Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by Kacee
Wrong.

SJU is Caribbean and as such counts as an international destination for purposes of UC access:

An international itinerary includes travel to any destination outside the 50 United States. Travel to Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.

Lounge Access

OP, note that you will only get United Club access, NOT GlobalFirst Lounge.
Thanks, that's how I interpreted it too.

Also, any idea about my return journey, I'll be doing SJU-ORD-CID (all in F), can I show my SJU-ORD boarding pass at the United Club in ORD?

Thanks
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Also, any idea about my return journey, I'll be doing SJU-ORD-CID (all in F), can I show my SJU-ORD boarding pass at the United Club in ORD?
Yes, you can. They'll want to scan your ORD-CID pass and that will work fine.

I've flown to SJU via ORD and IAD. There was no issue getting UC access at any point on the itinerary. Although there is no lounge at SJU itself.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Although there is no lounge at SJU itself.
Yes there is, an Avianca lounge.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by channa
Yes there is, an Avianca lounge.
Thanks for the update. Apparently opened May 2014, so was not there last time I transited SJU (December 2013).

Opened May 2014

Last edited by Kacee; Aug 26, 2015 at 2:43 pm
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:57 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Thanks for the update. Apparently opened May 2014, so was not there last time I transited SJU (December 2013).
Ah, that's why I don't recall seeing lounges. Was there before it was opened
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Ah, that's why I don't recall seeing lounges. Was there before it was opened
Yeah I definitely looked; there was nothing but an Admiral's Club.

That airport is a pit so this is a welcome addition.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Baze
I went to the Star Alliance Website lounge finder. Plugged in that you are in F and had to put something for status so I chose UA Silver as they don't usually get lounge access on international. It came up with all the IAH regular United Club lounges as eligible to enter. If I changed it to Silver and economy it said not eligible. If i changed it to Gold and economy said eligible. This is usually (not 100%) pretty accurate so you can try and get in.
+1 I find this tool very uselful when I have any question of finding a *A lounge. When you enter SJU to ORD, Cabin class = F, Airline = UA, FF Program = MP, Status = Silver, Paid membership leave blank - the Avianca lounge shows as eligible.

Last edited by spearsba; Aug 27, 2015 at 1:20 pm Reason: Clarify steps in *A lounge finder
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I think it's been there for a while, but previously as an independent lounge, accessible via Priority Pass.

It's still accessible with PP, but also with UC, *G, or J/F ticket on *A since it's now Avianca and AV is in Star. So if you have multiple entry methods, you can decide who's gonna pay for your visit.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: Ua, ba, delta
Leaning from DBV later this month on a United award ticket flying Croatia air.

We have daily lounge passes. Would we be able to use the available lounge in DBV?

Thanks.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimhoelzel
Leaning from DBV later this month on a United award ticket flying Croatia air.

We have daily lounge passes. Would we be able to use the available lounge in DBV?

Thanks.
If these are UC One time passes they can only be used in United Clubs.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by spearsba
+1 I find this tool very uselful when I have any question of finding a *A lounge. When you enter SJU to ORD is F the Avianca lounge pops up.
Hmm, I tried entering SJU to ORD in F on United and it said not eligible
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swiftaw
Hmm, I tried entering SJU to ORD in F on United and it said not eligible
Not sure what you entered but I just tried it and it showed Avianca lounge as eligible. Put in MileagePlus, Silver flying business on United. Put in Silver as there is no choice for no status and Silver doesn't get *G access. Tried it with F and got same result.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:51 am

Access to lounges with different fare class on same ticket

Hi - On the same ticket, I am flying UnitedBusinessFirst(P) from Santiago to Houston, United First (P) from Houston to Denver, then UnitedEconomy (Y) from Denver to Winnipeg (there is no First or Business available from Denver to Winnipeg.) Will I be able to access the lounges in both Houston and Denver? This is for Travel in March, 2016.

Thanks.

Last edited by HRHSR; Sep 4, 2015 at 10:12 am
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:23 am

Yes, you get access in Houston and Denver by virtue of your same-day (i.e. within 24 hours) segment in BusinessFirst.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:26 pm

Thanks so much-love this forum!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.