Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2009, 4:03 pm

Programs: US,PC
Hi

Never tried going out yet out of US.Just thought of making use of some miles in my Dividend account and buying miles in ongoing promotion.I read this thread and I guess came to conclusion that you can have only one stop over at international destination while booking award ticket.So I have couple of questions?

I tried to just book(to see availability) from lnk,oma(i guess both of these are served by their partner UA now).I am repeatedly getting this error message when I tried to book lnk-del or oma-del (round trip) for economy.Dates are dec 25 return jan20(Flexible dates)

"We're sorry
We're unable to find flights to match the cities and dates you entered. Please change your dates or cities and try again.
Reference code: 0PRHHQ454XK3IHILCUB4HB45 (1.2.10600200.10600200)
Occurred: 11/9/2009 3:47:36 PM"

Is it because US airways doesn't serve India directly?
Do I need to give call to book ?
I am assuming I need 80000 miles total?
Can I have stopover at London once?

Tentative itinerary construction: lnk-lhr(stopover)-del(destination)
del-lnk

Please guide me if I am doing something wrong and if stopping at London is not allowed.

As I mentioned I don't have an international travel experience ex-US so any help constructing this itinerary would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Nov 9, 2009, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by dracs
Hi

Never tried going out yet out of US.Just thought of making use of some miles in my Dividend account and buying miles in ongoing promotion.I read this thread and I guess came to conclusion that you can have only one stop over at international destination while booking award ticket.So I have couple of questions?

I tried to just book(to see availability) from lnk,oma(i guess both of these are served by their partner UA now).I am repeatedly getting this error message when I tried to book lnk-del or oma-del (round trip) for economy.Dates are dec 25 return jan20(Flexible dates)

"We're sorry
We're unable to find flights to match the cities and dates you entered. Please change your dates or cities and try again.
Reference code: 0PRHHQ454XK3IHILCUB4HB45 (1.2.10600200.10600200)
Occurred: 11/9/2009 3:47:36 PM"

Is it because US airways doesn't serve India directly?
Do I need to give call to book ?
I am assuming I need 80000 miles total?
Can I have stopover at London once?

Tentative itinerary construction: lnk-lhr(stopover)-del(destination)
del-lnk

Please guide me if I am doing something wrong and if stopping at London is not allowed.

As I mentioned I don't have an international travel experience ex-US so any help constructing this itinerary would be appreciated.

Thanks
You will have to call. Use the ANA tool to search for *A partner availability. I recommend routing through ZRH on LX if you're booking a C class award. If you're booking a Y award, depending on how many miles you need, it may or may not make sense to buy them.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 6:42 pm

Programs: US Silver, CO, DL
If my original award ticket outbond with SFO-IAD-FRA and later on I find a different date seats available with SFO-ORD-FRA, will US consider same route and make the change for me?

From usairways.com

Before travel commencement, changes to the point of origin, destination, airline carrier or stopover are permitted but are subject to a service fee, provided the new itinerary is allowed with the original award redeemed.

The change fee is $150 ($250 for transatlantic/transpacific itineraries).
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:33 am
HCA

Originally Posted by gtownguy
If my original award ticket outbond with SFO-IAD-FRA and later on I find a different date seats available with SFO-ORD-FRA, will US consider same route and make the change for me?

From usairways.com

Before travel commencement, changes to the point of origin, destination, airline carrier or stopover are permitted but are subject to a service fee, provided the new itinerary is allowed with the original award redeemed.

The change fee is $150 ($250 for transatlantic/transpacific itineraries).
Even if IAD/ORD are just connection?
Origin: SFO, same
Destination: FRA, same
Airline carrier: United, same

Do I still have to pay $250 fee to change (assume the award seats I want to change are available)? Thanks.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:47 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by HCA
Even if IAD/ORD are just connection?
Origin: SFO, same
Destination: FRA, same
Airline carrier: United, same

Do I still have to pay $250 fee to change (assume the award seats I want to change are available)? Thanks.
I was told no changes after departure has commenced.

Prior to that allowed. (and chargeable, unless Chairman's)
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by HCA
Even if IAD/ORD are just connection?....Do I still have to pay $250 fee to change....
Yes. From website, (emphasis mine) for both US and partner awards

For travel on US Airways only, changes must be requested by contacting Reservations and are subject to award seat availability. Changes to the point of origin, destination, stopover, class of service and award are permitted, provided the new itinerary is still within the valid travel areas allowed by the original award. A service fee will be charged for any such changes. A fee applies to changes to flight times and/or dates. This includes changes to connecting points.

For travel with our airline partners, no changes of any kind are permitted once travel has commenced. Before travel commencement, changes to the point of origin, destination, airline carrier or stopover are permitted but are subject to a service fee, provided the new itinerary is allowed with the original award redeemed. A fee applies to change flight times and/or dates before travel begins. Changes must be requested by contacting Reservations and are subject to award seat availability. Paper tickets may require re-issuance at an authorized US Airways ticketing facility.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
Hi!
I am planning a trip from HKG (N Asia on US award chart) to GVA and wonder if I fly and stop via BKK (SE Asia) I will be charged for SE Asia - Europe instead of N Asia Europe?
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:09 am
HCA

Thanks for clarification.
It seems even change to another date DOES cost.
US Airways is really unfriendly in this part.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:23 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Searching For *A Award Availability

I'm new around here, and after trying to figure out how to browse using the ANA tool, as some threads have suggested, either something is new on their site that makes it impossible to find, or I am mentally challenged that's the reason I can't find it.

I did register with ANA to try and access it, but alas, I'm still confused. Thanks.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
I'm new around here, and after trying to figure out how to browse using the ANA tool, as some threads have suggested, either something is new on their site that makes it impossible to find, or I am mentally challenged that's the reason I can't find it.

I did register with ANA to try and access it, but alas, I'm still confused. Thanks.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, FlyIgglesFly.

This tool is hard to find on the ANA site. Here is the link you're looking for: https://aswbe-i.ana.co.jp/p_per/sky_...SearchLogin.do
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:38 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Much obliged, AZ. You'd like to think they'd make this easier...
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I'm kinda glad they don't. With all the FTers using it who never step foot on an ANA aircraft, if the volume were to get too out of control they may come up with a way to restrict it.

Though I've also been away from my computers when I wanted to use it and it took me a while to dig through the site to get to it.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:43 pm

If everything is too easy, there won't be any good deals left for the people who put in the effort!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 9:46 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Allowable routing for N America to N Asia award?

I was hoping to book 2 tickets for the following routing:

SFO-JFK UA F
JFK-IST TK F
<STOPOVER>
IST-HKG TK F
<DESTINATION>
HKG-ZRH LX F
ZRH-JFK LX F
JFK-SFO UA F

Could I book this for 120,000 / person as a North America --> North Asia F award?

I'm guessing that the answer is no with the SFO-JFK legs (exceeds MPM?) , but yes if I dropped those legs.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:39 pm

Programs: LH M&M - US AIR - BMI - HYATT - SPG - SIXT - PP
Please delete!

Last edited by asmallworld; Nov 12, 2009 at 1:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.