Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by coastalguy
Little birdies have told me the new top tier (out of four tiers) for the merged airline MAY in fact have a 120k threshold...
Fine by me. I often make 120k without trying
Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: AA ExePlat
Merger Approved by bankruptcy judge. Merger to commence on December 9th.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 5:56 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Am I missing another thread on this or have there really been no other posts since the announcement?
Old Nov 27, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jsieds
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
Am I missing another thread on this or have there really been no other posts since the announcement?
The silence is deafening but it does appear as if your post directly follows jsieds' post.

Perhaps people here wandered over to the AA forum?
Old Nov 27, 2013, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by jspira
The silence is deafening but it does appear as if your post directly follows jsieds' post.

Perhaps people here wandered over to the AA forum?
There's a lot more nonsense in the AA thread. Either I have low standards, or a lot of AA elites really do think they're going from the golden chariot in the sky to an airline flying solely CRJ200's. It's a little ridiculous.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by jsieds

BOOOO!!!!
Old Nov 27, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by coastalguy
Little birdies have told me the new top tier (out of four tiers) for the merged airline MAY in fact have a 120k threshold...
Seems suspiciously close to the 120 segment requirement for CP. I'd think 125k would be more likely if they increased it.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 6:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Either I have low standards, or a lot of AA elites really do think they're going from the golden chariot in the sky to an airline flying solely CRJ200's.
This is gonna be interesting.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by stealthnc

BOOOO!!!!
An unfortunate +1
Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
There's a lot more nonsense in the AA thread. Either I have low standards, or a lot of AA elites really do think they're going from the golden chariot in the sky to an airline flying solely CRJ200's. It's a little ridiculous.
Many AA fliers expect the merged airline to be USdbaAA. Not that there is anything wrong with that, US does some things well. I think their concern comes from seeing what happened with the UA/CO merger; they do not want AA/US to experience the same missteps as that merger.

Last edited by austin_res; Nov 27, 2013 at 10:44 pm
Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by austin_res
Many AA fliers expect the merged airline to be USdbaAA.
Some AAdvantage members even suspect HPdbaUSdbaAA!
Old Nov 27, 2013, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by flight62
I can tell you all with some certainty that after the merger, the inflight product that US Airways fliers have gotten use to will improve immensely. Be patient as it will take some time, but planning is already in place. This will NOT be a water downed version of US Airways and the LCC BS will be put out to pasture FOR GOOD!!!
I wouldn't place any bets with Doug Parker running the show, but I hope that the new American is more American than U.S. in more ways than one.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 11:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RDUpax
Some AAdvantage members even suspect HPdbaUSdbaAA!
Well, if one's fear is USdbaAA, then the HP part is pretty accurate. For those who have been around here since HP took over US, it was pretty much the HP way.

Who would have thought -- HP and Parker becoming the largest airline in the world.

Seriously, though, US was one-and-a-half-feet in the grave when HP took them over. At the time, the model was to create the largest low-cost carrier in the US by combining the substantial remains of US with the low-cost approach of HP.

That is not the model for this deal. Parker and Kirby are well on record that AA is a premium airline and will remain so.

That's not to say that decisions won't be made by spreadsheet, as that's what these guys do. But the variables are wildly different, which will provide different data than was in the US/HP data set. I'm confident that will result in different decisions and a substantially different airline from the current US. I truly believe these guys are not stupid.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by austin_res
Many AA fliers expect the merged airline to be USdbaAA. Not that there is anything wrong with that, US does some things well. I think their concern comes from seeing what happened with the UA/CO merger; they do not want AA/US to experience the same missteps as that merger.
It's the typical entitlement reaction. They seem to always bring up UA/CO as the one the new airline is going to "emulate", but always seem to leave out DL/NW as another option.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
As much as I would prefer AA and US not merge, I think Parker may have learned a few valuable lessons from Jeffrey's horribly executed merger. Perhaps he realizes that you can't treat the customer and the product like crap and hope to keep people coming back and paying to fly with you.. :fingers crossed:
I think what is really interesting is, the people over on the AA board, just HATE parker... Why?? He has done a great JOB at US, just becasue the pilots on the east side can't play well with others, doesn't mean Parker doesn't know what he is doing...

I know for me, it is a WIN/WIN...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.