Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2023, 6:30 am

jerseykeebs X on Aegean via a star alliance award ticket should grant you a 23kg piece of luggage. You can book such an award with Aegean's own miles too (it books into a category simply called "economy", which includes a 23kg luggage and doesn't fall under any of the marketed "light", "flex" etc. categories). But if you have booked a mixed cabin ticket I can't even imagine a way you'll be asked to pay for the first piece of 23kg luggage.
Try to access your booking on Aegean's website ("my booking") to see if you get the info right then and there...
Old Feb 18, 2023, 11:34 am

I've booked it and the flight nr starts with LX8xxx, so I guess no miles will be credited to M+B. Next question: am I able to use the Swiss star gold check in (I'm A3*G) and use the lounge (You do get a SWISS boarding pass in the online check-in, but with a WK flight number)? Anyone got experience with Edelweiss as a non-LH group senator?
Old Feb 18, 2023, 9:02 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by xljost
I've booked it and the flight nr starts with LX8xxx, so I guess no miles will be credited to M+B. Next question: am I able to use the Swiss star gold check in (I'm A3*G) and use the lounge (You do get a SWISS boarding pass in the online check-in, but with a WK flight number)? Anyone got experience with Edelweiss as a non-LH group senator?
Nope, the WK flight number answers your question - it's a code share, not a *A fight so no benefits whatsoever, sorry.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by giorginho
jerseykeebs X on Aegean via a star alliance award ticket should grant you a 23kg piece of luggage. You can book such an award with Aegean's own miles too (it books into a category simply called "economy", which includes a 23kg luggage and doesn't fall under any of the marketed "light", "flex" etc. categories). But if you have booked a mixed cabin ticket I can't even imagine a way you'll be asked to pay for the first piece of 23kg luggage.
Try to access your booking on Aegean's website ("my booking") to see if you get the info right then and there...
Thanks for the reply @giorginho. Interesting that "economy" for an award is completely separate from the Lite/Flex, thanks for pointing that out!

I used the PNR provided by United to access the booking on Aegean. It lists the X fare code, but nothing specific when it comes to bags. It says:

"
Free checked baggage allowance for A3/OA flights: 0 piece for Light/Flex, 1 piece up to 23kg for ComfortFlex/Saver, 2 pieces up to 32kg each for Business Class. For more information about baggage, please click here."

And then each passenger is listed under that, with a " - ", so details about bags are non-existent lol I'm assuming that since United still has control of the ticket, it's preventing me from seeing/doing anything else for this booking. I can't select seats or prepay for bags online, must call reservations phone line in Greece!
Old Feb 20, 2023, 1:14 pm

You can contact Aegean through email. Alternatively, you can install Viber or Skype and add some credits (2$ or 5$) to make landline calls. It is pretty cheap (0.02$ per second for Viber).
I also use this when abroad and need to make a phone call but do not want to use roaming.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 3:20 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I am looking to book A3/A3 JTR-ATH-FCO flight after they have dropped their prices to match ITA Airways. One offers 40 mins transit at ATH. Or 4 hr transit at ATH. All in 1 ticket.

Is 40 min transit to ATH enough time? How often are JTR-ATH flight late?

If I do pick 4 hour transit option, what can I do at ATH, or should I just go out to Athens sightseeing (with wife and kids)?
Old Feb 25, 2023, 4:05 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Is 40 min transit to ATH enough time? How often are JTR-ATH flight late?

If I do pick 4 hour transit option, what can I do at ATH, or should I just go out to Athens sightseeing (with wife and kids)?
40 mins are typically enough for a Schengen-to-Schengen transit. If you don't make the flight (due to a delayed inbound, for instance), they'll rebook you to the next one anyway, so you have nothing to lose.

IMO 4 hours are not enough for a family to make a sensible sightseeing trip to the city, considering the transport times, re-clearing security etc.
kamchatsky likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by gojko88
40 mins are typically enough for a Schengen-to-Schengen transit. If you don't make the flight (due to a delayed inbound, for instance), they'll rebook you to the next one anyway, so you have nothing to lose.

IMO 4 hours are not enough for a family to make a sensible sightseeing trip to the city, considering the transport times, re-clearing security etc.
Thanks for that. We hold Australian passports, we still don’t need to clear any immigration at ATH as we are all within Schengen areas right?

Also, I am SQ *G. If we book Light or Flex fares for all 4 of us (2 adults and 2 children) in 1 booking, do I get a free checked bag? Also can all 4 of us go into the lounge?
Old Feb 25, 2023, 6:07 am

Even if the flight is on time, in four hours you just about have enough time to walk to the train station, take the next train to the city, change platforms, take the next train to the airport and walk to security and then your gate!
Old Feb 25, 2023, 7:44 am

Also, I am SQ *G. If we book Light or Flex fares for all 4 of us (2 adults and 2 children) in 1 booking, do I get a free checked bag?
For ATH-FCO, yes
For JTR-ATH, since the flight is A3 and not OA, I believe the answer is also yes (there used to be an issue when the flight had an Olympic Air flight number where *G did not apply, but I believe this was resolved when they switched to A3 flight numbers).

Also can all 4 of us go into the lounge?
Isn't the *G policy that you can guest ONE more person besides you? If only you are Gold, how will you guest THREE more people?
Anyway, if you took the 40min connection, there wouldn't be time to enter the lounge
kamchatsky likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 7:46 am

We hold Australian passports, we still don’t need to clear any immigration at ATH as we are all within Schengen areas right?
Arriving in Athens from Santorini, why would you need to clear immigration? It's a domestic flight.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by ariadgr_
Arriving in Athens from Santorini, why would you need to clear immigration? It's a domestic flight.
Sorry I meant to exit Greek passport control at ATH. I assume that Schengen - Schengen, no passport control is required?
Old Feb 27, 2023, 2:25 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
That is correct, no passport control anywhere on that routing.
kamchatsky likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 4:06 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by gojko88
That is correct, no passport control anywhere on that routing.
No re-clearing security either. I've made 40 and 50 minute connections several times at ATH (never missed one) and usually even find time for a coffee in the lounge!

BUT - what time of year are you travelling? In July/August things can be very different. Flights from the islands are a lot more likely to be delayed 10 or 20 minutes and ATH can be a bit of a zoo. In high season I'd probably take the 4hr connection for the sake of my nerves.
kamchatsky likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
No re-clearing security either. I've made 40 and 50 minute connections several times at ATH (never missed one) and usually even find time for a coffee in the lounge!

BUT - what time of year are you travelling? In July/August things can be very different. Flights from the islands are a lot more likely to be delayed 10 or 20 minutes and ATH can be a bit of a zoo. In high season I'd probably take the 4hr connection for the sake of my nerves.
We are planning to fly on 14 July. I think that is peak season at Santorini and Europe in general? It is unfortunate that there are no direct flights to FCO in that day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.