is fair but I believe they have made a mistake with regards to *G/M&B for Front Seats. Even though they are offering a discount I believe it should be free at least for A3 M&B Gold. As expected some IT issues with charging.

An example for LHR-ATH:

Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by DELLAS
So they went with an option I think is fair but I believe they have made a mistake with regards to *G/M&B for Front Seats. Even though they are offering a discount I believe it should be free at least for A3 M&B Gold. As expected some IT issues with charging.
They seem to be offering a 50% discount to *G choosing an Up Front seat, no discount for the Extra Legroom seats. I agree, Up Front seats should be free – for me it was one of the main perks of M&B.

Last edited by MrArkadin; Feb 1, 2018 at 9:01 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.