Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:15 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I am wondering if I could get some help seeing if this itinerary "might" be valid and if on the edge how I would "market" it to the agent to see I can get it ticketed. I would normally use my BMI miles to book this as two one ways, but their call center is driving me nuts lately and is saying there is no NZ availability on any of the flights (and I know there is).

I need to get my wife a ticket to roughly map to my CPSTAR2, it would be something like:

SEA-SFO UA, SFO-AKL NZ (stopover)
AKL-WLG NZ (destination)

WLG-SYD NZ, SYD-BKK TG (stopover)
BKK-LAX TG, LAX-SEA UA

It would be 2 stopovers this way, some seem to suggest that might fly, plus the OZ-USA routing thru Asia seems to be ok now. I guess there is always the option of dropping the WLG segments, since those are pretty cheap to buy. Do folks think I have a shot at getting this ticketed?
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:55 am

Programs: US Silver, CO, DL
Do folks think I have a shot at getting this ticketed?

It never hurts to call and ask, but I seriously doubt that itinerary is going to "fly." 2 stopovers will probably nix the deal right away. Only way I can see making it work is if you stay in AKL or BKK less than 24 hrs, thus not making it an actual "stopover."
Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:59 pm

Would the following itinerary work (two stopovers):

DEL-ZRH on LX (stopover)
ZRH-LHR-SFO on LX (stopover in SFO)
SFO-PHX-ANC on UA/US

ANC-EWR on CO
EWR-DEL on CO
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Where is SIN supposed to be located - I would assume S Asia, but it's not on the US *A partner award chart:

https://www2.usairways.com/pv_obj_ca...wardtravel.pdf
And neither is Indonesia, which should be in the same location. I'm not sure how to interpret the lack of both countries in this list. Singapore is pretty tiny, but then again SQ is not exactly a minor member of *A, so why is it not noted? And it's pretty difficult to miss Indonesia or to place it anywhere other than S. (S.E.) Asia.

Has anyone ever used US to fly between SIN and any Indonesian destination? Is Silk Air allowed for the purpose of *A awards?

Last edited by honu; Nov 6, 2009 at 6:35 am
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:45 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by honu
Has anyone ever used US to fly between SIN and any Indonesian destination? Is Silk Air allowed for the purpose of *A awards?
Don't know, but since SQ has been pulling a lot of low-traffic routes within Asia and replacing them with SilkAir, I guess they might allow US to use the SQ code-share flights for rewards - one doesn't know unless they call!

You might want to call and update this thread. ^

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Nov 4, 2009 at 4:09 am Reason: clarity...
Old Nov 4, 2009, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
SilkAir is not a *A member.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 5:31 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by gleff
SilkAir is not a *A member.
They code-share with SQ - so as I said earlier, it depends on whether SQ allows *A members to use their code-shares nowadays...
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:18 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
They code-share with SQ - so as I said earlier, it depends on whether SQ allows *A members to use their code-shares nowadays...
u can not get award on silkair, period.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:30 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
do you guys think I can get this booked?

LAX-PEK(stopover)-PVG-AKL-PPT

return same with stopover in PEK
Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:03 am

Question

I'm new to US (thanks to the double miles purchase promo ) and have a few questions about award routing.

Would this route be possible?:

CPH-FCO
Stopover (US intl destination)
FCO-ZRH
ZRH-YUL
YUL-CUN
Destination
CUN-EWR
Stopover (CO Hub)
JFK-ZRH
ZRH-CPH

Would this route cause any problems, not being "the most direct routing"?

Is it allowed to make a stopover at a US intl destination when on a *award, or does it have to be on the *Carriers hub? It seems to depend on what agent you talk to, but what is the official policy?

Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks a lot
Old Nov 7, 2009, 3:11 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
similar to the above, new to US would this be possible?

SYD-LAX (UA) stopover
LAX-FRA(LH) destination / or LAX-LHR(NZ or any other *A carrier) destination
FRA/LHR-LAX/SFO(LH/NZ) connect
LAX/SFO-SYD (UA)
Old Nov 7, 2009, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by Crille
I'm new to US (thanks to the double miles purchase promo ) and have a few questions about award routing.
consensus seems to be one stopover only on *a award
Old Nov 7, 2009, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by gleff
consensus seems to be one stopover only on *a award
Ok, is that per direction or for the total trip?
Old Nov 7, 2009, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

total.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 3:27 am
HCA

Star Alliance award date change questions:

If my original award ticket outbond with SFO-IAD-FRA and later on I find a different date seats available with SFO-ORD-FRA, will US consider same route and make the change for me?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.