Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free upgrade experience as A3*G

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by benberg2013
Did you have UA gold when you got that upgrade? Would they do so for non-golds?
A3 gold.
UA gold can always book economy plus.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:11 pm

I guess I am just very lucky, I've been A3*G since September 2013, but in the last six months or so I've upgraded to Business Class on three different occasions by: Air Canada (YUL-YVR, December 2014), ANA (HND-TSA, March 2015), and just last month on Swiss (YUL-ZRH).
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by ACKC
I guess I am just very lucky, I've been A3*G since September 2013, but in the last six months or so I've upgraded to Business Class on three different occasions by: Air Canada (YUL-YVR, December 2014), ANA (HND-TSA, March 2015), and just last month on Swiss (YUL-ZRH).
I assume because economy was full?

and just last month on Swiss (YUL-ZRH)
That is the only worthwhile upgrade.

Last edited by benberg2013; Jun 29, 2015 at 1:37 pm
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:40 am

Programs: A3*G
Been upgraded twice on TG and twice on TK, but only intra-Asia and intra-Europe. It's a nice touch that TK in BKK gives *G voucher for premium immigration and security lanes regardless of class traveled.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by benberg2013
Originally Posted by ACKC
I assume because economy was full?

and just last month on Swiss (YUL-ZRH)
That is the only worthwhile upgrade.
Depends on the equipment for YUL-YVR. AC puts wide bodies and narrow bodies on that route. It's also hard to upgrade, so I'm surprised OP got it as an op up
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: AC 25k, A3 *G, BA, Westjet Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
I have been lucky with AC the last two trips with them. In early January, I booked PE on CDG-YYZ with my A3 *G number attached to it along with my wife who is also A3 *G. We were upgraded at the gate by the agent when they scanned our boarding card. Y didn't look full but PE did so maybe they sold 2 upgrades and just moved us forward. J left full. Last week, YYC-LHR, on my Aeroplan number, heard the flight was oversold, approached the gate agent and showed them our *G and asked if there was a chance to move forward. The agent said no and then two minutes later, came a got us and moved us to J. Apparently they were oversold by 6 or 8 tickets. We are doing well so far this year.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
Was upgraded to PEY on NH IAH-NRT during OLCI. System stated that since I had *G, I could pre-select a seat in Y+. Same happened for NRT-SIN, upgraded to PEY at OLCI, then further upgraded to Business before boarding (Name was called at the gate).
Old Jul 12, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
80+ flights a year... and... never.
only one so so upgrade in LOT economy plus (nothing fancy)
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: AA-EP, A3*G, UA*S
Originally Posted by DreamHigh
Was upgraded to PEY on NH IAH-NRT during OLCI. System stated that since I had *G, I could pre-select a seat in Y+. Same happened for NRT-SIN, upgraded to PEY at OLCI, then further upgraded to Business before boarding (Name was called at the gate).
Was this ticket purchased on a higher fare bucket? Can anyone else confirm if this is typical for NH?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.1.2576 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Oh right. In 2013, I got an op up on YYZ-PHL on AC, after I spent a weekend meeting with my (now) ex. The upgrade might have been one of the only good things about the year that followed...
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: TK*S, KF Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
BR 35 YYZ - TPE
19/7
T class
A3*G

Premium economy -> Business

Was given an op up to business class due to flight being oversold
First time I've experienced an op up on a long haul!
Assuming my *G gave me priority over others?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
My niece texted me that she got an upgrade from Y to J on LX179 from SIN-ZRH as an A3 Silver member, flight was oversold & as well on CDG-YYZ on AC which was her connecting flight to YYZ.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Jan 12, 2016 at 2:48 pm
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: A3*G, BA silver, HH Gold
I got upgraded to C when flying home on an oversold OS flight, VIE-CPH this tuesday. They said nothing when I checked the bag, I got a new boarding pass at the gate.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:16 am

Programs: A3 *S
As a A3*G I was upgraded to J on Air Canada CDG->YUL in October of 2013.

After I checked in, I proceed to the AC lounge and asked the very nice dragon to unlock the shower room so I could take a shower after the sweaty experience of getting from downtown Paris through the ever-busy CDG and the long walk to the lounge.

After my shower, I said to her "Ah, I'm feeling better now". She replied, "and this will make your day even better" and handed me a new boarding pass with a huge smile on her face. I was shocked and overjoyed.

Once on the plane I saw that economy was completely full (and so was J), so it must have been an op-up. But the upgrade took place in the lounge about an hour or two from takeoff, so pretty surprising to be upgraded so early.

I was even flying on an award ticket purchased with United miles!

That is the only time I've ever been op-uped due to A3*G status. It was nice to try out the new AC long haul business class that had just been introduced then.

Last edited by fizban; Jul 30, 2015 at 8:05 am Reason: Add additional detail
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:58 am

I was upgraded on my flight VIE-BEG with Austrian Airlines to C. Learned about the upgrade during boarding.

The plane was completely full, yet to my surprise I got a seat in the first row.
Since it was a small Havilland DHC-8-400, there was nothing special about the upgrade besides plenty of legroom and a nice chocolate souffle for dessert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.