FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1653157-global-first-lounge-ifl-gfl-access-questions-experiences-2015-forward.html)

FlightNurse Jun 19, 2015 6:26 am

Originally Posted by AlreadyThere (Post 24982144)
Goodbye JFK GFL... :( Come October you will join the LAX GFL in the great beyond... and I really liked the staff of both of these...

What a horrible looking lounge, it seems that UA has finally got the balls to stop the JFK flights since UA has not flights out of JFK, I'm thinking this is why the JFK GFL was in dire need of repair and updating..

AlreadyThere Jun 19, 2015 7:31 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 24995210)
What a horrible looking lounge, it seems that UA has finally got the balls to stop the JFK flights since UA has not flights out of JFK, I'm thinking this is why the JFK GFL was in dire need of repair and updating..

I don't remember that being the case. However, the JFK GFL was a sanctuary of peace and quiet, where one could work or relax. The UCs at EWR are often an overcrowded madhouse, and as far as I know UA has no intention of replicating the GFL at EWR. This difference in stress alone is enough for me to shift my transcon business to AA, with its FL.

CMK10 Jun 19, 2015 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by AlreadyThere (Post 24995439)
I don't remember that being the case. However, the JFK GFL was a sanctuary of peace and quiet, where one could work or relax. The UCs at EWR are often an overcrowded madhouse, and as far as I know UA has no intention of replicating the GFL at EWR. This difference in stress alone is enough for me to shift my transcon business to AA, with its FL.

Very true. Plus, it was nice being able to mix your own drink just the way you liked it.

FlightNurse Jun 20, 2015 2:55 am

Originally Posted by AlreadyThere (Post 24995439)

The issue is the lounge hasn't been touched in years and it shows, since there are other lounges one can use other than JFk GFL it want be missed.

CopperSteve Jun 20, 2015 3:43 am

At LHR GFL now. Staff member is restocking a fridge with Diet Coke. He squatted down with a case of soda cans, which were wrapped in plastic. He reached up, grabbed a knife from the counter (knives available for patrons, wrapped in a cloth napkin), sliced open the plastic on the soda can box, and slipped the knife back into the cloth napkin.

As I type this, maybe this belongs in the thread on the least substantial thing I can complain about. Still, tacky in the very least.

CMK10 Jun 20, 2015 10:36 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 24999532)
The issue is the lounge hasn't been touched in years and it shows, since there are other lounges one can use other than JFk GFL it want be missed.

Says you, there are plenty of others, myself included, who will miss it and the staff who worked there.

FlightNurse Jun 21, 2015 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 25000788)
Says you, there are plenty of others, myself included, who will miss it and the staff who worked there.

Then UA should keep for all the times yo have used.

bmr12 Jun 21, 2015 7:05 pm

Just was invited by UA to enjoy the GFL lounge here at IAD....not clear on the reason except maybe the A/C in the C7 club is still busted? Lowly 1KMM flying in BF tonight...

porciuscato Jun 23, 2015 10:02 am

I just got to enjoy the Lufthansa First Class Lounge in Frankfurt, based on my UA Global First ticket and GS status.

All I can say is the United's Global "First Class" lounges look unbelievably pathetic in comparison.

With LH, you get:

* A full buffet of gourmet food - Thai, Spanish, Italian. Plus a gourmet menu that you can order from and eat on actual table clothes

* World class selection of wines. I tasted 3 different Bordeauxes and 2 different Pinots. All excellent.

* Real resting rooms - real beds with sheets

* Complimentary cigar room with cognac, armagnac, etc.

Compare that to the UAL lounge at JFK: 6 stale shrimp with a piece of plastic wrap on them and some wraps that have little chunks of ice in them and freezer burn. All in a college-dorm refrigerator.

Then there's the SFO GFL lounge with a measly selection of fake-crab sushi and screw-top wines.

Or NRT GFL, where the stuffing is coming out of the upholstery and the food is no better than the UC. Apparently United thinks cup-o-noodles is First Class standard food. Thankfully Lufthansa doesn't.

But most of all, Lufthansa completely smokes UA in service. All of the staff were extremely pleasant, solicitous, and helpful. Compare that to SFO GFL, where the only focus is on how they might possibly deny you access.

United should be embarrassed and ashamed.

Always Flyin Jun 23, 2015 11:11 am

UA lounges leave a lot to be desired, but in all fairness the LH HON Lounges at FRA are the best lounges in the world. Everything else pales in comparison.

bmwe92fan Jun 23, 2015 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin (Post 25015426)
UA lounges leave a lot to be desired, but in all fairness the LH HON Lounges at FRA are the best lounges in the world. Everything else pales in comparison.

Oh I don't know - my best experience in an lounge was in BKK in the Thai first class lounge - I didn't want to leave! Singapore airlines private rooms are nice too! Seriously though - LH gets FC right in FRA....

kevanyalowitz Jun 23, 2015 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato (Post 25015044)
Then there's the SFO GFL lounge with a measly selection of fake-crab sushi and screw-top wines.

I don't know, they do have Ruinart champagne which is ~$70/bottle and descent and Jordan cab which is ~$50 per bottle.

Does it compete with LH? No. Is it better than anything sCO stations offer "premium" passengers? Yes.

porciuscato Jun 23, 2015 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz (Post 25016668)
I don't know, they do have Ruinart champagne which is ~$70/bottle and descent and Jordan cab which is ~$50 per bottle.

The only GFL where I've seen good red (eg Stags Leap) was ORD. SFO, JFK et al feature <$10 stuff.

kirkwoodj Jun 23, 2015 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato (Post 25015044)
I just got to enjoy the Lufthansa First Class Lounge in Frankfurt, based on my UA Global First ticket and GS status.

All I can say is the United's Global "First Class" lounges look unbelievably pathetic in comparison.

With LH, you get:

* A full buffet of gourmet food - Thai, Spanish, Italian. Plus a gourmet menu that you can order from and eat on actual table clothes

* World class selection of wines. I tasted 3 different Bordeauxes and 2 different Pinots. All excellent.

* Real resting rooms - real beds with sheets

* Complimentary cigar room with cognac, armagnac, etc.

Compare that to the UAL lounge at JFK: 6 stale shrimp with a piece of plastic wrap on them and some wraps that have little chunks of ice in them and freezer burn. All in a college-dorm refrigerator.

Or NRT GFL, where the stuffing is coming out of the upholstery and the food is no better than the UC. Apparently United thinks cup-o-noodles is First Class standard food. Thankfully Lufthansa doesn't.

But most of all, Lufthansa completely smokes UA in service. All of the staff were extremely pleasant, solicitous, and helpful. Compare that to SFO GFL, where the only focus is on how they might possibly deny you access.

Don't forget the LH First Class rubber ducky! :)

Kacee Jun 23, 2015 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan (Post 25015842)
Oh I don't know - my best experience in an lounge was in BKK in the Thai first class lounge - I didn't want to leave! Singapore airlines private rooms are nice too! Seriously though - LH gets FC right in FRA....

The tarmac pick-up/ride to the gate in the AMG Merc at FRA is an essential travel experience. As is the buggy ride through the Royal Silk lounge at BKK :)