FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1653157-global-first-lounge-ifl-gfl-access-questions-experiences-2015-forward.html)

jhjunc Feb 7, 2015 4:34 am

Wow. Thanks for the replies - sorry I'm too dense to read the first access policies but I felt this was a bit of a tricky one. It seems weird that Lufthansa would book me on a "first ticket" but not arrange access to a first lounge in SFO.

WineCountryUA Feb 7, 2015 8:29 am

Originally Posted by jhjunc (Post 24307194)
Wow. Thanks for the replies - sorry I'm too dense to read the first access policies but I felt this was a bit of a tricky one. It seems weird that Lufthansa would book me on a "first ticket" but not arrange access to a first lounge in SFO.

Lounges are generally considered to be departure lounges and therefore your departing flight sets you access.

iluv2fly Feb 7, 2015 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by MIGU (Post 24308889)
Question regarding GFL, do GS have access if traveling domestic I heard some will only have access while holding an international Business Class?

Only if holding an international Business ticket. You will also get access when connecting from an international Business ticket to a domestic connection (e.g. LHR-ORD-LAS - you will get access at ORD). No guests, however.

skycrab Feb 7, 2015 3:12 pm

Guest policy for GFL/UC for BF and GF ticket holders

Based on what I can see, the guest policy for BF/GF ticket holders is that you're permitted 1 guest.

It makes no reference to the guest being a traveller on United, or on the same flight, etc. (compared to the *G requirements for the guest to also be on a same-day *A flight)

Does this mean if I'm flying GF, I can guest one other person who simply needs to meet the requirements of being airside? (e.g. a person flying DL Y class?)

mduell Feb 7, 2015 3:20 pm

BF doesn't get any guests.

skycrab Feb 7, 2015 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 24309861)

Oops! Anyhow, my question is specific to Global First really.
If I hold a GF ticket, can I guest another traveller who is not flying *A/UA

WineCountryUA Feb 7, 2015 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by skycrab (Post 24309871)
.... If I hold a GF ticket, can I guest another traveller who is not flying *A/UA

The generic *A IFL lounge rules require the guest to hold a departing *A BP. (see definitions) UA can be more generous but I would doubt it will be.

iluv2fly Feb 7, 2015 3:46 pm

I have guested several Flyertalkers in the GFL when I was flying GF and they were not.

Always Flyin Feb 7, 2015 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly (Post 24309973)
I have guested several Flyertalkers in the GFL when I was flying GF and they were not.

Yes, but were they departing from that airport on that day on a Star Alliance flight?

sfonorth Feb 7, 2015 8:39 pm

SFO Global First Arrivals Lounge access

We're arriving from ICN at SFO (arrives at 11:00am) on Global First.

The website says something about needing an invitation to the Arrivals Global First Lounge.

How does one practically access the lounge after getting through Customs? Do we go there directly. Is it half-way between Domestic and International Baggage Claim?

WineCountryUA Feb 7, 2015 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by sfonorth (Post 24310956)
.... How does one practically access the lounge after getting through Customs? Do we go there directly. Is it half-way between Domestic and International Baggage Claim?

The SFO Arrivals lounge is outside of security, in T3 on the baggage claim level (at the end nearest International G terminal). There will be signs.

docbert Feb 7, 2015 9:44 pm

Officially, no. Unofficially, I did manage to get in with my parents when they were arriving in GF/departing in F and I wasn't flying at all (got a gate pass using my UC card to get through security). However I would not plan on that working in most situations...

Originally Posted by sfonorth (Post 24310956)
The website says something about needing an invitation to the Arrivals Global First Lounge.

How does one practically access the lounge after getting through Customs? Do we go there directly. Is it half-way between Domestic and International Baggage Claim?

No invitation needed, but hang onto your incoming boarding pass to make things easier.

Easiest way to get there is to turn LEFT after customs. That's the way that they tell you go if you're connecting to another flight, but you can go that way even if you're not connecting. Then left again out of the glass doors, walk until you get to the escalators (re-checking any bags you have on the way), and then turn right. Along a little, and then go right down the stairs/escalators, follow the path a little, and it'll be in front of you.

There are signs, but they aren't great and they are easy to miss...

If you are actually connecting on UA, then you can skip the arrivals lounge and go straight to the GF lounge in the International terminal (same two lefts as above, but when you get to the escalators turn left and go up them and you'll be at the international TSA entry)

lkar Feb 7, 2015 10:30 pm

I will be arriving at SFO flying GF from FRA. I am then flying domestically on WN with a long layover. Will my inbound boarding pass be enough to get me access to the GF lounge, or must I also be connecting to UA?

docbert Feb 7, 2015 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 24311283)
I will be arriving at SFO flying GF from FRA. I am then flying domestically on WN with a long layover. Will my inbound boarding pass be enough to get me access to the GF lounge, or must I also be connecting to UA?

You will need to be on an outgoing UA flight (any class).

The Arrivals lounge is also out as you'll be arriving too late in the day.

st530 Feb 8, 2015 3:12 pm

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

What about LHR? GS arriving in UA BF connecting on *A in C class intra-Europe. Thanks.