Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:04 am

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
I see, an open jaw on the departure and return rather than in Europe... interesting since I didn't realize the definition applied to that as well. My mistake.

I am actually in BOS, but my wife will go to her parents in PHL with the baby for the week. Long story short, I want to make sure she has family around while I'm gone.

I wonder if I can work a stopover into this and take an open jaw, so I can mix things up a bit.. I've been to PRG before and it doesn't warrant a whole week for me in winter....

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
It's an either/or situation.

You can either depart from/return to different cities, OR fly into one city and back out of another. You can't do both.

So, PHL-FRA-KRK / PRG-FRA-PHL

or BOS-FRA-PRG / PRG-FRA-PHL

Having said that, if you fly back into the US into PHL (or any airport for that matter), you must clear immigration and customs with any checked baggage there. You can simply walk out and not re-check, dropping the final leg. This is not consistent with the rules, but I've done it many times, for a variety of reasons, without consequence. (A CP agent even suggested it to me once.)

)
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Originally Posted by Alphaguy
I see, an open jaw on the departure and return rather than in Europe... interesting since I didn't realize the definition applied to that as well. My mistake.

I am actually in BOS, but my wife will go to her parents in PHL with the baby for the week. Long story short, I want to make sure she has family around while I'm gone.

I wonder if I can work a stopover into this and take an open jaw, so I can mix things up a bit.. I've been to PRG before and it doesn't warrant a whole week for me in winter....
They normally let you know an open jaw OR a stopover. Not both. Though, as always, it depends on your agent.

Also, it's only a stopover if the flight leaves 24 or more hours after the previous one arrives. Otherwise it's your basic layover. If all you're looking for is a day tour or a night out in a city, you can try to hammer it into a layover instead of stopover.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Alphaguy
That will be hard to do if you want the stop over in the Czech Republic, as (officially anyway) in order to do a stop-over, you have to fly into a Star Alliance carrier's hub on that carrier and there is no Star carrier with a hub in that country. Of course, this thread is devoted to that subject and the exceptions people have had made and/or ignorance of agents on this rule.

So, if you want to do it by the book, look at the Star Alliance carriers on the Star website, where the hubs are listed, and choose one of those cities. Of course, you then also have to find award availability on the hub carrier's flight into that city.

But all of this is what makes this game fun.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 12:05 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
That will be hard to do if you want the stop over in the Czech Republic, as (officially anyway) in order to do a stop-over, you have to fly into a Star Alliance carrier's hub on that carrier and there is no Star carrier with a hub in that country. Of course, this thread is devoted to that subject and the exceptions people have had made and/or ignorance of agents on this rule.

So, if you want to do it by the book, look at the Star Alliance carriers on the Star website, where the hubs are listed, and choose one of those cities. Of course, you then also have to find award availability on the hub carrier's flight into that city.

But all of this is what makes this game fun.
Comment below, but question as well....

Can anyone refresh my memory... Does a PLT pay the fees for ticketing an award $50 Europe... $30 to call in or do I have to spend like mad on my MC to get the fees waived prior to tickets.. i'm at 19K now!

I guess, I was thinking of a stopover in KRK or MUC, so I'd have to arrive on Lot or LH, if I recall the rules properly. Yep... Czech Airways is a Sky Team as I recall. I'll see what I can whip up and then post it here.... Lot might be tough, but then again... we all learn some great tips here!

Last edited by Alphaguy; Aug 22, 2009 at 4:34 pm
Old Aug 26, 2009, 2:49 am

Programs: DividendMiles Chairman
Could use some help on this one

Hi all,

I want to get an award ticket for this routing:

1. FRA-MIA, stop-over in MIA
2. FLL-PHX, stop-over in PHX
3. PHX-LAX-FRA

I guess this won't work, since MIA isn't a *A-hub, and I want to continue out of FLL, but not out of MIA.

Would this alternative scenario work, as an open-jaw ticket?

Leg 1: FRA-MIA, stop-over in MIA
Leg 2. FLL-PHX-LAX-FRA with a stop-over in PHX?

Any advise?
Thanks!

Last edited by marc_wue; Aug 26, 2009 at 2:55 am
Old Aug 26, 2009, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Originally Posted by marc_wue

Hi all,

I want to get an award ticket for this routing:

1. FRA-MIA, stop-over in MIA
2. FLL-PHX, stop-over in PHX
3. PHX-LAX-FRA

I guess this won't work, since MIA isn't a *A-hub, and I want to continue out of FLL, but not out of MIA.

Would this alternative scenario work, as an open-jaw ticket?

Leg 1: FRA-MIA, stop-over in MIA
Leg 2. FLL-PHX-LAX-FRA with a stop-over in PHX?

Any advise?
Thanks!
The official rule is you can only have one stopover OR an open jaw. Not a stopover in each direction AND and open jaw.

One of the easier rule to get around is the "stop over must be in a *A hub rule" ... so it depends on which agent you get. Even if they skirt this rule, arriving in MIA and departing from FLL may make it more complicated.

Your best bet is to do FRA-MIA and PHX-FRA as an open jaw, and get a cheap ticket on Southwest to get between FLL and PHX.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 4:52 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
I recently spent hours on several phone calls to book a *A award. What was clear was that each agent had their own interpretation of rules OR did not necessarily investigate into the detailed rules (perhaps out of sheer laziness.)

I managed to get a ticket with both a stopover (outbound) and then an open jaw as well. Exactly what I wanted...!
Old Aug 27, 2009, 5:06 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
The "stop over must be in a *A hub" clause is one of the easier ones to get around.

I know someone who booked an "Asia via Europe" award with UA to CDG, stopover in CDG, and TG to BKK. CDG is most definitely not a *A hub.
CDG meets the "US Airways international destination" criteria, so it doesn't have to be a hub.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Ok, please validate my understanding and proposed itinerary

* One stopover in each direction permitted
* Stopover must be in a *A hub
* Must arrive at that hub on the carrier operating the hub

(I realize some people skirt at least the second and third)

For US to Asia may travel either via Atlantic or Pacific

Any limit to # of segments?

What I have in mind is:

IAD-JFK (UX Y)
JFK-ZRH (LX F)
ZRH-IST (TK C)

<stopover>

IST-BKK (TK F)
-forced overnight-
BKK-DPS (TG C, destination)

DPS-BKK (TG C)

<stopover>

BKK-LHR (TG F)
LHR-FRA (LH C)
-forced overnight-
FRA-IAD (LH F)

So IAD-DPS via the Atlantic both directions with stopovers in IST (outbound) and BKK (return).

I'm well within MPM for an Atlantic routing (and within MPM on the outbound and only 6 miles over MPM on the return if someone got confused and applied MPM for a Pacific routing to the itinerary, in which case I could swap LHR for MUC and still be fine).

9 segments is fine, yes?

So all in all, this should work, yes? (Award inventory is available on all flights...)
Old Sep 11, 2009, 5:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
There are more experience people who can comment on this, but there is potential for the following:

1) People have reported problems with getting two stopovers, check back a page or two and you will see some comments about 2009 changes - though not necessarily documented well by US.

2) BKK-LHR-FRA may be wacked because it does not follow the most direct routing rules. You want may have to go BKK-MUC as you suggested.

3) You are quite aware that his totally dependent on who answers the phone on the other end. I hope you have the CP line number and get someone experienced.

Cheers.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Is it US or AC that does not have MPM limits?
Old Sep 11, 2009, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
AC will use either a published routing (which may be over MPM) or MPM+5% I believe.

I haven't heard of US using MPM, but I checked my MPM just in case..

What's up with this one vs two stopovers thing?

And what does most direct routing mean in the context of US-Asia? Would connecting BKK-LHR-FRA really not be permitted? (Though as I note, MUC would work just fine, only a slightly less ideal schedule)
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:51 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
Originally Posted by gleff
What's up with this one vs two stopovers thing?
See the last pages of this thread, there are conflicting statements on the us site what is/isn't allowed. It's very likely that you'll have to argue quite some to get 2 stopovers.

Originally Posted by gleff
And what does most direct routing mean in the context of US-Asia? Would connecting BKK-LHR-FRA really not be permitted? (Though as I note, MUC would work just fine, only a slightly less ideal schedule)
I think LHR-FRA should be fine, US is rather relaxed when it comes to routing.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:30 am

Your itinerary is likely ok - but you'll need a friendly and helpful agent.

You may get some push back on the two stopovers. Technically you are only allowed one.

But, as others have said, your experience varies widely depending on who you talk to at US.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 1:06 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Is it US or AC that does not have MPM limits?
I've been wondering about this for a very long time, so I thought I'd finally ask...

Where are MPM published?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.