FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1653157-global-first-lounge-ifl-gfl-access-questions-experiences-2015-forward.html)

porciuscato Jun 23, 2015 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 25018198)
The tarmac pick-up/ride to the gate in the AMG Merc at FRA is an essential travel experience. As is the buggy ride through the Royal Silk lounge at BKK :)

That's only on Lufthansa flights, no? I did one a few years back and got the choice between the Merc SUV and a Porsche. I went with the latter.

Back to UAL GFL..... my last time through, instead of a Mercedes I got a lounge dragon snarl. That's because I handed her my continuing BP instead of the one from the GF flight that I just arrived on. She was already set to deny with: "You're not eligible to use the lounge" Didn't even bother to look at the whole itinerary.

I wonder if she would actually have denied me access if I hadn't been able to find the used GF boarding pass..... The contrast between UAL and the other global airlines is just stunning.

JVPhoto Jun 24, 2015 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 25018198)
The tarmac pick-up/ride to the gate in the AMG Merc at FRA is an essential travel experience. As is the buggy ride through the Royal Silk lounge at BKK :)

Pulling into a non-gate position from PRG had me grinning ear to ear...hoping the same for TXL in a few weeks.

I didn't realize the buggy ride went THROUGH the Royal Silk lounge the first time, made me a little self-conscious which was amplified by it being an extra tall cart and me already being 6'2".

swixo Jun 27, 2015 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 25000788)
Says you, there are plenty of others, myself included, who will miss it and the staff who worked there.

I'm gonna miss JFK PS service, the lounge (especially GFL), and the staff.

s

tcdtcd Jul 12, 2015 9:56 am

GFL access at ORD?

Paid biz ticket ORD-IAH-BOG and GS member. I'm thinking probably not, but thought I'd check with the experts.....

Kacee Jul 12, 2015 10:06 am

Originally Posted by tcdtcd (Post 25105372)
Paid biz ticket ORD-IAH-BOG and GS member. I'm thinking probably not, but thought I'd check with the experts.....

IIRC, they typically limit this benefit to BF routes, and BOG is not BF (despite being GPU only). You might give it a try nonetheless.

tcdtcd Jul 12, 2015 10:11 am

Thanks Kacee. Will try, and let you know outcome. Worst case is going next door, shamed, to the UC.:)

uanj Jul 12, 2015 11:48 am

Originally Posted by tcdtcd (Post 25105426)
Thanks Kacee. Will try, and let you know outcome. Worst case is going next door, shamed, to the UC.:)

No shame in trying, and the agents in the ORD FCL are very nice. If your boarding pass does not say Business First but you still get in, be sure to let us know!

tcdtcd Jul 18, 2015 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 25105408)
IIRC, they typically limit this benefit to BF routes, and BOG is not BF (despite being GPU only). You might give it a try nonetheless.

Returning to answer/respond......

So, I didn't ultimately schlep over to GFL as the ORD-IAH flight was out of B7, just went to adjacent UC. I'm in the GFL enough on TATLs and TPACs and 45 min in mid morning didn't seem worth it.

However, I do have to say I was surprised my bp for IAH-BOG said "BF" and sure enough the 757 was the lie-flat intl config and the abbreviated 3-4 course BF menus were used.

So....I think I would've probably been allowed in the ORD GFL had I not been too lazy to go to C, but who knows?

Related -- on the return yesterday, UA 1008 BOG-FRA (ultimately cancelled due to broken door hinge) was a 737 and not marked as BF on bp. However, they did distribute "BF" breakfast menus with 3 choices prior to the cancellation:rolleyes:. So maybe they do now treat all IAH-BOG/return flights as BF regardless of aircraft type? They should, if they wont allow CPUs.

Somewhat related -- Am I the only one who thinks the short/med- haul Latam catering is some of the best in the system? Less food but the entrees are always delicious. Maybe it because I dont take those flights as often as TATL/TPAC, but they always seem far better than domestic for sure and often more interesting than the BF/GF menus across the ponds.

Kacee Jul 18, 2015 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by tcdtcd (Post 25136725)
However, I do have to say I was surprised my bp for IAH-BOG said "BF" and sure enough the 757 was the lie-flat intl config and the abbreviated 3-4 course BF menus were used.

I flew IAH-BOG late June and my BP says "Business" not BF. I've flown this route a half dozen times over past 18 months and that's always been the case. The menu did say "BusinessFirst" this last trip which is the first time I've seen that but it is not the same style menu as TPAC/TATL. The catering is pretty good ex-IAH and absolutely awful ex-BOG. The service is definitely not BF in that they give out the kleenex-thin blankets and NO PILLOW, not even on the red-eye.

tcdtcd Jul 18, 2015 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 25137190)
I flew IAH-BOG late June and my BP says "Business" not BF. I've flown this route a half dozen times over past 18 months and that's always been the case. The menu did say "BusinessFirst" this last trip which is the first time I've seen that but it is not the same style menu as TPAC/TATL. The catering is pretty good ex-IAH and absolutely awful ex-BOG. The service is definitely not BF in that they give out the kleenex-thin blankets and NO PILLOW, not even on the red-eye.

LOL, yes Kacee, even on the 757 lieflat, the offering was a very 'sheer' and small blanket and no pillow! But the catering was excellent and my bp did say BF (would scan it in if my home scanner was working - it is not). Obviously I didn't get to avail myself of BOG catering given the cancellation but I trust your judgment!;)

Kacee Jul 18, 2015 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by tcdtcd (Post 25137520)
LOL, yes Kacee, even on the 757 lieflat, the offering was a very 'sheer' and small blanket and no pillow! But the catering was excellent and my bp did say BF (would scan it in if my home scanner was working - it is not). Obviously I didn't get to avail myself of BOG catering given the cancellation but I trust your judgment!;)

I wonder if GS BPs print differently so that you can use the GFL? If you search for flights on .com, IAH-BOG still shows as "Business" rather than "BusinessFirst."

SF1K Jul 18, 2015 6:54 pm

Tokyo GFL access?

So currently flying GF from SIN-NRT and connecting to BF NRT-HNL (wait listed for GF). Will we have access to GFL in NRT even if we don't clear for the second leg since we are arriving in GF?

goodeats21 Jul 18, 2015 6:57 pm

Yes. Arriving on United metal GlobalFirst allows access to GlobalFirst Lounge.

Note: If you are on any other meal (*A), access is only for departing.

kirkwoodj Jul 18, 2015 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 25137945)
Yes. Arriving on United metal GlobalFirst allows access to GlobalFirst Lounge.

Note: If you are on any other meal (*A), access is only for departing.

I'm sure they meant 'metal'. So SIN-NRT counts as GF too? How nice.

Kacee Jul 18, 2015 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj (Post 25138311)
So SIN-NRT counts as GF too? How nice.

Yes, that is absolutely sold as a GF route.