Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
... Where did you find that? I've never seen the policy stated in so much detail!
UA provided it in the
United Express Flight 3411 Review and Action Report
and it is posted in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...solidated.html

Originally Posted by jsloan
It's linked to the post-Dao report. And if it is truly the process, it's mind-bogglingly poor. According to that, they'll IDB a GS with no seat assignment before a non-status passenger on an award ticket. ...
No they will not, elites are exempt unless only elites remain and then it is by status. So the GS scenario would never happen.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 10, 2017 at 1:12 pm Reason: repair link
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's linked to the post-Dao report. And if it is truly the process, it's mind-bogglingly poor.
It sure explains why there is so much inconsistency, not just with respect to IDB's, but other practices as well. They basically leave it to harried, under pressure GAs to work through ambiguities.

Note that previously, UA did not publish the details (and the CoC still just lists factors, without explaining how they are applied). This was itself a DOT violation, because under 14 CFR 250.9 they are supposed to publish their "boarding priority rules and criteria." Like so much else, DOT never enforced this.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It sure explains why there is so much inconsistency, not just with respect to IDB's, but other practices as well. They basically leave it to harried, under pressure GAs to work through ambiguities.....
UA claims the list is computer generated and the GA just follows the list. I suppose some GAs might try to apply some discretion.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No they will not, elites are exempt unless only elites remain and then it is by status. So the GS scenario would never happen.
It's sad that they could produce such a poorly-worded document in response to the Dao incident, when they knew that there'd be a ton of scrutiny on the result.

It says "First" they will deny boarding to passengers without a seat assignment. It then says "Customers with frequent flyer status will not be involuntarily denied boarding." These two statements are contradictory. I believe that you're correct -- and I missed the second statement when I first replied -- but this was unnecessarily confusing.

It sure explains why there is so much inconsistency, not just with respect to IDB's, but other practices as well. They basically leave it to harried, under pressure GAs to work through ambiguities.
Agreed. VDBs are handled basically the same way -- GAs have a ton of discretion. That's great when the GA in one of the organized, motivated ones, and it's a mess otherwise.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Agreed. VDBs are handled basically the same way -- GAs have a ton of discretion. That's great when the GA in one of the organized, motivated ones, and it's a mess otherwise.
Though in the VDB situation I've always had agent discretion play to my favor... Once taking a $500 bump, keeping my (paid) seat in F and actually arriving 5 minutes earlier to my final destination; most recently when I offered to take the bump but mentioned it would be nice if I could keep the cleared upgrade for the 2nd segment, the agent protected me using "F" inventory for both segments (asked the agent next to her if she should use F or A and said screw it I muting you in F because I want to).... unfortunately there was a no show so I didn't get to take the alternate. The voucher offered was also more than I had even paid for the 'segment run' flight so it would have been like hitting the lottery.

So I'm a fan of discretion
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bajrbajr
I had thought IDB was always based on check-in time.

I purchased a ticket for my niece to return to MCO after the storm passes...
last night I was watching the fares quickly climb, so I grabbed the UA BE fare for $60. The regular economy fare was $100. If had realized that seat assignments were given at the gate and not at check-in, I woulda paid the additional $40.
AFAIK (no personal experience), BE seats are generally given out at check in, unless there are no seats left. Reports are even that if only E+ or exit row seats are left, then BE have been getting those assignments, though that is likely happening at the gate vs. by a kiosk, and some have suggested that is changing.

Check in time is certainly a factor in being IDBd, but definitely not the only factor.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 6:27 pm

The Wiki doesn't say anything about OLCI. Here is what United says :

"Q: How does the check-in process work with Basic Economy tickets?
A:
With Basic Economy, you'll only be able to check in for your flight through united.com"

Does that mean that OLCI is possible? But seat assignment is not at that stage?

I am confused and apologize if this has been asked before.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
The Wiki doesn't say anything about OLCI. Here is what United says :

"Q: How does the check-in process work with Basic Economy tickets?
A:
With Basic Economy, you'll only be able to check in for your flight through united.com"

Does that mean that OLCI is possible? But seat assignment is not at that stage?

I am confused and apologize if this has been asked before.
You may be able to do OLCI with a BE fare. You will only be able to get a boarding pass if you either have elite status / a United-branded Chase credit card or if you indicate that you're checking at least one bag. Passengers with no status and no luggage have to use the kiosk and likely see an agent. (Depending on how charitable you're feeling, either UA is enforcing the no-carry-on rule extremely strictly or they're trying to make sure that you don't get surprised at the gate with a $50 fee).

You may or may not get a seat assignment. If you do not, it will be assigned at the gate. If you have more than one flight, you may get an immediate seat assignment for some flights but not for others.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Silver
Family of four (all adults), difference between BE and Economy is about $60 pp ($240 total), no elite status with UA and no Co branded CC. Planning to check in one bag. Flight operated by RJ with 2-1 seating, so no middle seat (unless EQP swap)

Couple of questions
1. Will UA allow online check in for all four of us even though we are checking in only 1 bag?
2. If denied boarding due on oversold situation, can I expect all four to be bumped off since we are in the same reservation ?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by seshrama2
.... 2. If denied boarding due on oversold situation, can I expect all four to be bumped off since we are in the same reservation ?
IDB is exceptionally rare 1 per 20,000 passengers. On RJs this will be one per 300-400 flights.
Would not worry.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
IDB is exceptionally rare 1 per 20,000 passengers. On RJs this will be one per 300-400 flights.
Would not worry.
Thanks for your response.. I hope it doesn't happen, but if does happen- will all four be bumped off or is there a possibility only one of us is bumped off ? We can't split our travel, either all go or no one goes.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seshrama2
Thanks for your response.. I hope it doesn't happen, but if does happen- will all four be bumped off or is there a possibility only one of us is bumped off ? We can't split our travel, either all go or no one goes.
In the exceptionally unlikely case that an IDB were to occur the other members of the party would not be forced to fly -- especially if on the same PNR -- however, I'm not completely clear as to if all would be entitled to IDB compensation or only the true "IDBee" (I would suspect the latter)

In any event, the odds of it happening -- especially now that UA has significantly raised the maximum offer for VDBs -- are practically so remote that you may be better off worrying about just about anything else.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:38 am

You may be able to do OLCI with a BE fare. You will only be able to get a boarding pass if you either have elite status / a United-branded Chase credit card or if you indicate that you're checking at least one bag. Passengers with no status and no luggage have to use the kiosk and likely see an agent. (Depending on how charitable you're feeling, either UA is enforcing the no-carry-on rule extremely strictly or they're trying to make sure that you don't get surprised at the gate with a $50 fee).

You may or may not get a seat assignment. If you do not, it will be assigned at the gate. If you have more than one flight, you may get an immediate seat assignment for some flights but not for others.
Thanks so much. I was sure this was answered before but I couldn't find it. Kids are going BE from PHX to LAX on a RJ700 w/o middle seat but with 2 pieces of luggage each to connect to a paid trip in biz from LAX to NRT on UA. They are 1K and have the PresPlus CC. So, I guess, everything will be alright for them. One always worries. Thanks again.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: Hertz PC

Going through this today. At 24 hours it ask me to check-in. it assigned me seats yesterday for both my flights but was unable to get boarding passes on app. Had to go to kiosk to finish check-in. Went to kiosk and finished check-in but wouldn't print till employee scaned her I'D. (Had to wait 12 minutes for that?!?!)
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:19 pm

United to scale back basic economy

https://skift.com/2017/09/11/united-...-expands-them/

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...y-fare-in.html

http://www.investors.com/news/harvey...ashes-outlook/

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Too many BE fares getting E+ seats due to no seat assignment at booking has to be one of the issues. Pay more but get less (pay less get more) tends to irritate your customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.