Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2023, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Opposite
The main problem I’d like to solve is booking A3 using points, but I don’t have any A3 points. I do have a boatload of Amex, Chase, and other SA points.

I don’t see any availability except when booking direct on A3 site. Economy/ anything available is fine.
Well than you will clearly have no chance to book the flights to/from JNX as those are Olympic Air Flights and Olympic is Not Part of *A.

As NWIFlyer explained availability for Miles-and-Bonus-members should be the as for members of other *A programs on Aegean flights, so If you See no availability there, then there is non.

Again, if your are looking for summer flights, especialy between July and September your are probably to late.
Sometimes there is availability a few days before departure, but i dont know If you Like to Take the risk.
​​​​
Old Mar 23, 2023, 9:08 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Opposite
The main problem I’d like to solve is booking A3 using points, but I don’t have any A3 points. I do have a boatload of Amex, Chase, and other SA points.

I don’t see any availability except when booking direct on A3 site. Economy/ anything available is fine.

Economy will suite me just fine. I could not find anything via UA online.

I've just looked at a few dates in July on the A3 website. Now I do see some availability for AMS-ATH-AMS flights, but nothing at all with Aegean direct - they are all connecting flights (e.g. with LH). As has been said, at this stage - given that A3 only allocates the absolute minimum number of redemption seats it has to under Star Alliance rules - it is very, very unlikely you're going to find anything direct.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 11:22 am

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Under EC261 Article 5, this isn't correct. Whether they like it or not, and this is one of the few things they try to wriggle out of, A3 have a legal duty to rebook. The legislation is really clear. If a flight is cancelled, they must offer re-booking in accordance with Article 8. There's no time limit on this. The 14 days is only for compensation purposes.

If A3 refuse, under no circumstances should you take the refund because they will claim you made that choice. If they force you to book elsewhere, they will be liable for the cost and you would win in court.
Thanks! This is what I initially thought but they clearly didn't want to follow this interpretation on the phone. They are willing to reroute but only on A3 metal. I tried to repeat EC261 rights but they said that they are not obligated to reroute on other carriers. I talked to two different agents, one from the Gold line. Hopefully I'll be able to push them to follow the EC261 rules next time on the phone but when I don't agree they seem to get annoyed quickly...
NWIFlyer and romans like this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by matio_svk
Hi
Any idea how flexible A3 is when rebooking a cancelled route?
I was due to fly VIE>ATH>PAR>ATH>BTS, on the inaugural ATH>BTS flight.. Unfortunately A3 killed the whole ATH>BTS>ATH route, which leaves with no option for change of dates...
It was my understanding from the thread about BTS (Inaugural BTS Flight) that the route was delayed until September? So, in theory, you could move the trip to then if the real goal was to be on the inaugural...

Now, the A3 *G hotline told me, I can only change dates of +-10 Days of original dates, but she was unable to confirm if route can be changed (she told me to call at daytime, when a supervisor is present)...
Anyone have experience if I can change for free the route completely (lets say to VIE>ATH>CAI) or only regional changes would be allowed (like VIE>ATH>RHO... etc)? Thanks
There simply is no way you can change a VIE-PAR (the metropolitan area code for Paris, but I presume you mean some Greek airport)-BTS into a VIE-(Greece)-CAI (and again I am assuming you mean Cairo). Cairo is not a logical replacement for Bratislava so if you wanted to change your ticket to this, you will be subject to the full raft of change fees and fare differences (if it even is allowed by the underlying fare rules to turn a simple European return into a weird intercontinental open-jaw).

The best you could probably expect is to switch from BTS to VIE - given that a mere 30 miles separate the two airports it's the most logical replacement for BTS - but you might be able to persuade them to change to some other European airport in the near vicinity. But they won't swap BTS for Cairo without charging you a fortune.

Of course, you are also entitled to a full refund if that is what you would prefer.
matio_svk likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA Exec Plat Pro, Accor Silver, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, PP
Originally Posted by irishguy28
It was my understanding from the thread about BTS (Inaugural BTS Flight) that the route was delayed until September? So, in theory, you could move the trip to then if the real goal was to be on the inaugural...

There simply is no way you can change a VIE-PAR (the metropolitan area code for Paris, but I presume you mean some Greek airport)-BTS into a VIE-(Greece)-CAI (and again I am assuming you mean Cairo). Cairo is not a logical replacement for Bratislava so if you wanted to change your ticket to this, you will be subject to the full raft of change fees and fare differences (if it even is allowed by the underlying fare rules to turn a simple European return into a weird intercontinental open-jaw).

The best you could probably expect is to switch from BTS to VIE - given that a mere 30 miles separate the two airports it's the most logical replacement for BTS - but you might be able to persuade them to change to some other European airport in the near vicinity. But they won't swap BTS for Cairo without charging you a fortune.

Of course, you are also entitled to a full refund if that is what you would prefer.
The inaugural was a nice bonus, but not the goal, so I would prefer flying in a similiar date.... so +-10 days is OK...

Yes, you are right, not PAR but PAS (Paros Island) is correct ad was my original destination. But my question was rather, if from expereice A3 will only rebook the departure airport (logically to VIE in my case) or if A3 will permit a change of destination as well, be it to a different greek airport (for example RHO/JTR....) or to a different country altogether (like LCA, TLV, CAI... etc)
To be absolutely precise, from VIE>ATH>PAS>ATH>BTS which was my original itin, to VIE>ATH>RHO>ATH>VIE or VIE>ATH>LCA>ATH>VIE
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
But my question was rather, if from expereice A3 will only rebook the departure airport (logically to VIE in my case) or if A3 will permit a change of destination as well, be it to a different greek airport (for example RHO/JTR....) or to a different country altogether (like LCA, TLV, CAI... etc)
No direct experience, but changing to a different Greek destination shouldn't really be a problem.

Changing your final destination to a different country (other than to VIE/Austria), though, seems to me to be a much bigger ask - it's clearly not at all related to the issue with BTS and therefore is not something that would normally be entertained. As such, they are not going to overlook the normal rules of your fare when making such a change, because that is a completely voluntary change requested by yourself which is not a direct consequence of the BTS issue.

Please ring and enquire, then return here to let us know!

Good luck!
Old Mar 25, 2023, 3:29 am

But my question was rather, if from expereice A3 will only rebook the departure airport (logically to VIE in my case) or if A3 will permit a change of destination as well, be it to a different greek airport (for example RHO/JTR....) or to a different country altogether (like LCA, TLV, CAI... etc)
To be absolutely precise, from VIE>ATH>PAS>ATH>BTS which was my original itin, to VIE>ATH>RHO>ATH>VIE or VIE>ATH>LCA>ATH>VIE
Probably not. Tried to change DUS->CFU into IOA because of the Airport closure at CFU and was told to rebook. The flights to IOA were slightly cheaper, so i did not really bother to try again.
matio_svk likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 3:27 am

Programs: A3 gold, BA silver, IHG platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog
Thanks! This is what I initially thought but they clearly didn't want to follow this interpretation on the phone. They are willing to reroute but only on A3 metal. I tried to repeat EC261 rights but they said that they are not obligated to reroute on other carriers. I talked to two different agents, one from the Gold line. Hopefully I'll be able to push them to follow the EC261 rules next time on the phone but when I don't agree they seem to get annoyed quickly...
I had the same problem maybe 6 years ago during a very bad snowstorm . I wanted to fly SKG->LHR via ATH . Original ticket was only on A3 metal. Since cancellations were massive though, I could only rebook for 3 days later (via the gold line). To my suprise, I found a next-day A3+LH flight(in A3's site as well!) but A3 refused to reroute me because they reroute on A3 metal only...
Which I guess is sightly different than your case. I'm not sure if these 2 extra days I stayed in SKG were a direct violation of EU261,but I'd be interested to know

On a side note, after the above incident I made sure to keep expenses of every single penny I spent during these 2.5 extra days in SKG and got A3 to pay every single meal,beverage and taxi I spent during these days, plus I got them to pay for a hotel (even though I have a house in SKG). I made the point in the gold line saying "look, hotel+daily expenses for me are 200 euros per day easily. Can we please not be daft, reroute me on LH and save A3 some money and save me my time?" The answer was no, I got a bit angry, and ended up successfully expensing 500 or so euros for hotel+meals+taxis.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 8:34 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA Exec Plat Pro, Accor Silver, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, PP
Smile

So good news and to answer my question
Called the A3 *G hotline, I asked if I can be rerouted from VIE>ATH>PAS>ATH>BTS to VIE>ATH>JNX>ATH>VIE and this was granted... After rebooking I asked to know what the policy is and I was told that departure airport had to be in similiar region (so BTS>VIE) and since it was originally a International>Greek itinerary I could request any Greek airport and it would be granted... The whole phone call took 4 minutes including waiting time.... No complaints here
Old Mar 29, 2023, 12:05 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by HEhatesusall
I had the same problem maybe 6 years ago during a very bad snowstorm . I wanted to fly SKG->LHR via ATH . Original ticket was only on A3 metal. Since cancellations were massive though, I could only rebook for 3 days later (via the gold line). To my suprise, I found a next-day A3+LH flight(in A3's site as well!) but A3 refused to reroute me because they reroute on A3 metal only...
Which I guess is sightly different than your case. I'm not sure if these 2 extra days I stayed in SKG were a direct violation of EU261,but I'd be interested to know
Definitely a violation, and there's lots of case law to point to. You'd be entitled to €600 delay compensation.

The bad news is that - unless Greece has a different statue of limitations to most other European countries - you may be beyond the claim time at 6 years.
HEhatesusall likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 10:18 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
lounge access - J -> Y

Looking at a trip LHR-ATH-CAI later this year; if I were to upgrade the family LHR-ATH with coupons, so we arrive into ATH in J, could we still access the ATH lounge if we are going on to CAI in Y? Is the answer different if the onwards flight on MS has only Y?

tia.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Looking at a trip LHR-ATH-CAI later this year; if I were to upgrade the family LHR-ATH with coupons, so we arrive into ATH in J, could we still access the ATH lounge if we are going on to CAI in Y? Is the answer different if the onwards flight on MS has only Y?

tia.
You won't be able to get lounge access in ATH since the entry requirements are based on the outgoing flight - the incoming flight in J is of no help unfortunately. Unless you have *G or A3*S status and can use lounge coupon(s).
powergean likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 12:15 pm

You can use the lounge at Heathrow only, if you not *A gold.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 5:07 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by nikolask
You won't be able to get lounge access in ATH since the entry requirements are based on the outgoing flight - the incoming flight in J is of no help unfortunately. Unless you have *G or A3*S status and can use lounge coupon(s).
Originally Posted by powergean
You can use the lounge at Heathrow only, if you not *A gold.
thanks guys - I thought as much, but worth checking. I am *G but can only take in one guest, of course...
Old Apr 5, 2023, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
thanks guys - I thought as much, but worth checking. I am *G but can only take in one guest, of course...
Well it kind of depends who "the family" consists of. If it's for example you, spouse + 1-2 underage kids and you're an Aegean gold tier holder you could try your luck at Aegean's own lounge... If there are more adults involved or your gold comes from a different airline it might be near-impossible though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.