Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat (0.09 MM), SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Are the bears now hit or miss? Flew SFO to PVG no dice. Have a HKG to SFO on the way back, hoping that's the ticket!

Originally Posted by wco81
Happy to get a Polaris bear a couple of weeks ago.

But after 3411, it may be time to hang it in mock effigy.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by N104UA
Has anyone gotten a sideways glance (or push back from the FAs) when requesting the PJs, Mattress​ Pad, Slippers, and Gel Pillow all at once from the FA when boarding?

I am thinking of saying "when is the best time to request the PJs, Mattress​ Pad, and Gel Pillow?" And see what their response is but would hate for them to run out.
I received pushback from two different FAs when I asked about PJs and mattress pad on boarding. They (politely) indicated they were too busy with departure duties to do anything about it then. I had to ask again after meal service.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by mrswirl
I received pushback from two different FAs when I asked about PJs and mattress pad on boarding. They (politely) indicated they were too busy with departure duties to do anything about it then. I had to ask again after meal service.

Did you get them?

Looks like they're going to cut back on pillows.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:19 pm

Not too impressed with Polaris service (777-200, so not the actual Polaris seats). Just seems like a fancier version of first class service. No sundae - what happened!? Food was ok, nothing impressive. Took a while clean up left over banana peels, water bottles (which they ran out on teh 12+hour flight), plastic wraps.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by maxim730
No sundae - what happened!? Food was ok, nothing impressive.
The lack of sundaes is a temporary issue. Apparently the bowls were breaking off glass shards into the ice cream. So no sundaes until they can figure out a solution.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
Did you get them?

Looks like they're going to cut back on pillows.
I did after asking a couple of times. It felt like an imposition however as the whole crew was so occupied with dinner service which took forever (This was back in Dec right after Polaris was launched).

Right after I changed into the PJs I noticed a bunch of others asking as well. It started a bit of a cascade effect so suddenly the FAs were busy fulfilling numerous PJ/mattress pad/gel pillow requests at the same time they were still cleaning up after dinner.

If they're not going to supply the cabin with enough for everyone then they should go thru the cabin and mark requests for bedding & PJs at the same time they take dinner/drink selections. That would ease some anxiety about being left out.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I was on AA flight to SYD last November and I have two pairs of PJs, one unopened. They just passed them out.

I haven't used them since.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:55 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SubzeroMSP
Are the bears now hit or miss? Flew SFO to PVG no dice. Have a HKG to SFO on the way back, hoping that's the ticket!
Ursa (the bear) was only offered for a limited time following the launch of the first SFO-HKG flight. The time stated was March 25-31. There were reports of people receiving them on a few flights the next week, but nothing since.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
OP may have a point but it may be related to EWR based crew. I found S/CO EWR based crew tends to be faster. I have no problem with it. S/UA crew's service pace is perfectly fine with me.

Slower pace of services is the main reason I stopped flying NH. Too slow for my liking.
Agreed. Those legacy CO crews can't serve fast enough so they can hide in the galley for the rest of the flight. So disappointed they're staffing the new 777 Polaris aircraft. Food thrown at me last week. Tray delivered before nuts were finished.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
I agonized on my last trip when to ask. Guess my instinct was right about not asking while still on the ground. I have always gotten them asking after dinner.

I did after asking a couple of times. It felt like an imposition however as the whole crew was so occupied with dinner service which took forever (This was back in Dec right after Polaris was launched
My first Polaris trip, I walked back to the galley after dinner service and requested the jammies and pillow. They had to scrounge around for the PJs, there were none on the upper deck of the 747, but they did have the gel pillow.

On my second flight, I asked an FA walking through the aisle for the gel pillow and PJs shortly after dinner service was over. She returned with just the PJs. Then I had to ask another FA for the pillow.

I see very few people with the jammies. (But then after the Buffalo Trace, wine, and aperetif in lieu of the sundae, chased with an Ambien, I'm lights out for a good 8 hours so have no idea what folks are doing...)

Last edited by big V; Apr 22, 2017 at 9:33 am Reason: clarity
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
I'm not a real fan of what feels like playing the lottery over whether or not you get PJs or a Gel pillow. I'm a pretty finicky sleeper and I sleep far better when I'm in Pjs and have an extra pillow to hug while I'm sleeping. I would prefer to change into PJs as soon as I get on the plane as sometimes I am ready to sleep and will skip dinner. Also, I much perfer changing in the lavs while they are still somewhat clean. I could bring my own PJs, but I would rather not as they take up extra space in my luggage.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:09 am

Programs: united
loved UA Polaris LHR - EWR April 8. Flight attendant said "Enjoy, they are doing away with First Class on this flight soon" I hear that is happening a lot with other airlines to convert 1st to business. they make more $$$ per square foot with business class
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by deancowles
loved UA Polaris LHR - EWR April 8. Flight attendant said "Enjoy, they are doing away with First Class on this flight soon" I hear that is happening a lot with other airlines to convert 1st to business. they make more $$$ per square foot with business class
Old news, when Polaris was "rolled out" it was announced that F was going away. It shouldn't a surprise to anyone since all new long haul aircraft for UA doesn't have F in them.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Looked under the cover and found the label on the pillow says it's imported by 'Classic Brands LLC' in Jessup, MD.

Their site lists a travel memory gel pillow:
http://www.classicmattress.com/acces...travel-pillow/

They have a presence on Amazon, but don't see the travel sized pillow.

Here's one of theirs...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._al_bw_c_x_3_w

And another...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PLM47OW..._t3_B00MGLOX40

Ratings are fine for both, though not knowledgable about gel pillows to know if the Classic Brands imports are a good value vs other gel options.

Overall, even though all the pillows / blankets are awkward in the high density configs, it's very, very comfy once you get it all set up.

I'm usually a window person, but until the all aisle access is in place would rather have an aisle now to make it easier to set up the pad and blankets. Also found it all keeps in place nicely when you put the seat up for landing.

On food while not the most exciting presentation, it all tasted much more flavorful than the prior offerings. For airplane food the asian chicken soup and porcini mushroom pasta were among the most flavorful I've had in any cabin. Stay away from the traditional 'chicken or beef' riffs that are on the menu and some nice surprises there.
Sorry to dig this post up from so far back, but it looks like Amazon does seem to have the travel pillows now. Is this really the same deal as what's on-board? I can't imagine what's the appeal over other gel pillows. If this is the same, it makes it a bit more sad that some folks would resort to stealing items that is easily available for purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Brand...dp/B01H7I118C/
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:37 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
For those of you lamenting getting the tray too soon after the initial beverage service, compare that to my recent flights on Asiana (OZ) BKK-ICN-JFK-ICN-BKK. Even on the 14-hour A380 flights in J-class to/from JFK they don't do a beverage service. Ever. As soon as it's level enough, they lay table cloths and bring out the food. They deliver a small water bottle at the end of the meal, and that's the last thing you get unless you either ring your call button for a beverage or wander back to the galley to ask. When delivering the arrival meal service, they do ask what you'd like to drink. They only separate beverage service per se was predeparture.

The first flight (BKK-ICN) was a midnight departure, so I thought they eliminated the beverage service to get things done quickly so tired passengers can sleep. But both the long-haul flights, and ICN-BKK were daylight departures with plenty of time for a "cocktail hour."

Maybe be thankful for the ramekin of nuts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.