Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2009, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by iztok
Mine was $45k
What did you book???
Old Jun 16, 2009, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by fly2nrt
What did you book???
FC mostly

CLT-JFK US F
JFK-ICN OZ F
ICN-PEK CA C
PEK-BKK TG F
BKK-HKT TG C
HKT-BKK TG C
BKK-FRA TG F
FRA-MUC LH C
MUC-CLT LH F

for me and my wife.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 5:46 pm

*A Award tickets originating outside North America

Are there any issues that I should be aware of if wanting to use Dividend Miles to book a *A award ticket that does not originate in North America ?

I am thinking something along the line of S. Asia to Europe via N. America. With a stopover in the USA in both directions ?

Thanks much.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by thebobmc
Are there any issues that I should be aware of if wanting to use Dividend Miles to book a *A award ticket that does not originate in North America ?

I am thinking something along the line of S. Asia to Europe via N. America. With a stopover in the USA in both directions ?

Thanks much.
Normally I assume S Asia to EU doesn't fly through US. So S. Asia to EU direct no issues I assume. However over US the higher mileage would apply I assume.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by johnep1
Be ready, willing, and able to ticket as soon as you find an agent willing to do something like this.
Third time was the charm. I booked 3 in business class and also one in economy on slightly different dates.

Sweet.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by puchalskir
Third time was the charm. I booked 3 in business class and also one in economy on slightly different dates.

Sweet.
So what are your routings and airlines now?
Old Jun 16, 2009, 8:32 pm

FC mostly

CLT-JFK US F

for me and my wife.
So, how many miles did they charge for each ticket?
Old Jun 16, 2009, 8:35 pm

So, how many miles did they charge for each ticket?
This was technically S Asia award so it was 160k per tix for total of 320k miles. Plus $325 in taxes and fees for both. But since we go westward all the way it is practically around the world
Old Jun 16, 2009, 8:40 pm

This was technically S Asia award so it was 160k per tix for total of 320k miles. Plus $325 in taxes and fees for both. But since we go westward all the way it is practically around the world
Thanks. I might try to do something similar and wondered if they would charge the N Asia or the S Asia rate.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 8:55 pm

Thanks. I might try to do something similar and wondered if they would charge the N Asia or the S Asia rate.
Well, since Thailand is in S Asia it is S Asia rate. If we were only go to PEK then it would be N Asia. In any case, CP angel was awesome!
Old Jun 17, 2009, 7:07 am

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
So what are your routings and airlines now?
All on LH except for the DEL-IST-CAI which is on TK. Same routing as mentioned.

The economy seat we booked was a mix of UA/LH/TK.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: US-CP; UA-PE; CO-PE; HH;Diamond
*A Stop Overs....

I booked a *A award ticket via US Airways for Asia for travel in March of 2008.

We flew from PDX to LAX (United Metal) and was given about a 32 hour stop over -

Then LAX to BKK (Thai Airlines Metal- AMAZING!)

Then flew from Honk Kong to Tokyo (ANA Metal- very nice as well) had about a 23 hour lay over in Tokyo then Tokyo to LAX (ANA Metal)

It took a very long time and several calls to USAirways to get it all confirmed. I have found the level of courtesey and just trying to help you is so varied- I often have to call 2 or 3 times. i dont know if it is a training issue, a customer service issue or what- but I would say def. try again and jsut be nice as I am sure being a cust. service rep for USAirways is not a fun job. Also- I was a Chairman Pref. when I booked the ticket so not sure if that meant anything. Hope it helps
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

In my experience they charge you the mileage amount for the destination even if you have a stopover in or pass through a higher award zone.

I flew DCA-ORD-LAX-SIN-IST-JNB-FRA-ORD-DCA and was charged 150k (Africa Rate) even though I had a stopover in S. Asia (160k)
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:18 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I just spent 90 minutes on the phone with a very helpful US agent trying to get an award ticketed. She checked and re-checked with several departments and was told I can only have one stopover period. (Actually one department said two was okay and the other said only one) I had showed her the 2 stopover rule on the website and she was willing to give me the 2nd stopover but her computer was not willing to price my itinerary. Based on my itinerary below do you have any idea what is preventing the computer from pricing the itinerary out? Routing via BKK? Return to DCA (co-terminal of IAD)?

My Itinerary
IAD-MUC LH
(Stop)
MUC-BKK TG
BKK-HKG TG
(Destination)
HKG-IST TK
IST-ZRH TK (Also tried a LX flight)
(Stop)
ZRH-ORD LX
ORD-DCA UA

Thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by uva185
I just spent 90 minutes on the phone with a very helpful US agent trying to get an award ticketed. She checked and re-checked with several departments and was told I can only have one stopover period. (Actually one department said two was okay and the other said only one) I had showed her the 2 stopover rule on the website and she was willing to give me the 2nd stopover but her computer was not willing to price my itinerary. Based on my itinerary below do you have any idea what is preventing the computer from pricing the itinerary out? Routing via BKK? Return to DCA (co-terminal of IAD)?

My Itinerary
IAD-MUC LH
(Stop)
MUC-BKK TG
BKK-HKG TG
(Destination)
HKG-IST TK
IST-ZRH TK (Also tried a LX flight)
(Stop)
ZRH-ORD LX
ORD-DCA UA

Thanks!
Based on my info stopover is only permitted if you fly in on the carrier of that particular hub. So IST-ZRH TK is definitely out If you can get LX (and it is LX metal!) then try another agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.