Wiki Posts
Search

Free upgrade experience as A3*G

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:53 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by romka_zrh
Any experiences with SQ/TG/AV/UA or other star airlines? What about intercontinental?
With most Asian airlines, particularly SQ, zero chance of upgrade - you want that class of service, you pay for it.

UA - you might, outside the US, be lucky and get a Y+ seat for nothing - it's one of the rare times it's worth checking in at a desk when HBO rather than online. For domestic, expect to pay unless they've cut your connection time due to delays, in which case it's the need to make the next flight that gets you moved forward, not your status.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
For domestic (UA), expect to pay
My experience is more positive. As I've mentioned, I've even been upgraded in North America on UA, both as A3 *S and as A3 *G.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
With most Asian airlines, particularly SQ, zero chance of upgrade - you want that class of service, you pay for it.
I have to correct you, you're wrong:

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Same happened to me last October on SQ FRA-SIN. Got an op-up into F-cl and was flying with an C-cl award and my *G status was in the file Never thought this would happen, but it did
Source: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...-upgrades.html

Last edited by Air Rarotonga; Apr 23, 2015 at 4:54 pm
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:34 pm
Community Director

I would respectfully suggest that's the exception that proves the rule. My strong inclination is that if you asked 99+% of non-SQ *G, they would say they've never been upgraded.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by benberg2013
Was economy full?
Yes, oversold !!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by romka_zrh
Thanks for the replies. So far, it seems that gold counts towards a higher upgrade probability if flying LX but not LH.

Any experiences with SQ/TG/AV/UA or other star airlines? What about intercontinental?

I agree that intra-european biz is not much, but a free middle seat on a full packed flight is marvelous. Seat blocking in eco almost never worked for me as I prefer front rows and many passengers ask for new seat assignment at the gate, even if they have to catch the middle one.

SQ is a NEVER!! TG yes possibility, we were pushed to the front while in the Y cabin and someone came to sit in our seats, so they FA looked at our BP's and shoved us, literally to the front.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:06 pm

A lot of the time Im travelling in J with Star but in the past I had a few upgrades on UA TATL which was very welcome. I find there is no set procedure and depends on the gate agent and the loads of the flights, number of the airlines own FF status members travelling etc...
Old May 17, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus LH Senator (yes, two *A programs. Go figure)
When returning from Xmas holidays, my partner (no status) and myself (A3 G) were upgraded on AC flight from YYZ to ATH at the gates. Did not see it coming. One more person was upgraded. Plane was packed.

SQ - once I had the audacity to ask them for an upgrade at the gates for SIN-IST flight, they literary laughed at me. I know it was a long shot, but did not expect Singaporean staff to actually laugh... :-)
Old May 17, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I am confused, how does Y get oversold in Europe since there is no business hard product section anyway, don't they just move the curtain up, making the business section as small as needed, or just eliminate it, making the aircraft all Y, if that's what people paid for? Or are we talking about aircraft with a business section with the middle seat permanently blocked?
Old May 17, 2015, 8:19 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
There are two issues with that:

1. If the last row already has 1 business class pax, they cannot move the divider without downgrading the business pax. They can however still upgrade 3 people from Economy to Business.

2. Generally the crew does not know if the opup is required until just before departure. While the divider can be moved, it generally is not done while (some) pax have already boarded the aircraft (Though I have seen them do it). It would also require an update to the seat map which is technically complex. (Or at least more complex than upgrading people).

Another trick what they can do is, place the people that are upgraded in the same row and also use/fill the middle seat. Air france used to do that by upgrading people to Economy Comfort (Which is actually in the business class cabin, but with middle seat used/occupied).
Old May 17, 2015, 9:39 am
Community Director

The curtain is also not 100% 'portable' in many aircraft configurations, so usually there's a minimum of around 3 Business Class rows where the curtain can't physically move any further forward.
Old May 17, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I see, it looks like more like a convenience issue.
Old May 17, 2015, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
The curtain is also not 100% 'portable' in many aircraft configurations, so usually there's a minimum of around 3 Business Class rows where the curtain can't physically move any further forward.
I was on A3 TLV-ATH and i was the only biz passenger - i had pre-chosen seat 2d , and thats what i received with the curtain behind my head.
Old May 17, 2015, 3:38 pm
Community Director

Yes, that's about what you'd expect - between 2 and 4 rows depending on aircraft type. Most are probably two.
Old May 17, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Yep, even on the flights that have no C class, the curtain sits between rows two and three (on the A320 at least).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.