FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1653157-global-first-lounge-ifl-gfl-access-questions-experiences-2015-forward.html)

djmp Jan 19, 2015 8:28 pm

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Sorry - I couldn't get a clear answer to this question scanning this thread. If I fly SFO-IAD (Domestic First) -> IAD-LHR (Global First) do I get GFL access in SFO before the domestic flight? Per this, I think so (based on 24 hour rule).

CMK10 Jan 19, 2015 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by djmp (Post 24198154)
Sorry - I couldn't get a clear answer to this question scanning this thread. If I fly SFO-IAD (Domestic First) -> IAD-LHR (Global First) do I get GFL access in SFO before the domestic flight? Per this, I think so (based on 24 hour rule).

You are supposed to, though there are reports (including one from me) of the agents at SFO playing by their own rules and insisting the GF flight has to leave from SFO for access.

djmp Jan 22, 2015 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 23795907)
Not heard anything, that the GFL will be back after remodelling.

At LAX GFL also served GS customers on p.s. flights to JFK, in addition to international flights.

Did the LAX GFL come back? (The sticky at the top of the thread says LAX has a GFL).

LANDJ999 Jan 22, 2015 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by micmcguire (Post 24063411)
Wow I have to disagree. They have a made to order menu, pour your own booze, plenty of waitstaff checking on you and it's clean, top that with the fact that there have been like 3 other people in there the few times I have been in there. What else do you need?

Is the made to order menu any good? Could you eat there and sleep on the flight?

djmp Jan 26, 2015 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by djmp (Post 24216910)
Did the LAX GFL come back? (The sticky at the top of the thread says LAX has a GFL).

LAX GFL is RIP and not coming back per the staff there.

kirkwoodj Jan 26, 2015 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by djmp (Post 24216910)

I just fixed the wiki-sticky, Sigh :(

Originally Posted by LANDJ999 (Post 24216966)
Is the made to order menu any good? Could you eat there and sleep on the flight?

At ORD, not really anything substantial IME, so I'd say no (If you want pre-flight meal, go to Tortas Frontera!). At LHR GFL, absolutely! ^

djmp Jan 26, 2015 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 24198332)
You are supposed to, though there are reports (including one from me) of the agents at SFO playing by their own rules and insisting the GF flight has to leave from SFO for access.

Maybe I was lucky but I had no issues getting GFL access at SFO with an SFO-LAX-LHR F ticket (and SFO-LAX was in coach). The agent was helpful enough to gives a heads up that the domestic flights wouldn't be announced in the lounge.

iluv2fly Jan 26, 2015 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by djmp (Post 24238605)
LAX GFL is RIP and not coming back per the staff there.

Correct.

They did say something about having a "VIP" room, but they wouldn't elaborate.

jgsx Jan 27, 2015 4:40 am

Originally Posted by iluv2fly (Post 24239679)
Correct.

They did say something about having a "VIP" room, but they wouldn't elaborate.

I know the LAX GFL staff well, and last week they said it's reopening in two years. I'm a bit skeptical of their info. On the final day the LAX GFL was open, they were quizzing *me* on what I knew about its future.

jhjunc Feb 6, 2015 6:46 am

Acess to United First Lounge at SFO?

Hello all,

Quick question about access to the United First Lounge in SFO. I am flying on a REV first class ticket from Frankfurt to Honolulu with a 3.5 hour layover in SFO. My flight from FRA-SFO is in Lufthansa First and my flight from SFO-Hawaii is in United Business/First. Will I have access to the United First class Lounge?

Thanks very much.

*I tried to sort this out for myself from other threads and United's policy but couldn't be sure.

Often1 Feb 6, 2015 7:32 am

No need to search FT. It's on UA's website lisitng access for GFL's. You would not qualify if arriving long-haul without a UA BP and you would not qualify if departing on domestic any class to HI.

Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

Kacee Feb 6, 2015 8:31 am

Originally Posted by jhjunc (Post 24301845)
Quick question about access to the United First Lounge in SFO. I am flying on a REV first class ticket from Frankfurt to Honolulu with a 3.5 hour layover in SFO. My flight from FRA-SFO is in Lufthansa First and my flight from SFO-Hawaii is in United Business/First. Will I have access to the United First class Lounge?

Sorry, no access. In fact, no lounge access at all at SFO unless you are *G with a carrier other than UA.

Also, it's not called BusinessFirst from SFO-HNL. Just plain old United First.

afrozenfyre Feb 6, 2015 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 24302397)
Sorry, no access. In fact, no lounge access at all at SFO unless you are *G with a carrier other than UA.

Also, it's not called BusinessFirst from SFO-HNL. Just plain old United First.

I have gotten UC access connecting to a domestic UA flight after arriving from an LH INTL J. I am UA*G

Kacee Feb 6, 2015 9:04 am

Originally Posted by afrozenfyre (Post 24302502)
I have gotten UC access connecting to a domestic UA flight after arriving from an LH INTL J. I am UA*G

Yeah I hesitate to mention that because it's inconsistently enforced. They've reworded the rule but it's still ambiguous.

WineCountryUA Feb 6, 2015 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 24302397)
.... In fact, no lounge access at all at SFO unless you are *G with a carrier other than UA....

Incorrect -- any *G (UA or not) receives *A lounge access (including UC) for any cabin of travel on an *A international itin.

United Star Alliance Gold customers may only access the United Clubs within the U.S. when traveling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight.

United Star Alliance Gold UC access
Customer must present either:
1) Valid Star Gold card and boarding pass for travel within 24 hours on a Star-operated international* flight (does not have to be same itinerary)
2) A boarding pass for a Star-operated international flight with Star Gold status listed on the boarding pass for a flight within 24 hours (does not have to be same itinerary)
More in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-2015-a.html