Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Transfer miles from Chase or Marriott to UA
Beware for Chase this is an one-way transfer and for Marriott the return would lose points
This can take a few hours to a few days
Mile/Points transfers between UA & Marriott via RewardPlus - Questions/Experiences

Purchase Miles from UA
Currently, at 3.75 cents per mile, an expensive program but often has significant sales where miles are 2 to 2.5 cents per mile
This can take a few days

Award Accelerator
This is a more complex process but generally runs 2 to 2.5 cents per mile but hard to buy a specific amount
Miles post in a few hours at the most
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Transfer miles from another UA account
This costs 1.5 cents per mile (plus $30 fee)
Miles will post within 1 day
Generally considered a bad deal, as you can purchase the miles at about 2 cpm and not lose the miles in the other account
Short miles for award, What about transferring from another account? Alternatives?

Miles from Purchases (for small amounts)
Either via MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles
or MileagePlus Shopping
Posting time is variable

Credit Card signup bonuses
Cheapest approach but requires getting card approval and likely some card usage

An alternative is Book with Money and Miles -- What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?

Additional ways to earn miles
Also the slowest, as this will take months

e-Rewards® Opinion Panel

Print Wikipost

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I don't believe there's a residency requirement for https://www.mileageplusshopping.com/. $3 worth of iTunes will get you 6 miles.
Unfortunately there is, apparently. There is an error after I log into my (non-US) iTunes account. There isn't if I log in using an old US iTunes account I still have from years back. So the issue seems to be which country store your iTunes account is.

But then stupid iTunes doesn't let me make a purchase in the US iTunes store anymore until I have re-confirmed my US billing address which it doesn't let me with any of my (all non-US issued) credit cards as it says the address doesn't match the bank's record...what a hassle.

Any other ideas for a quick and easy 6 United Miles for a non-US resident?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Advice for UK user (Seeking Advice on MP Award Travel Options to Brazil)

Dears,

I have got 27650 UA points from past trips and I would like to go 1 way to Brazil by 20/12, but I noticed that it takes 47500 miles to get this, so I think it is not totally worthy it as it only takes 31.000 avios.
I would have to buy 20.000 points for this and it costs $700+tax...

So by any chance, does anybody knows if I redeem those UA points with any partner, will I be able to get this award flight cheaper? If it not possible I think I will just burn them within Europe.

Thank you very much,

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 28, 2015 at 4:13 am Reason: vague thread title
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Not cheaper with partners...
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:04 am

Hmnn I could not find i.e a LHR-GRU for less than 47500 one way any time of the year and that's a Saver Award!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
MP mileage awards are only redeemable through UA. If anything, UA will charge you more for partner redemption. Redeeming through partners requires partner currency. Through UA, the cheapest will be flying on UA, but that takes you through the States both ways which would be a major PITA.
*A generally is very weak to South America - you're far better off with OW in that part of the world. For *A, TAP will be your best bet.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by shadzz
I noticed that it takes 47500 miles to get this, so I think it is not totally worthy it as it only takes 31.000 avios.
But no fuel surcharges for a UA redemption. Not true if you redeem those Avios on BA or IB.

I would have to buy 20.000 points for this and it costs $700+tax...
You should be able to get 20,000 miles for around $400 US.

XXX Miles Short - How to Get Them

Premier Accelerator Rates 2015

Still may not be a good deal for you.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
*A generally is very weak to South America - you're far better off with OW in that part of the world. For *A, TAP will be your best bet.
Lufthansa flies to GIG (and various other SA cities) via FRA. And Avianca flies LHR-BOG.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:16 am

Thanks for the comments, it seems not a very good way to redeem in economy.
I might be better off at Iberia from MAD (25,000 Avios + 77 .35 €) for this trip.

I still didn't find the best use for my 27650 UA other than a RTN from LON to somewhere in Europe.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee

Lufthansa flies to GIG (and various other SA cities) via FRA. And Avianca flies LHR-BOG.
Quite. Almost no options unless you want to stop.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:57 pm

From where can I transfer to UA miles?

I have chase Freedom - I think it does not allow to transfer unless I have a say Sapphire card - I recently downgraded Sapphire to non-preferred - so I can not transfer?

I have AMEX MR - that does not transfer to UA - is there a workaround?
Tried MR to do a single tkt - cost me 90k points!

How about Hilton or IHG/Marriot?

On one UA account, I am short by 600 miles for an award. Spouses' account need 8k miles.

Any tips?

Last edited by sciconf; Apr 29, 2015 at 6:37 pm
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sciconf
.... Marriot? ....
UA MP members can transfer from Marriott to UA MP via RewardsPlus

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...us-united.html
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:32 pm

So you get
50,000 MileagePlus miles 112,000 Marriott?
It seems a lot of Marriott points to give up!

How long does it take?

Last edited by sciconf; Apr 29, 2015 at 11:56 pm
Old May 13, 2015, 3:18 pm

need miles

I have a united mileage plus explorer card for 3 years. My husband applied for and was approved last week. Any other way to get a big bonus. I have a chase sapphire already. Thanks
Old May 13, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by lilmama48
I have a united mileage plus explorer card for 3 years. My husband applied for and was approved last week. Any other way to get a big bonus. I have a chase sapphire already. Thanks
The terms and conditions state that you cannot get the bonus if you apply for and are approved for another Explorer card within 24 months of opening. Since you are at 36 months, you can apply again and try to get the 50K bonus (provided you are approved).
Old May 13, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
He can get a Chase Sapphire, one or both of you could get a Chase Ink, you could take a bunch of surveys, sign up for MileagePlus Dining, use the MileagePlusX app for purchases....
Old May 13, 2015, 3:38 pm

need miles

I applied and it says it is pending - my credit score is over 800. Should I call a reconsideration number and does anyone know what that number is?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.