Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is on the First Polaris International Flight SFO-HKG on March 25?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is on the First Polaris International Flight SFO-HKG on March 25?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by zrs70

I remember my first flight in a 777 in the 1990's. I was in C, and the cabin felt like a huge living room. There was a sense of roominess and ample space that I really liked. No, the seats weren't lie flat. We didn't have AVOD. It was, by today's standards, old school.

The 777-300 cabin is very private, and almost too private. The aisle is very, very narrow. You have to squeeze into the seating space. From the center section of row nine, there was no seeing out the window at all because of the privacy. No sense of when landing would be.
Ditto! Reflect my thoughts exactly!^
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I remember being on a new 777 from CDG to SFO in F before the suites were installed. They had the old style F lounge chairs. That was the most amount of space I've ever had on any airline.

Seriously. Most important for me going forward was the chance to sit alone in C and with this product UA offers that. My feeling is they could have done better but this is what we have for the next dozen years. Our relationship is deep and UA is my airline of choice. That will not stop me from enjoying new interesting rides on other carriers when possible.

I thought the forward galley on the new 777-300ER was actually smaller more cramp than on the legacy 777s. Much smaller. That made the FAs work even more taxing.

Originally Posted by spin88
And it is not just the seat being smaller/tighter While the food was the same (+soup), the wines and personal service was better.

I note that even those who like the seat, still are dogging on the food/drink. And I would also add that not to have expresso on a plane at this point is downright noncompetitive. One of the few things CO did right was have expresso, it was an unwise cost cutting by Jeff.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 27, 2017 at 10:07 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
We flew this today from HKG. Very tight aisles, minimal service, 12 FA's with such a large J cabin. The seat cushioning was comfortable, decent entertainment system, if it's working. Before takeoff, there were technicians working on the entertainment system in front and to the side.

I asked for the midflight snack, and they acted like it was rocket science to figure it out. It's a cheese sandwich and cup of tomato soup.

The shoulder space was a bit tight. It's not a horrible setup, but don't see what most of the hoopla was about.

I liked the 747 GF much more. If not for the longer connection/flight times, I'd have switched to the ORD 747 GF flight.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:22 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I liked the 747 GF much more. If not for the longer connection/flight times, I'd have switched to the ORD 747 GF flight.
That no longer exists.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A few photos from the inaugural flight that I missed posted earlier.

Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I did end up flying my return on UA. On the ground exact same avod issue but on different air frame. So seems to be issue with this plane or possibly anything going over water. ? Whatever the reason UA did not see fit to have it fixed. It was confirmed to me only UA mechanics can work on the avod system and Panasonic can not touch it. Stupid.

This time I tried outward facing seat. I'm further back and near the engine. The vibration is huge. Like you are in a movie with surround sound. I would definitely do forward cabin and directly along the window. 1A seems to be the best seat to me. You really need somewhere to put all the amenity stuff.

Internet full service on return is $5 cheaper than going over. The snack spread was better with packed Haribo and Kit Kats. The service was attentive. The aisles are tight and if you have a roller with a side bag it can easily be "pulled" apart going down the aisle. Given the equipment, service and carriers going into HKG. Gotta make you wonder.

I will miss the HKG GFL. There is a true F plane going to ORD. Next to the HKG lounges there looks to be work going on. Is that possibly the new Polaris Lounge? Five GS boarded the plane to SFO.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 29, 2017 at 2:30 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by spin88
I think this is the reality, and likely why United is so worried about this seat. It is nice compared to what United currently has, but it is mehh compared to the better current seats flown by others. There is simply nothing that makes you go "wow" unless you are a United loyalist, in which case it is a big step up. This will keep more people who are locked into United from leaving, but attracting new traffic? No so much.
Since UA can't change what they now have (realistically), the only thing they can do to attract non-loyalists is to lower prices. Or do a really good job of selling new corporate contracts. When I do random price searches on international business class fares, United is generally one of the most expensive, with some exceptions here and there.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I did end up flying my return on UA. On the ground exact same avod issue but on different air frame. So seems to be issue with this plane or possibly anything going over water. ? Whatever the reason UA did not see fit to have it fixed. It was confirmed to me only UA mechanics can work on the avod system and Panasonic can not touch it. Stupid.
That is inexcusable! When I flew the same 77W (#2132) two weeks ago on SFO-EWR, the system was fine. I was surprised to experience the problem on the inaugural flight. I am flying the 77W again next week, and hope the problem will be fixed by then.

Below is the photo I took on the inaugural flight to show the AVOD issue.

Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: All the programs!
Next to the HKG lounges there looks to be work going on. Is that possibly the new Polaris Lounge?
Maybe the new Centurion lounge?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
Since UA can't change what they now have (realistically), the only thing they can do to attract non-loyalists is to lower prices. Or do a really good job of selling new corporate contracts. When I do random price searches on international business class fares, United is generally one of the most expensive, with some exceptions here and there.
If a corp contract takes some +/-40% off the published rate, those fares look more competitive. But of course not for individual travellers (like you and me ) Also bear in mind, that in certain markets the JV partner dictates prices, e.g. LH ex-Germany, LX ex-Switzerland. UA has no pricing power in those instances.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:51 am

Really? I like that. At least another option at HKG. Did enjoy the cooked to order breakfast in GFL.

Originally Posted by oopl
Maybe the new Centurion lounge?
IMHO this is the biggest launch UA will have for a decade. More effort could have been put into making it near flawless. The only thing going forward I'd make effort to try on UA is the A350. But on that I have flown Qatar so UA will be up against high expectations. As it should be in my opinion.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 29, 2017 at 2:31 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Really? I like that. At least another option at HKG. Did enjoy the cooked to order breakfast in GFL.
They only announced their plans at the beginning of the year, but I haven't seen any news to indicate that the HKG centurion lounge is open yet or even a expected finish date other than "later this year."
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by stimpy
As cescp.g noted, discounting J and corporate contracts are at some point incompatible. United has been trying to lower the discounts (which started running 40 +/- with UA's melt-down starting in 2012) but baking in mehh hard product will not help.

It actually puts UA into an interesting box price wise.

Originally Posted by cesco.g
If a corp contract takes some +/-40% off the published rate, those fares look more competitive. But of course not for individual travellers (like you and me ) Also bear in mind, that in certain markets the JV partner dictates prices, e.g. LH ex-Germany, LX ex-Switzerland. UA has no pricing power in those instances.
And that dynamic has follow-on impacts. Given what UA often asks as last minute fares (to avoid cutting the C/D fares off which the discounts are based) United is often not cheaper, if not more expensive at the end than a much better airline such as CX/SQ. I see this on the SFO-HKG route. But this simply encourages American based travelers to try the competition, which they then quickly find is much better...
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Thank you for the photos UA_Flyer^
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by cesco.g
I'm not sure that JV matters much. Even flights to Paris UA has the roughly the same business class prices as their flights to Germany. There's no JV with Air France. Unless LH claims all of Europe?

The one route that I see UA offer decent pricing on is LAX-Japan where they have exactly the same fare as AA, but a lower fare than NH or JL. I guess there is no JV pricing control with NH?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.