Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UC amenities - regular & special food / snacks, power, wifi, work areas, ...{archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Pre-discussions

New United Club menus to be "announced" 4 March 2015

United Clubs to be renovated

Confirmed Clubs with New Food Offerings:

All domestic clubs now confirmed with some version of the New Food Offerings. Full spread at all domestic hubs, with cut-down or hybrid versions at most outstation clubs.

International Clubs with different catering: GUM, HKG, MEX, LHR, NRT

Updates:

October 11, 2017: A new flavor coming to United Clubs
Print Wikipost

UC amenities - regular & special food / snacks, power, wifi, work areas, ...{archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
This sounds much more competitive with Delta and American. Happy that this is a change I'll actually like.

I hope that the pivot includes enhanced complimentary adult beverages---seriously I'd settle for Heineken like on PMCO. It would also be nice if the pay beer had a discount for premium Chase customers and/or were full pints like at PMUA.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zrs70
My lifetime membership just got a major upgrade!!!
Same here!

Kudos to provide some alternatives to the high-carb loaded current offerings! ^
Looking forward to try the soup!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I wonder if the torpedoes will stay.

Only salami? Nothing leaner like turkey or ham?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Silver; HHonors Silver; HyattGP Platinum; Hertz PC
I will admit that I use the Clubs more for workspace, power, and wi-fi, but this announcement just made the thought of renewing much more palatable. While some on FT complain about the IKEA-ish nature of the new furniture, I find that it relieves crowding...or the perception of it anyway. (I would rather have a seat/place to work on IKEA furniture than no seat at all.)
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Very positive news...and more Maple Leaf Lounge-ish, which is not a bad thing, in fact it's what we specifically asked for.

I do have a couple questions:

1. will other soup choices be rotated into to the mix? Or just garden vegetable every day? I understand and appreciate that vegetarian soups will satisfy the widest range of customers, but how about additional options, ie cream of mushroom, tomato, etc

2. what is the layout for the new products - will they be in sealed single-serve packaging, or in open bowls and trays similar to the leaked online photos? I know the decision-ship has probably sailed on this, but I would hope items are sealed, single-serve where possible, and bulk items will be covered with every possible attempt to keep dirty fingers, sneezes, coughs, etc away from food.

This is actually a key problem in MLLs where I've had to bark at people sticking their fingers into the pickle and olive trays and cookies.

Funny questions but to answer #1 you need only to look at the original post

Originally Posted by UA Insider
....Here’s what you might see:....
So this is only a sample list of items not an exact menu.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Very positive news...and more Maple Leaf Lounge-ish, which is not a bad thing, in fact it's what we specifically asked for.

I do have a couple questions:

1. will other soup choices be rotated into to the mix? Or just garden vegetable every day? I understand and appreciate that vegetarian soups will satisfy the widest range of customers, but how about additional options, ie cream of mushroom, tomato, etc

2. what is the layout for the new products - will they be in sealed single-serve packaging, or in open bowls and trays similar to the leaked online photos? I know the decision-ship has probably sailed on this, but I would hope items are sealed, single-serve where possible, and bulk items will be covered with every possible attempt to keep dirty fingers, sneezes, coughs, etc away from food.

This is actually a key problem in MLLs where I've had to bark at people sticking their fingers into the pickle and olive trays and cookies.
Good idea on the soup rotation. And although I'm not vegetarian, I would welcome a rotation of vegetarian soups to keep everyone happy.

As you mentioned in the pictures, the food display at ORD seemed to have a sneeze-guard (although it looked to be about 6-ft high...).

If I recall correctly, at Maple Leaf Lounges I've visited, the eggs are in a clear plastic shelf with a door, kind of like the bagels are stored in some of the UCC's today. I would think UA could re-purpose some of the current storage bins. How about bagel sticks that shoot out of the current trail mix containers when you turn the wheel?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
This sounds much more competitive with Delta and American.
Actually this is the same (in press release form at least) as Delta ...

Here's what Delta posts on their website about the "fresh" menu:

To whet your appetite, here’s a sample of the delicious new items selected by Club members like you earlier this year:

• Healthy breakfast options like fruit salad, hard-boiled eggs, Greek yogurt and cereal, plus fresh bagels
• Delicious hot soup and a variety of tasty salads, plus marinated mushrooms, fresh fruit and desserts
• Complimentary Baileys Irish Cream at the bar
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:24 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
HKG / NRT to be brought to the level of LHR?

Do people think it is safe to assume HKG & NRT will be brought to the level of the well received LHR United Club?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
They're renovating HKG? No! Leave HKG alone! It's fine the way it is! Spend the money somewhere else.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
I'm thinking there may be a difference between "pre-packaged" and "prepared" foods, and as such, health department protection money fees, inspections, etc. may be in order. Not to mention maybe installing electrical systems for the soup/oatmeal warmers, etc.

There's a lot more to running the show than any of us see ....
agreed. its not just show up with food and good to go. 6 month staged roll out (also they didnt say we wouldn't see any until 6 months from now they said 6 months to completion) may be the most economical way to roll this out without spending a crazy amount of money to train and roll out at every location simultatinously.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
This sounds much more competitive with Delta and American. Happy that this is a change I'll actually like.

I hope that the pivot includes enhanced complimentary adult beverages---seriously I'd settle for Heineken like on PMCO. It would also be nice if the pay beer had a discount for premium Chase customers and/or were full pints like at PMUA.
+1. This is a great change, don't get me wrong, but it really only seems to be bringing their standards up to their competition and not doing much to "one-up" the competition.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Silver; HHonors Silver; HyattGP Platinum; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
They're renovating HKG? No! Leave HKG alone! It's fine the way it is! Spend the money somewhere else.
+1 The food and beverage options are great at HKG. There are showers available. While HKG might not have the updated look of the LHR Club, it provides all the same amenities.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:46 am

Hopely the current better menu in the United Clubs at HKG and NRT will not be replaced by this new menu (better than before, but still worse than even those in Maple Leaf Lounges)
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
^

I will be one well-fed bottom feeder.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, United Club, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Welcomed changes, I have to admit, after you go in some Star Alliance partner lounges overseas and then come back to the United Club's in the US to find even the crackers are now just a single type, we don't look very impressive at present.

Talking of spending a little money in domestic United Club's, can we get a shower or two in IAD? Even the Global First lounge does not have one, although they did set me up with the Lufthansa lounge shower a month or so ago, but all the way over in A concourse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.