Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by richarddd
Sounds good. I'm just looking for a not uncomfortable seat and 34" E+ seems much closer than 30" E.

FWIW, I'm not likely to have any bags, checked or carry-on, and hope not to be in IAD long enough for lounge access to matter.
If you're only interested in purchasing E+, it should be much cheaper (like less than $50) for a flight that short.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:20 am

Basic Q: Why was my multi-city itinerary priced cheaper than a round trip itinerary?

I just booked a multi-city economy ticket like this for a 2 week trip in late September, my ultimate destination being TRZ.

Booking 1:

Flight 1: SEA-SIN transiting at SFO, all on United
Flight 2: DEL-SEA transiting at NRT, all on ANA

This was priced $530.99

Booking 2:
One Way: SIN-TRZ transiting at CMB, on Sri Lankan.

This was priced $150.29

MAA, SIN, KUL are well connected to TRZ. So I explored the schedule and pricing to&from those airports first.

A round trip itinerary from SEA and MAA is about $1,021. SEA-SIN-SEA costs $756, SEA-KUL-SEA was $651.

I tried several combinations like SEA-KUL + SIN-SEA and SEA-SIN + KUL-SEA and SEA-MAA + SIN-SEA etc, etc.

Ultimately, the schedule and cost in the bookings above worked for me and I went ahead and booked it. I still have to purchase a ticket to DEL.

Some context: In the past, I always went to MAA where my family picks me up and drive to TRZ. This is the first time I will be flying directly to TRZ primarily to avoid the driving. MAA-TRZ flights' timings didn't work for me.

Q1. Did I book an United "revenue open jaw" without realizing it? In other words, is what I did in Booking 1 above, considered open jaw?

Q2. Why did the combination above in Booking 1, produce the best/cheapest rate of all the other combinations I tried?

Anything else I should learn from this for my future bookings?

Thank you for sharing the knowledge.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dministrator
Booking 1:

Flight 1: SEA-SIN transiting at SFO, all on United
Flight 2: DEL-SEA transiting at NRT, all on ANA

This was priced $530.99

Booking 2:
One Way: SIN-TRZ transiting at CMB, on Sri Lankan.

This was priced $150.29

Q1. Did I book an United "revenue open jaw" without realizing it? In other words, is what I did in Booking 1 above, considered open jaw?

Q2. Why did the combination above in Booking 1, produce the best/cheapest rate of all the other combinations I tried?

Anything else I should learn from this for my future bookings?

Thank you for sharing the knowledge.
Q1: Yes, this is an open-jaw ticket. A (single) open jaw is defined as a journey from A to B, combined with a journey from C to A, provided that the (unflown) B to C leg is the shortest of the three.

Q2: The vast majority of United fares can be booked on a half-round-trip basis as part of an open jaw itinerary. In most cases, they can be combined with some fares for other carriers -- particularly ANA, given that they have a joint venture with them. So, you're paying half of the SEA-SIN price plus half of the SEA-DEL price.

However, most of the inexpensive fares have a prohibition against end-on-end ticketing. An end-on-end ticket is created when you combine a fare from A to B with a fare from B to C, all on the same ticket. So, it's likely that the inexpensive fares that you used to construct your Booking 1 cannot be combined with the flights from Booking 2, meaning that a less-restricted, more-expensive fare had to be used instead.

FYI: I don't know how long you have at SIN, but if you are checking luggage, current UA policy prohibits them from checking you bag through to a non-Star Alliance airline on a separate ticket. So, you will have to go through immigration and customs at SIN, pick up your bag, and then re-check it with Sri Lankan.

As far as future lessons -- I think you've hit them on the head. Any time you're trying to make a complicated journey -- particularly one that involves several airlines -- try all of the various combinations to see which will price the best for you.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jsloan
The vast majority of United fares can be booked on a half-round-trip basis as part of an open jaw itinerary.
That works within North America, but rarely for intercontinental flights.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That works within North America, but rarely for intercontinental flights.
No, that's not true at all. Nearly all discount UA fares can be booked on a half-round-trip basis as part of an open jaw. That's different from saying that they can be booked as a one-way; the second part of the open jaw is required. So, for example, you can book MSP-LHR / CDG-MSP and it will be half of the MSP-LHR round-trip fare plus half of the MSP-CDG round-trip fare.

This is a typical rule (from an MSP-LHR L fare):

DOUBLE OPEN JAWS NOT PERMITTED.
END-ON-END NOT PERMITTED. SIDE TRIPS NOT PERMITTED
APPLICABLE ADD-ON CONSTRUCTION IS ADDRESSED IN
MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS - CATEGORY 23.
OPEN JAWS
FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS
-TO FORM SINGLE OPEN JAWS.
MILEAGE OF THE OPEN SEGMENT MUST BE EQUAL/LESS THAN
MILEAGE OF THE LONGEST FLOWN FARE COMPONENT.
So, you can't use this fare for a one-way trip, nor for a double open jaw (e.g., MSP-LHR / CDG-ORD). But you can use it for a single open jaw.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:47 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Family member has not been into her account online since UA upped the security with the silly pick list of ice cream flavors, etc. Figure I'm going to need to make a call to web support (?) with her nearby in order to get things back to where she (or I as her travel manager) can log in. Do I call web support? If so, what number? (With no status anymore, I'm loathe to call the general line and get the outsourced folks ) and the "secret" 1K line to DTW no longer works.....
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Family member has not been into her account online since UA upped the security with the silly pick list of ice cream flavors, etc. Figure I'm going to need to make a call to web support (?) with her nearby in order to get things back to where she (or I as her travel manager) can log in. ....
What is the problem?
If the security questions have not been entered, you just need to do that.
If the answers have been forgotten, there is a process to address that.
Have you hit a roadblock?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:17 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What is the problem?
If the security questions have not been entered, you just need to do that.
If the answers have been forgotten, there is a process to address that.
Have you hit a roadblock?
Password no longer works.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Password no longer works.
And what happens when you do a password reset?

Assume you are not trying to use the old PIN.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:24 pm

I will have to get back to you on that one, since I do know that it is her email associated with the account and any password reset instruction will come to her email. It's too difficult to try to coordinate that long distance, so will wait for a couple of weeks when I can be present with her.

Maybe that's all it will take.

In the meantime, if it doesn't, what is web support's phone #?

Thank you for your help!
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:28 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

In the meantime, if it doesn't, what is web support's phone #?
I'm not sure this is a web support issue. In fact I doubt it, it's a password issue that I doubt web support will assist.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:30 pm

Maybe not, but could someone share that, please?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:41 pm

Without the account email and access, you will be stuck (rightfully so).

... In the meantime, if it doesn't, what is web support's phone #? ...
Pretty sure all UA phone lines queries for account id, so you get the same folks as you would if you go thru a regualr phone agent.

Since UA only publishes an email contract for Web Support, FT does not allow posting an non-published numbers (BTW, most of the web support numbers you can find by search have been killed).

I think if you get on the phone with the other individual you should be able to do all you need with any UA human involvement.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jsloan
No, that's not true at all. Nearly all discount UA fares can be booked on a half-round-trip basis as part of an open jaw.
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were getting at.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:04 pm

2 quick questions:

1. I'm only a premier silver. How do priority luggage tags work? I purchased 4 x RT tix from SFO - NAS. We each had 1 checked bag. On the way out all 4 bags were given the orange priority tag. On the way back, only my bag was given the orange tag. The agent advised that only the Silver member with VIP printed on the luggage tag is able to get the priority tag. Is that correct?

2. Flight was delayed 2 hours due to weather in IAH. United sent me a survey asking how I felt about the flight delay but no compensation. Are weather events eligible for compensation?

-Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.