Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Moderator2
Place holder for ESTA wiki:
Print Wikipost

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Are you staying in the USA when you arrive, or are you leaving soon after on an onward flight to a third country? That is the transit being asked about.

For example: Fly to JFK, fly onwards to Chicago later the same day - not transit.
Fly to JFK, fly onwards to Mexico City the same day - transit.
Fly to JFK, stay in New York for a week, then fly to Toronto - not transit.

You're probably better off in the Destinations - USA forum.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by Omar84
Hey folks, so just a question regarding the ESTA for US. I wasn't sure where the best place was to post this question. But doing CPH-LHR-JFK in July and their is a question which asks if you are going through transit. I suppose yes, but at the same time it's BA metal from CPH to LHR. Then change of terminal to fly from T3 on AA metal. So is this considered transit for ESTA purposes?

Cheers
Hi

I can't remember the exact question - but I believe the Transit question refers to whether you are transiting through the U.S. to another Country. They are only are interested in where you came from / via on the Customs form where you are asked to list the Countries you visited prior to this trip.

Pilot37
Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: British airways
Hi there regardless of metal your travelling on if you go the planned route your intending on taking you will need your esta before you travel. When in transit within the USA you will need to have an esta as there are no longer transit without visa facilities in the USA anymore, but only in direct transit. Like the other person stated if your stopping then going on you will need the esta before you arrive in the USA
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:28 am

Hi folks!

Firstly, thanks to those who alleviated my worries in my thread a couple of months ago, much appreciated.

Anyway just a quick question this time. I'm intending to travel to the US later this year, but I'll be moving to a new home address next month prior to travelling. Since I'm unable to change my home address on my current ESTA, will I need to apply for a new one? Or simply just ignore it? I ask because any documents I bring with me to show ties to the UK would likely include my new address, rather than my old one.

Cheers,
Old May 1, 2016, 1:05 pm

I hold a B1/B2 and C1/D visa. Do I still need an ESTA if I'm entering the USA on vacation with no business connection?
Old May 1, 2016, 2:25 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
B2 covers visits for tourism doesn't it? If you have a visa you don't need to use teh visa waiver program & ESTA.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
B2 covers visits for tourism doesn't it? If you have a visa you don't need to use teh visa waiver program & ESTA.
I think so! I hold the visa's for my pilot role, and on the ESTA website the only thing that caught my eye was:

"If you already have a B1/B2 or any other valid visa and you are traveling for the purpose in which it was issued, you do not need to apply for an ESTA authorization." (my bold)

And so it's not entirely clear whether I should have an ESTA if I'm not travelling to the USA with the purpose of transferring to the jet.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:03 pm

Minor Travel

So I was planning a trip to Tampa this late summer for only a weekend travelling there by myself and meeting friends. I was just wondering if I can actually do that? I'm currently 17 years old and live in the UK. I've checked everywhere else and other sites say "I need an ESTA" and stuff like that. To be honest with you I'm not even sure what an ESTA is.
Old May 17, 2016, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Hello and welcome to FlyerTalk!

Start your reading concerning entry requirements on these UK and US websites:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/esta
Old May 22, 2016, 3:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AllTheNines
I think so! I hold the visa's for my pilot role, and on the ESTA website the only thing that caught my eye was:

"If you already have a B1/B2 or any other valid visa and you are traveling for the purpose in which it was issued, you do not need to apply for an ESTA authorization." (my bold)

And so it's not entirely clear whether I should have an ESTA if I'm not travelling to the USA with the purpose of transferring to the jet.
Since you current have a B1/B2 (business and/or tourism) then you don't need ESTA. In this case same purpose of travel means the visa category.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:31 pm

Two UK Passports Two Estas

Hello All,

Got 2 Passports due to work one has a expired USA visa in it as well as a Esta attached to the number

Another passport has a new US Visa in it could i also apply for a ESTA to be attached to this passport ?

Thanks

Liam
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
You don't need ESTA if you have a Visa AND are using that Visa to enter the USA. (There's no harm in having an ESTA, but it's not necessary.)

If you are entering under VWP (Visa Waiver Program) then you need an ESTA for the passport you are using to enter, except at land borders where you don't need an ESTA.

(What I'm not sure about is whether having an ESTA simplifies checkin - airlines need to manually verify Visas, but they don't need to manually verify ESTAs.)
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:16 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I'm going to move this to the USA forum, where ESTA issues are commonly discussed.

TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security
Old Aug 17, 2016, 4:33 am

ESTA application Eligibility question error - HELP

My wife recently completed her on-line ESTA application and submitted. The application was Not Authorised. When she looked back at the form she noticed that she had answered IN ERROR Yes to question 4 - Do you seek to engage in or have you ever been engaged in terrorist activities....

Having made contact with the ESTA team she was advised to make a DS160 application for a Non Immigrant visa, requiring an appointment for an interview at the Embassy.

Has anyone else experienced making the same stupid mistake? Which I can sort of understand as her mother had passed away a few days prior to her making the application and she was obviously not concentrating.

Does anyone know how likely it is that the Embassy will still refuse her a visa?

Thanks.

Last edited by nsf323; Aug 17, 2016 at 4:42 am
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by nsf323
My wife recently completed her on-line ESTA application and submitted. The application was Not Authorised. When she looked back at the form she noticed that she had answered IN ERROR Yes to question 4 - Do you seek to engage in or have you ever been engaged in terrorist activities....

Having made contact with the ESTA team she was advised to make a DS160 application for a Non Immigrant visa, requiring an appointment for an interview at the Embassy.

Has anyone else experienced making the same stupid mistake? Which I can sort of understand as her mother had passed away a few days prior to her making the application and she was obviously not concentrating.

Does anyone know how likely it is that the Embassy will still refuse her a visa?

Thanks.
If you have enough time until travel, read this page and email CBP (with the application number) as described:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...V29QWldpWW0%3D

(It's not entirely clear who you mean by "ESTA team", but if it wasn't an actual CBP immigration officer then you can safely ignore their advice.)

If you've already done that and they told you there that you should apply for a Visa, then you'll need to get a Visa. CBP ultimately decide if you can get in, so if they don't authorise the ESTA you don't have any choice but to get a Visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.