Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Phaze
Previous thread - Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, IAD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.
NOTE: Global First Lounge at ORD has closed. Polaris lounge Chicago is now open, including dining. The Global First Lounge at LHR closes at 18:00, as confirmed by United via phone. The website currently omits this information.

This reconfirmed per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (EWR-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. This does not apply to a GS flying non-UA metal.

Any passenger holding a boarding pass for travel within 24 hours in UA GF will have access to the GFL at their departure and connecting airports.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Wow. Thanks for the replies - sorry I'm too dense to read the first access policies but I felt this was a bit of a tricky one. It seems weird that Lufthansa would book me on a "first ticket" but not arrange access to a first lounge in SFO.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:29 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jhjunc
Wow. Thanks for the replies - sorry I'm too dense to read the first access policies but I felt this was a bit of a tricky one. It seems weird that Lufthansa would book me on a "first ticket" but not arrange access to a first lounge in SFO.
Lounges are generally considered to be departure lounges and therefore your departing flight sets you access.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by MIGU
Question regarding GFL, do GS have access if traveling domestic I heard some will only have access while holding an international Business Class?
Only if holding an international Business ticket. You will also get access when connecting from an international Business ticket to a domestic connection (e.g. LHR-ORD-LAS - you will get access at ORD). No guests, however.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
Guest policy for GFL/UC for BF and GF ticket holders

Based on what I can see, the guest policy for BF/GF ticket holders is that you're permitted 1 guest.

It makes no reference to the guest being a traveller on United, or on the same flight, etc. (compared to the *G requirements for the guest to also be on a same-day *A flight)

Does this mean if I'm flying GF, I can guest one other person who simply needs to meet the requirements of being airside? (e.g. a person flying DL Y class?)
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
BF doesn't get any guests.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
Originally Posted by mduell
Oops! Anyhow, my question is specific to Global First really.
If I hold a GF ticket, can I guest another traveller who is not flying *A/UA
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by skycrab
.... If I hold a GF ticket, can I guest another traveller who is not flying *A/UA
The generic *A IFL lounge rules require the guest to hold a departing *A BP. (see definitions) UA can be more generous but I would doubt it will be.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:46 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I have guested several Flyertalkers in the GFL when I was flying GF and they were not.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I have guested several Flyertalkers in the GFL when I was flying GF and they were not.
Yes, but were they departing from that airport on that day on a Star Alliance flight?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
SFO Global First Arrivals Lounge access

We're arriving from ICN at SFO (arrives at 11:00am) on Global First.

The website says something about needing an invitation to the Arrivals Global First Lounge.

How does one practically access the lounge after getting through Customs? Do we go there directly. Is it half-way between Domestic and International Baggage Claim?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by sfonorth
.... How does one practically access the lounge after getting through Customs? Do we go there directly. Is it half-way between Domestic and International Baggage Claim?
The SFO Arrivals lounge is outside of security, in T3 on the baggage claim level (at the end nearest International G terminal). There will be signs.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Officially, no. Unofficially, I did manage to get in with my parents when they were arriving in GF/departing in F and I wasn't flying at all (got a gate pass using my UC card to get through security). However I would not plan on that working in most situations...

Originally Posted by sfonorth
The website says something about needing an invitation to the Arrivals Global First Lounge.

How does one practically access the lounge after getting through Customs? Do we go there directly. Is it half-way between Domestic and International Baggage Claim?
No invitation needed, but hang onto your incoming boarding pass to make things easier.

Easiest way to get there is to turn LEFT after customs. That's the way that they tell you go if you're connecting to another flight, but you can go that way even if you're not connecting. Then left again out of the glass doors, walk until you get to the escalators (re-checking any bags you have on the way), and then turn right. Along a little, and then go right down the stairs/escalators, follow the path a little, and it'll be in front of you.

There are signs, but they aren't great and they are easy to miss...

If you are actually connecting on UA, then you can skip the arrivals lounge and go straight to the GF lounge in the International terminal (same two lefts as above, but when you get to the escalators turn left and go up them and you'll be at the international TSA entry)
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:30 pm

I will be arriving at SFO flying GF from FRA. I am then flying domestically on WN with a long layover. Will my inbound boarding pass be enough to get me access to the GF lounge, or must I also be connecting to UA?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lkar
I will be arriving at SFO flying GF from FRA. I am then flying domestically on WN with a long layover. Will my inbound boarding pass be enough to get me access to the GF lounge, or must I also be connecting to UA?
You will need to be on an outgoing UA flight (any class).

The Arrivals lounge is also out as you'll be arriving too late in the day.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat

What about LHR? GS arriving in UA BF connecting on *A in C class intra-Europe. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.