FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:32 pm
DELLAS

Originally Posted by fransknorge
I send a message on Twitter. My main complaint was that I believe they will never manage to fill all those rows with paying customers. On fulll flight they will have to give them for free for he last to check in. I pointed out to them that KLM does the same at half the cost, free for Gold and that they do have an improved legroom, unlike Aegean.
i got a standard response pointing to the announcement.
You would be surprised it also depends on the market. Take Aer Lingus for example they get a decent amount of revenue for selling ''Choice Seats'' on all their flights. If the flight is full and only those seats available then they do allocate them when OLCI opens 30 hours prior and at the airport free of charge but that may be only a few as plenty opt to pre book seats these days. The jury is out if it will either work well for A3 or they will not gain much from it and just end up annoying their loyal customers. Personally I think they will get away with it after the dust settles. Its far less of a risk then they took when they changed the rules to keep Gold and shunted quite a lot of loyal members to Blue ( mostly Greeks doing Domestics ). Ancillary revenue is big money these days. I still maintain that A3 should have a re think over it being free for M&B Golds though.