Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2009, 8:45 pm

Programs: US, LH, HH
Well feel free to give it a try and call (and tell us the result), nothing is set in stone with US. That said, I believe you will be charged the highest region you connect in. I'm not even sure if they really put DME into North Asia and not Europe. You're also backtracking, so quite a few reason for this not to succeed in the end.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 9:42 pm

Programs: LH M&M - US AIR - BMI - HYATT - SPG - SIXT - PP
Please delete!

Last edited by asmallworld; Nov 12, 2009 at 1:46 am
Old Nov 12, 2009, 2:03 am

Programs: LH M&M - US AIR - BMI - HYATT - SPG - SIXT - PP
Originally Posted by freakazoid
Well feel free to give it a try and call (and tell us the result), nothing is set in stone with US. That said, I believe you will be charged the highest region you connect in. I'm not even sure if they really put DME into North Asia and not Europe. You're also backtracking, so quite a few reason for this not to succeed in the end.
Does unfortunately not work!
Old Nov 12, 2009, 6:01 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
I was hoping to book 2 tickets for the following routing:

SFO-JFK UA F
JFK-IST TK F
<STOPOVER>
IST-HKG TK F
<DESTINATION>
HKG-ZRH LX F
ZRH-JFK LX F
JFK-SFO UA F

Could I book this for 120,000 / person as a North America --> North Asia F award?

I'm guessing that the answer is no with the SFO-JFK legs (exceeds MPM?) , but yes if I dropped those legs.
FWIW, I booked this without the SFO-JFK legs, but only because there was no availability (except coach -- not happening) for the days I wanted. No biggie to tack on an upgradeable $300 transcon; one less flight towards status in 2010.

Still not sure if I could have included these segments. Any thoughts?
Old Nov 16, 2009, 5:20 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I just put on hold the following itinerary (2 seats), I had checked it all on the ANA Tool but was still in awe that the agent was able to book it in about five minutes. When she went to price it she thought the taxes and fees looked high, she put me on hold for five more minutes then came back and said the rate desk had "fixed" it, taxes and fees were $111.06 + $50 reservation fee per passenger.

Itinerary:

MCI-ORD UA (Y)
ORD-FRA LH (F)
FRA-DBV OU (C) (That's Dubrovnik, Croatia on Croatia Airlines)
<destination>
DBV-FRA OU (C)
<stopover>
FRA-IAH LH (F)
IAH-MCI CO (F)

The call took a total of fifteen minutes (the last few minutes she wanted to know how I knew there was availability plus I got her full name/employee number for an Above & Beyond certificate) there was no debate about the routing being legal for one minute, though this is hardly anything fancy.

Edited to add: I did ultimately ticket this and am set for a great trip next summer! When I called back to ticket the agent first said the taxes and fees would be $201.06 per person, I said no, they should be $111.06 + $50 with no phone fee since they can't be booked online and she quickly agreed with that, but it still took almost as long to ticket it as it did to book the flights in the first place.

Last edited by Beckles; Nov 19, 2009 at 10:04 pm
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
Originally Posted by Beckles
I just put on hold the following itinerary (2 seats), I had checked it all on the ANA Tool but was still in awe that the agent was able to book it in about five minutes. When she went to price it she thought the taxes and fees looked high, she put me on hold for five more minutes then came back and said the rate desk had "fixed" it, taxes and fees were $111.06 + $50 reservation fee per passenger.

Itinerary:

MCI-ORD UA (Y)
ORD-FRA LH (F)
FRA-DBV OU (C) (That's Dubrovnik, Croatia on Croatia Airlines)
<destination>
DBV-FRA OU (C)
<stopover>
FRA-IAH LH (F)
IAH-MCI CO (F)

The call took a total of fifteen minutes (the last few minutes she wanted to know how I knew there was availability plus I got her full name/employee number for an Above & Beyond certificate) there was no debate about the routing being legal for one minute, though this is hardly anything fancy.
Call you call hotline 24h??
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by thyeri
Call you call hotline 24h??
Hotline?

You can call to make a reservation 24 hours a day.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:21 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by uva185
Hotline?

You can call to make a reservation 24 hours a day.
Yes. But I've found you are more likely to get someone experienced with complex *A awards and aware of people who like to build the trip segment by segment if you call M-F during the day and get a Winston-Salem person.

Of course I say this as my last two awards were booked on a Saturday evening and late Sunday night and with one hiccup, I had no problems either. But both times I got a person in Winston-Salem.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Yes. But I've found you are more likely to get someone experienced with complex *A awards and aware of people who like to build the trip segment by segment if you call M-F during the day and get a Winston-Salem person.

Of course I say this as my last two awards were booked on a Saturday evening and late Sunday night and with one hiccup, I had no problems either. But both times I got a person in Winston-Salem.
Thanks for your answer.
What is Winston-Salem?
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:44 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by thyeri
Thanks for your answer.
What is Winston-Salem?
Winston-Salem, North Carolina. US Airways has a call center located there.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:35 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Was wanting a little more info regarding the 1/2 stopovers rule. Now recently it seems most people have been saying only 1 stopover is allowed. Whereas originally people were saying two. US' terms and conditions still state that 1 stopover is allowed in each direction so technically they should offer 2 stopovers per return trip. I know that the call centre staff vary significantly and that many will say just 1 stopover is allowed but is it likely I could quote their own rules to them and get 2 stopovers or keep ringing back until an agent just allows me 2 stopovers without asking questions??

Also would like to know the rules regarding making this change: If booked in F and one segment was booked in C as no F was available, it is free to change that flight to F if availability pops up in the future. What I want to know is if it is still possible to make this kind of a change after travel has begun (I know major changes which require a fee cannot be done)?

Thanks ^
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:52 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pogonation
Was wanting a little more info regarding the 1/2 stopovers rule. Now recently it seems most people have been saying only 1 stopover is allowed. Whereas originally people were saying two. US' terms and conditions still state that 1 stopover is allowed in each direction so technically they should offer 2 stopovers per return trip. I know that the call centre staff vary significantly and that many will say just 1 stopover is allowed but is it likely I could quote their own rules to them and get 2 stopovers or keep ringing back until an agent just allows me 2 stopovers without asking questions??
I would suggest keep trying if you really want two stopovers. The online Member Guide does have conflicting information. Under "Partner Awards" it says "One en route stopover per itinerary is permitted for select international travel awards." Under "Stopovers" it says "One en route stopover is permitted at a US Airways hub city, a US Airways international destination or ticketed partner's hub city per direction. US Airways hub/gateway cities include Phoenix, Las Vegas, Philadelphia, Charlotte, Ft. Lauderdale and Pittsburgh. Please consult with Reservations for partner hub cities."

So clearly one or the other is wrong. The problem one may have with asking the agents to read the second one is depending on the routing you're going for, the very next rule could be a problem depending on your desired routing, it says about stopovers "Stopovers are allowed only for the most direct route of travel."
Originally Posted by pogonation
Also would like to know the rules regarding making this change: If booked in F and one segment was booked in C as no F was available, it is free to change that flight to F if availability pops up in the future. What I want to know is if it is still possible to make this kind of a change after travel has begun (I know major changes which require a fee cannot be done)?
My understanding is you're stuck in the class of service you originally ticket unless you pay the $150/$250 change fee.

I seem to recall in the past one could waitlist for higher classes of service on award tickets, but it seems many/most/all airlines have eliminiated this option, though not all charge to change the ticket if the higher class later becomes available.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:03 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Hopefully quick question: What's the deal with one-way *A awards? Anyone do that with Dividend program? I know a lot of airlines have them for their own metal, but was wondering if there were any that we could use, and how.

Of course, I'm sure this has already been discussed in the past, but It's never been an issue except I'm burning out my AA account on a 1-way award (no longer live in hub anyway).

Thoughts?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Hopefully quick question: What's the deal with one-way *A awards? Anyone do that with Dividend program? I know a lot of airlines have them for their own metal, but was wondering if there were any that we could use, and how.

Of course, I'm sure this has already been discussed in the past, but It's never been an issue except I'm burning out my AA account on a 1-way award (no longer live in hub anyway).

Thoughts?
US doesn't offer one way awards (well, you can book one, but you'll pay the round-trip mileage).
Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:19 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
True, but I was wondering if I could use DM for award travel, one-way, on say BMI or Luft. I assuming the answer is no, but I'd like to hold out a shred of hope that I could.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.