Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2009, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
I've been wondering about this for a very long time, so I thought I'd finally ask...

Where are MPM published?
I don't think they are published, you will have to call UA.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
The KVS Tool Diamond level will pull MPMs
Old Sep 11, 2009, 5:21 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Just as a data point, I've never gotten any of my Intl US awards to have 2 stopovers. I didnt think it was possible so I never have really tried the repeated call back approach. I have asked several times with the first agent I've spoken with, but no luck, they were all sticklers (but for several years I was able to convince them that Singapore and China were in the same zone and enjoyed 30K business class awards on SQ between SIN and PEK). Good to know these other data points, I might start to try a bit harder for an open jaw and a stopover or 2 stopovers.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:03 am

Programs: Onepass Silver, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Worldperks, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by gleff
Ok, please validate my understanding and proposed itinerary

* One stopover in each direction permitted
* Stopover must be in a *A hub
* Must arrive at that hub on the carrier operating the hub

(I realize some people skirt at least the second and third)

For US to Asia may travel either via Atlantic or Pacific

Any limit to # of segments?

What I have in mind is:

IAD-JFK (UX Y)
JFK-ZRH (LX F)
ZRH-IST (TK C)

<stopover>

IST-BKK (TK F)
-forced overnight-
BKK-DPS (TG C, destination)

DPS-BKK (TG C)

<stopover>

BKK-LHR (TG F)
LHR-FRA (LH C)
-forced overnight-
FRA-IAD (LH F)

So IAD-DPS via the Atlantic both directions with stopovers in IST (outbound) and BKK (return).

I'm well within MPM for an Atlantic routing (and within MPM on the outbound and only 6 miles over MPM on the return if someone got confused and applied MPM for a Pacific routing to the itinerary, in which case I could swap LHR for MUC and still be fine).

9 segments is fine, yes?

So all in all, this should work, yes? (Award inventory is available on all flights...)
With regard to the number of segments...I was recently informed that you are limited to 4 segments each way.

I was trying to book a return that had

MRU-JNB
JNB-IST
IST-MUC
MUC-FRA
FRA-IAH

I was told this was not allowed due to 5 segments. I found another routing that utilized the new IST-YYZ routing, but got me in to IAH much later.

The agent tried ticketing the 5 segement return for about 30 minutes. Even though, the system was showing the flights as available, the ticketing department would not price the ticket out due to too many segements.

good luck and keep us posted with your results.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Anyone else ever heard of 8 segments maximum per award, 4 in each direction, even with a stopover?
Old Sep 12, 2009, 12:07 pm

Programs: US CP, Hyatt Diamond
I just got off the phone with US having booked 2 F awards to SE Asia for my honeymoon next summer. After reading the experiences on here I was fearful that the trip as I had planned it (using ANA tool) would be deemed invalid. Thankfully I didn't have any problems out all getting it booked.

The trip is as follows:

JFK-FRA (LH F)
FRA-SIN (LH F)

<stopover>

SIN-BKK (SQ C)
BKK-DPS (TG C)

<destination>

DPS-BKK (TG C)
BKK-LHR (TG F)
LHR-MUC (LH C)
MUC-BOS (LH F)
BOS-LGA (US F)

Hopefully this will help some others figure out what can be done.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by gleff
Anyone else ever heard of 8 segments maximum per award, 4 in each direction, even with a stopover?
My last award at one point had 9 segments. I was told the limit was 10 segments. Maybe they revised their policy.

DCA-ORD
ORD-LAX
LAX-SIN
(STOP)
SIN-IST
IST-JNB
(DEST)
JNB-SIN
SIN-LAX
LAX-ORD
ORD-DCA
Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by iztok
Well, since Thailand is in S Asia it is S Asia rate. If we were only go to PEK then it would be N Asia. In any case, CP angel was awesome!
Where is SIN supposed to be located - I would assume S Asia, but it's not on the US *A partner award chart:

https://www2.usairways.com/pv_obj_ca...wardtravel.pdf
Old Sep 26, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Where is SIN supposed to be located - I would assume S Asia, but it's not on the US *A partner award chart:

https://www2.usairways.com/pv_obj_ca...wardtravel.pdf
Of course it's S Asia. I've wondered why it isn't listed before but I don't think there's any argument for SIN being North Asia at all. Directly south of Malaysia and Thailand which of course are listed for South & Central Asia.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, AX Cent so...Delta Plat, SPG Gold, etc..
Dunno if this helps - been able to accomplish 2 stopovers but not with an open jaw yvr-sha (stopover) sha-icn-mnl (stopover) mnl-icn-yvr
Old Sep 26, 2009, 4:20 pm

Programs: US, LH, HH
Originally Posted by joshman
Dunno if this helps - been able to accomplish 2 stopovers but not with an open jaw yvr-sha (stopover) sha-icn-mnl (stopover) mnl-icn-yvr
Unless i'm missing something it's just 1 stopover (sha) and mnl is destination?
Old Sep 26, 2009, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by freakazoid
Unless i'm missing something it's just 1 stopover (sha) and mnl is destination?
That's how I interpret it. Outbound stopover in SHA, no inbound stopover, unless he forgot to indicate a stopover in ICN on the way home.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 4:44 pm

sorry I am confusing flights.

With ANA using their website to book (not an agent) I have been able to get 2 stopovers even though they say you're not allowed to do it. I can also create some good open jaws with the ANA site that have come in handy.

However with US now that I review my booking I have only accomplished 1 stopover. The layover in ICN was long - but not 'that' long.

Sorry!
Old Sep 26, 2009, 8:13 pm

sorry I am confusing flights.

With ANA using their website to book (not an agent) I have been able to get 2 stopovers even though they say you're not allowed to do it. I can also create some good open jaws with the ANA site that have come in handy.

However with US now that I review my booking I have only accomplished 1 stopover. The layover in ICN was long - but not 'that' long.

Sorry!
I'm now confused by your statement. If you book using the ANA site, you're using ANA miles and ANA rules, not US rules.

Two stopovers would mean a stopover exceeding 24 hours heading outbound, a stop in your destination exceeding 24 hours, then departing your destination with another stopover on your inbound exceeding 24 hours.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 8:19 pm

I have ANA miles due to MR. When I'm booking a multi city I (like you) will check the various *A to see what gives me the best value and allows me to accomplish the needed journey.

This thread is about US but it's also titled S.A. Stopovers, thought the ANA info would be useful as an additional resource.

I do understand what a stopover is, as compared to a layover. I'll be clearer in my posts going forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.