FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1653157-global-first-lounge-ifl-gfl-access-questions-experiences-2015-forward.html)

kthpence Sep 4, 2015 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 25378501)
There's an airside connection between concourses F and G. It's approx. 3 minutes (or less) from Centurion lounge to international departures in G.

No way. LHR is a clear #1.

Meant to say "One of the best in the US," as the OP was referring to the IAD lounge which some people skip all together to go to the LH Senator lounge instead (and SFO GFL is better than IAD, ORD and JFK).

guruboy Sep 4, 2015 4:21 pm

Thanks for the inputs.

I think I'll just stick with BF and Centurion Lounge. We are on the 747 and have UD seats 13AB I believe.

I don't suppose GF can get shuttled to the gate like GS? That would be pretty cool and maybe worth the miles... :D

porciuscato Sep 4, 2015 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by guruboy (Post 25378843)
Thanks for the inputs.
I don't suppose GF can get shuttled to the gate like GS? That would be pretty cool and maybe worth the miles... :D

I'm GS and have flown out of SFO in GF several times. Never got shuttled to the gate.

To be blunt, the GF lounge at SFO is a sad joke. It features some very tired sushi, cup-o-noodles and this very scary looking fatty beef and noodle dish that you ladle broth into (after you remove the saran wrap). You get your choice of screw-top wine bottles.

I actually prefer the couscous in the UC.

Unless you get seats 2A or 2K, the UD is superior to GF. The center seats in GF are unpleasant.

mmack Sep 4, 2015 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by guruboy (Post 25378843)
Thanks for the inputs.

I think I'll just stick with BF and Centurion Lounge. We are on the 747 and have UD seats 13AB I believe.

13 A & B !!!The best seats on the UD of the 474. Enjoy!:)

tcdtcd Sep 4, 2015 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by kthpence (Post 25378718)
Meant to say "One of the best in the US," as the OP was referring to the IAD lounge which some people skip all together to go to the LH Senator lounge instead (and SFO GFL is better than IAD, ORD and JFK).

Really? Agree on IAD ('80s hell and surly matrons), but I do think the refurbed ORD GFL is the best in the US? Not totally confident in this claim, perhaps I caught SFO on a bad day?

kirkwoodj Sep 4, 2015 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by kthpence (Post 25378151)
Yes, it's well known that SFO's UA IFL is the best in their system (at least from what I've read and IMO), however the original question that was asked was whether or not it was worth 30k more miles plus not using (assumedly free) access to the Centurion Lounge. Do you think it's worth it is the 30k extra miles?

Absolutely not, unless you typoed 'worst'. Since Centurion Lounge opened at SFO, I have no reason to use GFL unless departing gate nearby,

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 25378501)
There's an airside connection between concourses F and G. It's approx. 3 minutes (or less) from Centurion lounge to international departures in G.

No way. LHR is a clear #1.

By a million miles.

Originally Posted by porciuscato (Post 25379151)
I'm GS and have flown out of SFO in GF several times. Never got shuttled to the gate.

To be blunt, the GF lounge at SFO is a sad joke. It features some very tired sushi, cup-o-noodles and this very scary looking fatty beef and noodle dish that you ladle broth into (after you remove the saran wrap). You get your choice of screw-top wine bottles.

Unless you get seats 2A or 2K, the UD is superior to GF. The center seats in GF are unpleasant.

With a partner I agree. GF not useful for any personal contact notions. Extremely rarely an issue on such itineraries for me, but in your case would stick with BF for "romantic" ideas. All the best.

uanj Sep 5, 2015 2:40 am

Originally Posted by porciuscato (Post 25379151)

I was only once offered a shuttle at SFO. But this year they seem to have scaled it back a lot.

As for the UC over the GFL? Really? Last I checked the champagne was real and did not have a screw top!

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj (Post 25379514)
Absolutely not, unless you typoed 'worst'. Since Centurion Lounge opened at SFO, I have no reason to use GFL unless departing gate nearby,

I have not had luck with the Centurion Lounge, I seem to hit it at peak time with no seats available. Don't have that problem at the GFL (for better or worse) and can always get a shower.

kthpence Sep 5, 2015 4:10 am

Originally Posted by tcdtcd (Post 25379240)
[/B]

Really? Agree on IAD ('80s hell and surly matrons), but I do think the refurbed ORD GFL is the best in the US? Not totally confident in this claim, perhaps I caught SFO on a bad day?

I prefer the SFO GFL over ORD, but that's mainly because I prefer SFO as an airport as a whole, and like the vantage point of the GFL below UA's fleet. Plus Ruinart > Veuve IMO, and last time I was at SFO it was Ruinart and ORD had Veuve.

manstein58 Sep 17, 2015 12:05 am

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Flying GF FRA/IAD. Do I have access to LH FC Lounge?

porciuscato Sep 17, 2015 12:12 am

Originally Posted by manstein58 (Post 25437865)

Yes. Enjoy!

Pat Plus Sep 17, 2015 2:13 pm

No (despite what the previous poster said) *unless* you are a Global Services member.

You will only have access to the Lufthansa Senator Lounge, but not to Lufthansa's First Class lounges which are for LH First Class and HON customers only.

The only exception is for Global Services members flying in Global First (that has to be a handful of passengers a day, at most.)

goodeats21 Sep 17, 2015 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato (Post 25437874)
Yes. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by Pat+ (Post 25441025)
No (despite what the previous poster said) *unless* you are a Global Services member.

You will only have access to the Lufthansa Senator Lounge, but not to Lufthansa's First Class lounges which are for LH First Class and HON customers only.

The only exception is for Global Services members flying in Global First (that has to be a handful of passengers a day, at most.)

manstein58 profile lists him as a Global Services Member, so yes, he will have access to the Lufthansa First Class Lounge due to his status + Global First BP.

porciuscato Sep 17, 2015 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pat+ (Post 25441025)

I was in fact noting that the OP had GS in his profile and that he was flying FRA->IAD. To be clear, FCL access is only for flights originating from FRA. So he would not get access to the LH FCL going IAD->FRA.

manstein58 Sep 17, 2015 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato (Post 25441265)
I was in fact noting that the OP had GS in his profile and that he was flying FRA->IAD. To be clear, FCL access is only for flights originating from FRA. So he would not get access to the LH FCL going IAD->FRA.

thanks to all. Made the trek there and it was worth it. In true Teutonic fashion, I had to produce my GS card to the dragons in order to gain entry

FlyHighInTheSky Sep 25, 2015 3:46 am

Departing PVG on UA836 in Global First on Monday and am wondering what lounges I will have access to at PVG?

If it makes any difference, I'm currently Premiere Platinum.

Thank you in advance.