Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2008, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by MetroAir
It sounds like the fare I am using in a couple of weeks - but posting to SQ and the UA sector in Z only earns base (100%) miles.

One of the reasons I am considering trying to pay up to F on the UA sector...
I'm curious how you would pay up to F on the UA sector on a fare like this. Can you explain how you would do it and the cost involved?

Charles
Old Jul 5, 2008, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LAX UA 1K
I'm curious how you would pay up to F on the UA sector on a fare like this. Can you explain how you would do it and the cost involved?

Charles
If the stars align, you will be offered the chance to buy up. Might happen at at checkin (I get it about half the time when I use OLCI) or at the gate. If you checkin with another airline (LH for a FLR-MUC on UA xfering to UA for MUC-ORD for example) you won't be offered by LH, but you can check with UA a MUC to see if they have an offer.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 5:47 pm
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
I thought at-gate or OLCI "buy ups" didn't earn fare bonus?
Old Dec 29, 2008, 8:49 am

Upgrade Z Class

I did a quick search but couldn't find anything so thought it would be easier to tap into the vast FT knowledge vault. Can you upgrade "Z" class with an SWU?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 29, 2008 at 10:10 am Reason: merged into existing thread
Old Dec 29, 2008, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Time2Travel
I did a quick search but couldn't find anything so thought it would be easier to tap into the vast FT knowledge vault. Can you upgrade "Z" class with an SWU?
Negatron.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, SPG VIP
Originally Posted by Time2Travel
Only on LH metal not on UA.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 9:25 am

Thanks all, I thought I read somewhere that 1K or GS or something like that could upgrade "Z" class but I guess no upgrade for me!
Old Dec 29, 2008, 9:51 am

If they are offering UFC (Upgrades for cash) at the gate or easy check in you are eligible on a Z fare (or even an award ticket).
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:10 am

Or, find an agent that does not quite know the rules/seems sweet-talk-able.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 4 million miler; Hilton goldMarriott platinum elite
Originally Posted by 777Brian
As others have stated a Z to NF upgrade is unlikely as the upgrade rules require a C or D fare. These rules makes sense for UA as it protects the integrity of F and when you consider an international Z fare could be ~$4K compared with ~$10K for a C fare. This is not to say I have not been lucky enough to end up in F on a Z fare, its very rare and has only happened on full flights on domestic transcons. I think the number one rule of flying applies, always be polite to the gate agents and keep good upgrade karma in mind, they might need a C seat and be whiling to upgrade someone quickly to get the flight out on time. As others have stated Easy Check-in may offer you a buy up offer. You haven't said what route your flying that will also have a significant impact. If you have to fly in F the best option is to re-fare.
I disagree with idea that Z fares are so cheap that they should not be upgradeable, even by elites, to protect the integrity of the first class product. I am flying DCA-PEK-IAD next week on a Z fare priced at $13,980.44, which is hardly cheap and only a 25% discount to the C class fare. A far cry from the $4K Z fare vs. $10K C fare that was cited. Not only can I not upgrade I am stuck in the middle seat.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 1:28 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ugs/dca/iad
I disagree with idea that Z fares are so cheap that they should not be upgradeable, even by elites, to protect the integrity of the first class product. I am flying DCA-PEK-IAD next week on a Z fare priced at $13,980.44, which is hardly cheap and only a 25% discount to the C class fare. A far cry from the $4K Z fare vs. $10K C fare that was cited. Not only can I not upgrade I am stuck in the middle seat.
is C sold out? if yes, you might get upgraded to F..if C isn't sold out, pick a different seat and remember, any C seat is better than any Y seat.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I am flying DCA-PEK-IAD next week on a Z fare priced at $13,980.44
When most people talk of Z fares, they mean the discount fares (like ZHOL, which is $3,849 for your route). If you're paying $14K for a Z fare, you're getting ripped off since the D fare is less than $9K!
Old Dec 30, 2008, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by UCBeau
is C sold out? if yes, you might get upgraded to F..if C isn't sold out, pick a different seat and remember, any C seat is better than any Y seat.
C is not sold out but all of the aisle seats were assigned on UA 851 (ORD-PEK) when I purchased my ticket a week ago.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
When most people talk of Z fares, they mean the discount fares (like ZHOL, which is $3,849 for your route). If you're paying $14K for a Z fare, you're getting ripped off since the D fare is less than $9K!
Z is typcially deeply discounted business. Many of my more than 2 million BITS miles have been on flights to China. I am certain that UA in the past couple of years has never had a business class seat from the east coast of the US at a price anywhere near $3,849. Even D fares are rarely available on the 897/898 nonstop between Dulles and Beijing.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Z is typcially deeply discounted business.
Yes, I know. But the fare you're quoting is not deeply discounted.

I am certain that UA in the past couple of years has never had a business class seat from the east coast of the US at a price anywhere near $3,849.
I don't know what the restrictions are, but the fare is filed.

Even D fares are rarely available on the 897/898 nonstop between Dulles and Beijing.
I have never see a case anywhere where there was Z fare availability but not D fare availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.