Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is this United's new business class layout?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this United's new business class layout?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It's really a staggered 1-2-1. Not a true 1-2-1, but not a true 2-4-2, either
Maybe just semantics, but I'd call it a "modified 2-4-2."
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by EWR764
Maybe I'm missing something, but aside from the contoured aisle seats, how is this so dramatically different?
It isn't. Fundamentally they're the same--staggered 1-2-1. But they use different ways to get the same result. It appears this potential version for UA will be more space efficient. That's a good thing for the airline and usually the consumer (more seats, potentially more usable space). Some 1-2-1 designs waste a lot of space.

Originally Posted by halls120
When BA, AF, LH, AA and DL are offering a true PE and UA isn't, that is "not competing."

These aircraft are going to be used on long haul routes. You can't tell me that UA is going to make more money with 40 Y seats than they could with 32 PE seats.
They could very easily make more with the 40Y seats. Are people going to pay $300-500 more RT for a little more width and better food? Very debatable. What AA is doing is untested waters. Airlines can only guess if it's going to be a profitable venture.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kacee
More passengers in the same space. On the aisle you have someone next to you and behind you, as opposed to the Solstys, where you only have someone behind you. In the middle, you're sharing space with three other people, rather than having only one person next to you. It's just not a true 1-2-1. It's 2-4-2.
I'm not sure I agree with that.

Here's an overview of the Solstys seat (from OZ)

The purported UA seat appears to yield a marginally denser configuration than the original Solstys setup, but I think that comes from a more efficient use of space. In the original Solstys layout, the seat units are the same, either right-handed or left-handed, which allows a gap between all seats on the longitudinal axis for aisle access. This gap is a waste of space for the center/window seats, however, as the gap does not provide access to anything.

Here, they have found a way to eliminate that wasted space. Unlike the Solstys, the UA design uses two types of seats, let's call them A (window/center) and B (aisle). The A seats are end-to-end on the longitudinal axis, and the B seats are contoured and canted slightly to fit into the narrow section of the A seats to permit room for aisle access.

We'll see what kind of impact it has on foot space, storage or bed length (center/window seats may be longer), but I hesitate to write this off from the outset without seeing some renderings or getting a chance to sit in the seat itself. I think it could be a good compromise, allowing UA to roll out a J product with the attributes business travelers are looking for without gutting upgrade probability.

It's definitely not an off-the-shelf design as many have derided the pre-merger CO B/E Aerospace Diamond seat.

Last edited by EWR764; Mar 10, 2016 at 6:55 pm
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Looks like 1-2-1 with staggered seating, which is an upgrade from 2-4-2. Honestly, I would be perfectly fine with this as long as the seat itself is good.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:55 pm

While the thread is about new business class layout, I am disappointed that the Economy Plus section is still 10-abreast. It is not a true premium economy cabin that can compete with the other carriers.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: Alaska FF
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Personally was hoping for the Japan Airlines / Oman Air seat (also a high density layout) - but this works well and is officially a generation ahead of the Cirrus seat AA uses.
AA's configuration is true 1-2-1 and has a well proportioned shell. (All the seats have a console.)

Where is the console on the UA seats? The window seats look like they are shoved against the sidewall. Brrr...
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Just out of curiosity, how reliable is the writer's sources?
Historically, quite reliable, as I recall.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:13 pm

Maybe I'm missing something, but aside from the contoured aisle seats, how is this so dramatically different?
It isn't.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I agree. UA has no intention of competing with the top-tier airlines in terms of cabin space per passenger.
Which ones? Emirates, which just rolled out a brand new 2-3-2 biz product for its 777s?
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Also remember these birds will be competing against Etihad, Qatar, Emirates for the India / Asia traffic. No premium economy on Etihad or Qatar.

And business class seating will now be equivalent, maybe better depending on customization.
QR is 2-2-2 today, though promises a "revolutionary" new product to be announced in November. EK is 2-3-2 on the 777s and a very, very similar layout on the A380s. EY is also similar on its A380s and worse on the Jetihad planes.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Just out of curiosity, how reliable is the writer's sources?
These pictures are accurate. They line up with the LOPA as it was described to me many months back but which no one wanted to believe was real.

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Labelling both the aisle-aisle and aisle-window seats as "A" is just misleading... most airlines that use this configuration number it 1A, 2B, 3A, etc...
Definitely agree. Having a "window" seat which is actually on the aisle is crappy.

Last edited by sbm12; Mar 10, 2016 at 7:18 pm
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by minnyfly
I
They could very easily make more with the 40Y seats. Are people going to pay $300-500 more RT for a little more width and better food? Very debatable. What AA is doing is untested waters. Airlines can only guess if it's going to be a profitable venture.
Every time I flew BA TATL last year, World Traveller Plus was packed. In one instance, WTP was sold out, and there were World Traveler and Club World seats to be had.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
It also appears there will be some type of self-serve bar or credenza aft of the mid galley between the two lavs... so no 'stink-shield' seats in J, as it should be.

6 lavs in back, so just north of a 50:1 ratio, about in line with the 787-9 and worse than the 747.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Maybe it's the new Recaro seat?

https://acumen-da.com/history-item/r...ss-class-seat/
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Everyone clamoring for "all aisle access", which is a complete eyeroll to me, got what they were asking for.

DL fits 26 between door 1 and 2 on the 777, but they have some galley/closet between the doors unlike this config, so it's about the same density.

Without seeing the seat, it appears to address some of the complaints about the existing set of UA biz seats..

- Direct aisle access
- Longer bed length
- Larger foot space
This looks like it's going to have a smaller foot/lower leg space, with a deep narrow footwell like the PMCO LFBF product. The PMUA IPTE product has a narrow but very shallow footwell.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:45 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I've flown roughly this configuration on Hong Kong Airlines, and frankly, I love it. The privacy of the true window seats is awesome, and to me, much better than the "open" config of a 1-2-1...I'm able to book far enough in advance where getting the true window won't be an issue for me.

Seems to me that the UA layout will be dense enough to have several seats in a relatively small space, while still providing a more private experience, and still offering a few nice "pairs" for when traveling with a companion. Good news for a cheap P-fare buyer like me, with the occasional GPU.

Isn't the new config on the Hawaiian 777s going to be 28 seats? Does this line up to fit in line with that plan? Is this what the modified ones will be showing up with in just a few months?!?!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by LDVFlyer
AA's configuration is true 1-2-1 and has a well proportioned shell. (All the seats have a console.)

Where is the console on the UA seats? The window seats look like they are shoved against the sidewall. Brrr...
When I say generation I mean this seat was designed and launched after the AA/US Cirrus, which came out in 2008/2009 and is now 7 years old.

It's the next level of technology in that it accomplishes 95% of what that seat does in 80% of the floor space.

It's also a seat that can work on the 787 - though also has to use rear facing like the Cirrus in that layout.

Here's how it looks there

Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I think I'll just keep avoiding UA777 except GF while it still exists. This is still 8 across.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.