Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:49 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
EDIT: Plus ticketed within a couple of hours. They're definitely improving. Now, let's put whoever deals with these things in charge of sending the cards out. .
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I was a little surprised at the speed given the time of day (8pm in Greece) and the horribly bodged experience last year which took several months, five phone calls and a lot of angst before the ticket was finally re-issued not long before I travelled.
I used my coupons recently at 7pm Greek time on a weekday, and my e-ticket was reissued by the next morning. I was in Asia so went to bed right after the call!

Interestingly, just as I was about to switch off the lights, the agent called me back because my card was declined for payment of EUR 2, so I had to give a new card. But this indicates that they don't actually process anything during the call and do it all later. Maybe if there are long queues they answer all the calls first but if the queue is short they will book the flights right away?

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Ticket purchased via the App
BTW, for UK readers, Amex Travel UK now lets you book A3 flights, so no more credit card or forex fees and triple/quadruple MR points (But it's a pain to change or cancel through Amex Travel)

If all A3 flights, tickets will be 390- so should work for upgrades.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: A3
My upgrade was processed really quick - just after the phone call the e-mail with the new ticket arrived. But unfortunatelly the miles were not claimed yet.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by bsisk0
...But unfortunatelly the miles were not claimed yet.
I guess you mean credited. And I also assume that the upgrade and the flight were in the recent past... If my guesses are correct, the miles may not get into your account unless you claim them, by calling them 14 days after the flight (on-line won't necessarily do in this case). Look at the dedicated thread (should be easy to find).
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
I have been waiting for a few months to see I availability on my flight TLV-ATH end of march, there has not been availability since I first checked 3 months ago. So I decided 5 days ago to put it on the waiting list, and yesterday I get a call saying it is confirmed. Good service, and.... they are so polite
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by benberg2013
I have been waiting for a few months to see I availability on my flight TLV-ATH end of march, there has not been availability since I first checked 3 months ago. So I decided 5 days ago to put it on the waiting list, and yesterday I get a call saying it is confirmed. Good service, and.... they are so polite
In some cases certain dates and flights often show full months ahead. Always a good idea to WL as revenue will release if they can. They released one for me just before Christmas and it was only booked 48 hours before. I actually didnt think it would clear.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:26 am

In my experience, as far as they see availability in C, they will clear a seat for you, which is a good thing because they realised that saving C-seats even for blackout dates like x-mas "just in case" leads to empty C (that has happened to me - totally empty C class and I wasn't upgraded because it was x-mas period).

Regarding the miles credit, in December my miles (after upgrade to I) were automatically credited after some days, but that didn't happen recently to a flight (an email to m&b though, was enough).
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:21 pm
lky

Programs: BA GGL, Aegean Gold, Hilton Diamond, AmanJunkie
Waiting list on upgrade

Tried to use 4 Gold upgrade coupons for the first time today today for flights from Larnaca to Athens happening mid August, where am flying with my young son. Was told the best they could do was put me on waiting list for upgrade - which bit surprising I thought given the flights are wide open. Any thoughts how likely it is that the coupons are used and get upgraded? The agent said if I was I could hear from them anytime between now and the day before the flight - is that realistic?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by lky
Tried to use 4 Gold upgrade coupons for the first time today today for flights from Larnaca to Athens happening mid August, where am flying with my young son. Was told the best they could do was put me on waiting list for upgrade - which bit surprising I thought given the flights are wide open. Any thoughts how likely it is that the coupons are used and get upgraded? The agent said if I was I could hear from them anytime between now and the day before the flight - is that realistic?
What do you mean by wide open? Many cheap booking classes still available?

Without knowing your particular travel dates I hardly find that surprising given that August is peak travel period. From what we've heard so far, revenue management will take a look at the flights, if a gold member is put on the waitlist and tend to accept the upgrade if they believe the empty middle seat won't be needed as an economy seat. So normally I'd say your chances are good, but their might be high demand in August.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by lky
You'll probably find within the next day or 2 you will receive a call from Aegean confirming the upgrade.

Please Report back here.

Thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:26 pm
Suspended

I have just waitlisted a flight in march, the agent said "business class is quite full on that flight" - when on expertflyer I don't see any less availability than usual. Unless it is not showing all. But she still waitlisted it. We'll see what happens.

Is there any way how to check how many Business seats have been taken on that flight? Expertflyer shows At least 4 seats available in Business, but may be more, and EF does not show A3 seatmaps.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:42 pm
lky

Programs: BA GGL, Aegean Gold, Hilton Diamond, AmanJunkie
Yes meant many cheap booking classes still available thanks - felt like we were first pax booking seats on the particular flights - will let people here know if upgrade comes through
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
A Greek friend succesfully upgraded my OTP-ATH-BRU flights without problem, using her vouchers she couldnt use herself.

Only slightly weird aspect: the A3 agent said there was availability, but couldn't upgrade instantly as HQ had to give a green light, so they would call back. But when my friend informed me about this right after the call, and I checked right away on Aegean manage booking and checkmytrip.com, it already listed the flights as I class and business class on both websites respectively.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:55 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
My upgraded flights last week didn't post automatically and online retroclaim was rejected. Will call later.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 5:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by benberg2013
I have just waitlisted a flight in march, the agent said "business class is quite full on that flight" - when on expertflyer I don't see any less availability than usual. Unless it is not showing all. But she still waitlisted it. We'll see what happens.

Is there any way how to check how many Business seats have been taken on that flight? Expertflyer shows At least 4 seats available in Business, but may be more, and EF does not show A3 seatmaps.
And today they called me, confirming the upgrade.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
A Greek friend succesfully upgraded my OTP-ATH-BRU flights without problem, using her vouchers she couldnt use herself.

Only slightly weird aspect: the A3 agent said there was availability, but couldn't upgrade instantly as HQ had to give a green light, so they would call back. But when my friend informed me about this right after the call, and I checked right away on Aegean manage booking and checkmytrip.com, it already listed the flights as I class and business class on both websites respectively.
Maybe the CSR meant that there was availability in the Business Class cabin but not in I class. WL it and it was quickly confirmed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.